• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I'm not one for mecha :X or sports

I also don't like space anime >< in my mind the art style and anime platform best serves fantasy series, I just can't get attached to the above.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Woah, could you expound on this?
I actually don't know much about it beyond what I said, but a quick google search should tell you all about it I'd say. Heavy spoilers though if you wanna watch it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Considering some of the most iconic anime are space and sports that is a pretty strange mind you have. I guess it is all personal taste though.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
someone said mech's... gundam... neon genesis evangelion... GUNDAM!

I don't mind sport anime it's nice to see how the animators animate them and make it looks so cool when in reality playing a sport doesn't look like your kicking a ball that then turns into fire (Inuzama 11).

I like anime that involve Mech's, I love Mobile Suit Gundam, I've seen every series and currently watching Gundam Build Fighters which if you build gunpla will make you squeal in enjoyment at every episode.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've only seen about two space anime throughout my entire life, with the most recent being Galaxy Angel Rune. It wasn't bad, but the story was just... sort of bland, I guess. Not the worst, but definitely could've been better. d:

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
I'm pretty confident anyone that says they don't like mecha have either seen bad ones or haven't seen good ones. It's hit or miss for me, though more often than not hit. If people who say they don't like mecha had seen Eureka 7 or Gurren Lagann I bet my life they'd say they like them.
Funny thing is that there are people who love TTGL, but don't want to watch anything mecha because they don't like mecha. That doesn't make any sense, because TTGL's formula is the classic Super Robot formula. Unless they are just liking TTGL because it's popular, they would probably enjoy stuff like GaoGaiGar, Shin Mazinger Z, Mazinkaiser (original and SKL), Getter Robo Armageddon etc.

But I guess people mostly watch the newest stuff, and 2010s aren't really a decade for mecha. As a mecha fan, I don't think I liked any mecha from that period except Gundam Unicorn and Aquarion EVOL. I still need to catch up with Build Fighters.

I also love sports anime. I'm currently watching A****a no Joe and I'm loving it. But who wouldn't love it with Osamu Dezaki behind it. I guess that one of my favorite sport anime is Captain Tsubasa. I just love that show. I do need to watch some Adachi works like Touch and H2.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Funny thing is that there are people who love TTGL, but don't want to watch anything mecha because they don't like mecha. That doesn't make any sense, because TTGL's formula is the classic Super Robot formula. Unless they are just liking TTGL because it's popular, they would probably enjoy stuff like GaoGaiGar, Shin Mazinger Z, Mazinkaiser (original and SKL), Getter Robo Armageddon etc.
Well... in fact... TTGL is mecha that is not mecha =D
I don't know about you but I don't think TTGL is a typical mecha anime.
It is mecha but in the same time it's not =D

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I also love sports anime. I'm currently watching A****a no Joe and I'm loving it.
My man. It's a classic that's unfortunately buried.

I do need to watch some Adachi works like Touch and H2.
Adachi is incredible to me just because of Cross Game. About to start Touch actually, so looking forward to it. I love the guy's subtlety in Cross Game, so hopefully that's gonna be in Touch.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yeeeahh. TTGL isn't really.. mecha. xD There's a mecha in it, but it's way too character driven, and plot-driven, to be a typical beat-em-up mecha fighting show. The mecha itself isn't what most people think about when they think of Gurren Lagann. Or, at least I don't. .w.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Indeed, a loving parody of the super robot genre is probably the best description for TTGL. Although the super robot genre is pretty much full of shows you could call parody, not many of them take themselves too seriously.

Most mecha shows aren't about the actual mecha. Super robot shows tend to be character/fight driven and real robot are usually plot/character.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Yeeeahh. TTGL isn't really.. mecha. xD There's a mecha in it, but it's way too character driven, and plot-driven, to be a typical beat-em-up mecha fighting show. The mecha itself isn't what most people think about when they think of Gurren Lagann. Or, at least I don't. .w.
Then I guess most Gundams aren't mecha either, because they are mostly focused on characters/wars/politics etc.

Years

I don't think of mechas first with a lot of series that are Mecha series. With NGE, I think "angst!", with Code Geass, I think "Pizza shill", and with Eureka 7, my first thought is "character development". Honestly, the only mecha series that comes to mind that my first thought is "mechas!" is Gundam, and of the seasons I've watched (Gundam 00 in my case), that has dramatically more focus on the characters than the mechas.

As for TTGL, the first five things I think of are "Believe in the me who believes in you!", drills, furries, giant robots, and parody-like robot fusions. If robots are in the first five things you think about, it's probably a mecha.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Right. XD;

The only actual mecha series to me, are all the Gundam series, who's draw and merchandize were based around the mechas themselves.

And ZetaZaku, yeah Gundam does have good characters, buuut a lot of the advertising and draw, and toy tales, and games were all about the mechas. The models used to be all over toy stores, and the games were all mech fighting. xD So that to me, is what differentiates Gundam from Gurren Lagann and others, where outside the show, the mecha's aren't really used to market the series. That's my personal opinion, anyhoo.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I hate mecha but like TTGL so it must not be mecha.
Valid... Lappy says.

I don't think of mechas first with a lot of series that are Mecha series. With NGE, I think "angst!", with Code Geass, I think "Pizza shill", and with Eureka 7, my first thought is "character development". Honestly, the only mecha series that comes to mind that my first thought is "mechas!" is Gundam, and of the seasons I've watched (Gundam 00 in my case), that has dramatically more focus on the characters than the mechas.
Hey, wait, why is Code Geass associated with pizza for you? =D

As for TTGL, the first five things I think of are "Believe in the me who believes in you!", drills, furries, giant robots, and parody-like robot fusions. If robots are in the first five things you think about, it's probably a mecha.
Agree with these 5 things but it's...
1) Believing
2) Drills
3) Piercing (drills obviously, you know?)
4) Universe
5) Boota Glasses

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I have a friend who refuses to finish TTGL, because he stopped watching
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
I have a friend who refuses to finish TTGL, because he stopped watching after Kamina dies. I still give him a hard time for it. Kamina might be a cool character, but the series is still awesome enough later on. Ugh. xD;
Would telling him Kamina makes a cameo at the end (or at least, I think he does. It's been a couple of years since I saw TTGL) be enough motivation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back