• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The shrine of Celebi: writing memories from PokéCommunity

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday

Hello there~
    I found myself going through some older threads from either this, the Roleplay, or the Fanfiction forums, and that - coupled with the fact that I'm relatively new compared to some other writers here - has inspired me to make this little topic! A topic where I'd like to ask...
    Do you have any special memories that are connected to some roleplay or fanfiction you've posted or seen here some time ago? Was the atmosphere any different, maybe? And did you notice some changes in your writing style as well over time?

For example, I joined PC back in 2016 (crazy to think about, uh?) and it happened right as the World building section was being experimented with. I remember going straight into it and starting a little thread about my Pokémon Region, which I ended up not continuing for long (sadly) but happened to be one of the first places where I started making friends and acquaintances. After all, that worldbuilding event that was set up at the time was just a perfect fit for my fangame creator aspirations!
    My english ended up being better than I expected, but was still a far cry from the level I've reached today, and it's interesting although a bit cringy as well to look back on it. I had most of the vocabulary down and the grammar seemed fine for all I know, it's just that the writing style was more stiff and less expressive back then... something that I'm still improving on, especially thanks to roleplaying.

ngl i'm quite curious to know how Writer's Lounge as a forum used to be a long time ago, even if i'm already a mod here... oops!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Writer's Lounge has been a quiet space with scarce visitors for the past decade. Before that, I don't know if it was different or called something else? idr :3

I discovered the RP area when its main forum was for OOC threads and there were two subforums, one for pokemon RPs and one for other RPs, iirc. OOC threads also weren't required; you could have people sign up in an IC thread and then just start playing. People would add in OOC talk in double parenthesis at the start or end of posts, especially when there wasn't a thread for such talk. And while there eventually appeared Skype groups for different RPs, there was no such thing as Discord d: I must say I prefer the way things are now ahah.

I like the time when we started the official PC RP discord, where we had our own minimods to help out and GMs could have channels for their RPs to recruit and/or chitchat, and ofc other general stuff. It was a nice era c: Now it's more about being part of more private friend-Discords afaik.

I'll always cherish the first journey RPs I joined in, and also basically all superhero RPs I've joined - although sometimes shortlived (not looking at you, Atlantis) they've always been memorable!

Bay

Years
  • My first fic posted here was, oh gosh 2006. It was for a fic contest over at Serebii forums. Back then there's no Google Docs but if you post your fic somewhere else besides Serebii you can link it and that's what I did. The premise was a comedy where Pokemon were making movies (this was before Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was a thing too lol). I eventually made a sequel but it didn't get much traction.

I also remember the Daily Chit Chat thread for the Fanfiction and Writing section and there were entertaining discussions there. However people seemed to care more about talking about their writings instead of going checking out someone else's writings, hence why that thread got closed.

I remember the atmosphere pre-2015 there were some interests in reviewing fics and many would have at least a couple of comments on it. Now during this day and age most people would go post and comment on FFnet and AO3. And even in those sites comments are rare to come by unless you have a popular ship and/or fanfic trope. I tried to do like review games and exchanges and those would work a few months/times and then just stopped.

As far as my writing style goes, I think some days I felt it has changed and I noticed I've been using more body language and stronger prose. Some days though I felt like I've not been improving at all. Maybe it's me rereading my writing a thousand times and my brain jumbled up lol.

Back