• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 8 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • interesting... the more I scroll through this thread the more I see people with exhaustive lists of their absolute perfect Pokemon game and I'm really starting to see why there's so much letdown year after year.

this isn't to say that Game Freak can't do better (they most certainly can), but I think some of it is on the fault of some of the fans for having such.... slightly unrealistic expectations for what a small studio can even do. we're talking Game Freak, not Nintendo, here.

Last edited:

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • interesting... the more I scroll through this thread the more I see people with exhaustive lists of their absolute perfect Pokemon game and I'm really starting to see why there's so much letdown year after year.

this isn't to say that Game Freak can't do better (they most certainly can), but I think some of it is on the fault of some of the fans for having such.... slightly unrealistic expectations for what a small studio can even do. we're talking Game Freak, not Nintendo, here.

I think the let down really only started in 2015 with no Z. XY were not bad at all but just felt empty but people thought a Z would fix that. I think Gen 7 is the only real time people were let down since USUMO was literally announced way too soon and really was uneeded since SM actually fixed the feeling empty part XY had. Not to mention LGPE pissing many people off.

Kinda off topic but personally I'd be ok with it if pokemon prior to Gen 8 were not catchable. Like if they made it so the handheld era is separate and the only way you can get them is transferring. It would be interesting imo.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years

Yeah, I can see you're point. Some of us did go over the top. But what I feel the games really lack are imagination, which I would love to see. The last time something truly exciting came up was the UB arc in SM. This isn't asking for much, so I think it's reasonable. A Pokemon version of JP, where you can go around catching fossil pokemon and finding fossils. Doesn't need to look toooo advanced, something like the safari zone will suffice.

Years
  • Game Freak will think about themselves on what idea of new regions and new Pokemon creature should look like, i know this forum is associated with Nintendo at alll, and its not part of an Nintendo community at all, so i guess Game Freak will handle all by themselves.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Gen 8, I feel, will be less hand-hold-ey. From what we saw, they said the games are for true fans or something along those lines, so it'll prolly be really good. The thing is, GF is trying to expand their fanbase. I can't really speculate about the story, because there were no viable hints towards it.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • I'm actually very scared tbh. I really want this to be a good solid game but idk. I just don't want it to look like LGPE. I want it to have it's own aesthetic to separate itself from the GO series.

Gen 8, I feel, will be less hand-hold-ey. From what we saw, they said the games are for true fans or something along those lines, so it'll prolly be really good. The thing is, GF is trying to expand their fanbase. I can't really speculate about the story, because there were no viable hints towards it.

Considering the Switch is being aimed at teens and adults in promos and the vibe of Detective Pikachu I'm hoping GF is trying to go a new direction and make it more mature. I'm not saying gory stuff I'm talking about themes,being harder and less holding your hand. I''m not sure why people think whenever someone says they want Pokemon to be more mature they think gore. Maturity really isn't about swearing or gory stuff after all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I still want Game Freak to go back to 2D; it's what they do best.

I would *also* be ok with Genius Sonority coming back just so I can hear their piano jingle again

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    I still want Game Freak to go back to 2D; it's what they do best.

I would *also* be ok with Genius Sonority coming back just so I can hear their piano jingle again

I agree that when they went 3d it was harder for them to put more actual content in the games, the limitations were too noticeable. They weren´t ready. Now for switch i hope they got the hang of it by now, but honestly, i think that this new games will be the same as last ones with slightly better graphics.
    Tomorrow we will see it seems. If they show anything apart of logos they will like to say if the game has a larger scale compared to others or not. I hope they show the starters so we can finally debunk of confirm the theory about the fire starters so everybody can not annoy others with that anymore.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I agree that when they went 3d it was harder for them to put more actual content in the games, the limitations were too noticeable. They weren´t ready. Now for switch i hope they got the hang of it by now, but honestly, i think that this new games will be the same as last ones with slightly better graphics.
    Tomorrow we will see it seems. If they show anything apart of logos they will like to say if the game has a larger scale compared to others or not. I hope they show the starters so we can finally debunk of confirm the theory about the fire starters so everybody can not annoy others with that anymore.

Yeah. I would hope so too, though to me, Let's Go was a bit of a hint that they either didn't get the hang of it, or didn't want to show it yet. Granted Let's go looks absolutely gorgeous, but it was still a 3D game stuck in a 2D world, which has been every post-Gen V game.

And yeah I'm not holding my breath for anything except for a logo and a description of what the region will be... :)

Last edited:

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • Yeah. I would hope so too, though to me, Let's Go was a bit of a hint that they either didn't get the hang of it, or didn't want to show it yet. Granted Let's go looks absolutely gorgeous, but it was still a 3D game stuck in a 2D world, which has been every post-Gen V game.

And yeah I'm not holding my breath for anything except for a logo and a description of what the region will be... :)

I mean since they even said LGPE was for noobs and GO people I can see them not having put much effort in it. With that said I also get people saying Pokemon was better in 2D.

Totally unrelated but I'd love for branching storylines depending on the choices you make. It would be interesting for Pokemon to try it.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • I mean since they even said LGPE was for noobs and GO people I can see them not having put much effort in it. With that said I also get people saying Pokemon was better in 2D.

Totally unrelated but I'd love for branching storylines depending on the choices you make. It would be interesting for Pokemon to try it.

Branching storylines, hell no. In the sense, I wouldn't mind, but the thing is, it's too damn hard. Also, I think for the direct today, there won't be much they'll reveal except for the logos, maybe the starters, and a small indication of what the region will be like. The games themselves, I think they'll be based off of a European country, like the UK, or maybe something else, idk. Also, anyone else want a post apocalyptic type game?

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • Imagine parkour in the game. Being able to move fluidly would be so nice compared to how still you. Plus it would be cool to do those movement you see Ash and the manga trainers do unlike the movement we have where it is like you have a rod in your pooper. Imagine fluid movement if they bring the skates back too.

Branching storylines, hell no. In the sense, I wouldn't mind, but the thing is, it's too damn hard. Also, I think for the direct today, there won't be much they'll reveal except for the logos, maybe the starters, and a small indication of what the region will be like. The games themselves, I think they'll be based off of a European country, like the UK, or maybe something else, idk. Also, anyone else want a post apocalyptic type game?

I think because it is hard is why they should do it. GameFreak plays it safe way too much so them branching out would be nice. XY was like them not wanting to get hurt but SM was literally them wearing a helmet while eating soup. -_- Don't forget the Q&A where it is possible we will have more info too. So even if the Direct is meh we still have a chance of more stuff

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    All doubts about the fire starters zodiac theory are gone now. Confirmed, we can move on.
    I'm hyped. The only thing that concerns me it's that the region looks TOO linear. But it's not like the last games weren´t so...

Last edited:

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • All doubts about the fire starters zodiac theory are gone now. Confirmed, we can move on.
    I'm hyped. The only thing that concerns me it's that the region looks TOO linear. But it's not like the last games weren´t so...

It might be linear to be more open. Which I know to most would sound weird but maybe they allow you to take certain paths while not being open world. Hope that makes sense.

I know it is crazy but imagine if Gens 8,9 and 10 are all one big connected trilogy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back