• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Generation 8 Pokémon that Should Have Gotten Gigantamax Forms But Didn't.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    For the purposes of this discussion, I wanna limit this discussion to Gen 8 Pokémon. There are 18 Pokémon from Gen 8 that have Gigantamax forms currently, but which ones do you think SHOULD have gotten Gigantamax forms but didn't? Also, include your reasons for why that specific Pokémon should have gotten a Gigantamax form.

For me, it'd have to be:

• Boltund: given that Yamper was literally one of the first Gen 8 Pokémon revealed and has played an important part in the game story (being Sonia's only known Pokémon), it seems weird that they didn't give its evolution a way to take advantage of this Gen's main battle mechanic. It would have been very cool to be able to battle Sonia at some point and have her ace be a Gigantamax Boltund.

• Dragapult: it is the pseudo-legendary, so I think it would have made sense.

• Eldegoss: wasn't this supposed to be Milo's ace and the one he Dynamaxes when you first fight him? I just think it would have been better symmetry if they gave Eldegoss a G-Max form instead of switching it out for Appletun. Although, I do like G-Max Appletun/Flapple.

pkmin3033

Honestly? I think all final evolutions should have gotten one. Assuming certain Pokemon share a Gmax form - Indeedee, Eiscue, the fossils, etc - that's only around 50 Gmax Pokemon. INCLUDING the ones from Gen VIII we already had. Would that really have been so hard? It would have made Gen VIII feel a lot more complete than it did, and would have shown that they had put some actual thought into the entire concept, rather than treating it as yet another gimmick. If Gen VIII were bigger than I would think that unreasonable, but...yeah, no. That's not unreasonable at all.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Boltund would have been a particularly good Pokemon for that choice, given the discussion had about it in an earlier thread and Daily article about it. Potential unrealised there.

Another in particular would be the Legendary Dogs themselves. The fact they don't even dynamax is odd to me, let alone g-max.
    Honestly? I think all final evolutions should have gotten one. Assuming certain Pokemon share a Gmax form - Indeedee, Eiscue, the fossils, etc - that's only around 50 Gmax Pokemon. INCLUDING the ones from Gen VIII we already had. Would that really have been so hard? It would have made Gen VIII feel a lot more complete than it did, and would have shown that they had put some actual thought into the entire concept, rather than treating it as yet another gimmick. If Gen VIII were bigger than I would think that unreasonable, but...yeah, no. That's not unreasonable at all.
    Fair point there; would have been nice, and would have better highlighted the Gigantamax-feature.

Years
  • I agree that they should've made all the Galar ones able to GMax. Especially Boltund.
    And really, I expected Wooloo or Dubwool to have something special since they are all over the place in the story for added cuteness. Heck, make a GMax Wooloo just a giant ball of fluff and I'd be a happy camper. ;D

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Tbh, Frosmoth should have. I honestly don't know why it wasn't given one. Other than that, everyone has already said what I was thinking, tbh for Galar.

Alpha Snowdust

Eevee Enthusiast
    Years
    • She/Her or They/Them
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    I'm with Dubwool and Eldegloss. I even thought of a good G-Max move name for either of them - GMax Cotton Drown. Imagine... they get more floofy...

It would've been nice to see Boltund with a G-Max form. But idk how that might look?

Galarian Cursola... Galarian Rapidash (give it wings?)... Frosmoth... there are so many possibilities that could've been implemented.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2020
    I concur that they should've made all the Galar ones ready to GMax. Particularly Boltund. I sincerely don't have the foggiest idea why it wasn't given one. Other than that, everybody has just said my opinion, tbh for Galar.

Years
  • if this thread tells me anything, it says that GMax is just gonna be another fad that GameFreak will abandon for next gen :'c honestly wouldn't see a reason why they wouldn't make forms for all evolved mons. it's not like they have limited capabilities or space for them or something, after all Dexit's a thing.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Ideally, every Pokémon. D-max just looks like a boring and uncreative way to include every Pokémon and make them feel special, while other well liked ones (and some extras like Kingler) get a new, cool form. But since that's impossible without breaking the yearly release rule TPC put on themselves since Gen 6, and I think I'm supposed to list something...

- Appletun should've gotten a different G-max form. It makes sense for Flapple (kinda) since the apple still exists with it although it's part of its body, but Appletun is an apple pie that reverts back again to an apple. It doesn't make any sense.

- Frosmoth should've gotten one too. It's already got a good design, it's universally loved, and it also needs it in some way.

- Eiscue and Stonjourner. I just love them. While Eiscue is one of my favorite Pokémon, and the idea of an Stonehenge Pokémon is really cool, I gotta admit both of them look a bit plain (especially for version exclusives), and will most likely be forgotten in Gen 9 and I don't want that.

- G-max Falinks would've been something interesting to look at. Could either be a super soldier or each Falinks stay the same size but the leader has an entire army behind it. I doubt it would be any more useful, but neither are Centiskorch's or the apples.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • - Appletun should've gotten a different G-max form. It makes sense for Flapple (kinda) since the apple still exists with it although it's part of its body, but Appletun is an apple pie that reverts back again to an apple. It doesn't make any sense.
    Especially yes here. It's weird it shares the same one...

- G-max Falinks would've been something interesting to look at. Could either be a super soldier or each Falinks stay the same size but the leader has an entire army behind it. I doubt it would be any more useful, but neither are Centiskorch's or the apples.
    I am reminded of this cool fan design of a G-Max form for Falinks.

Back