• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Life] Gem of the Society: Cultural Heritage and Traditions Club

Years
"...In the name of so called Modern Era... We have forgotten who really we are... Do you even know how did your Society emerged?.. Humph.... I know some of you didn't... ...THEN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU?!.. ...I ASK YOU!! ..WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!.. ...WHERE YOUR ANCESTORS EMERGED FROM?! WHAT'S YOUR CULTURE??... ...I know that I spoke harshly... ...But do you want the answers of these questions I asked above?? If yes then there's only one way... ...that is research... ...So my friends, I invite you to join Cultural Heritage and Traditions Club... ...Take a step towards the ocean of your Culture and Traditions, and find out what you have missed in your life..."

-TheKillerRedSkull

Name*:
Age*:
Hobby*:
Researching on:

Note: Researching on means about which culture you are going to study about. It is not necessary that you must research your own culture, you may research on others too, and also you may research on more than one.

What you are gonna do here?​

In this club, You are going to choose on what you are going to learn about or research about. But it is compulsory to share your findings, experiences about what you have found out. Also there's a Little Contest about the best research and a Hall of Fame on this Post.

At last before leaving, Remember to respect your Culture and Traditions and also respect others too.
Do not make a fun of one's Cultural Beliefs and Traditions.

With this Goodbye Fellas!

Member's List
Spoiler:

Hall Of Fame

Last edited:
Years
I'm really excited for this club. It's such a unique idea. Sign me up as a
member!

Name*: Sam

Age*: Year of the Dragon

Hobby*: Reading and writing fanfiction especially Harry Potter, Pokemon and Lord of the Rings, custom-making pullip dolls, shiny hunting, anything science fiction or fantasy, cooking, veganism, animals

Religion: I have a Christian background. The city that I live in was settled by the Moravians, one of the historic peace churches like the Quakers and the Amish. I am very open-minded however, and currently questioning. I enjoy reading and learning about all religions, and am working to expand my knowledge of Eastern religions. Some of my most recent purchases are books about Buddhism.

Researching on:* I love mythology and folklore from all over the world. I was first introduced to Greek mythology in a Cultural History class in middle school, and fell in love with the Greek gods. I want to publish a novel on the Trojan War, the story of Cassandra always resonated with me. Legend has it that she was the daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba of Troy. The sun God Apollo fell in love with Kassandra, and gave her the gift of prophecy. When she didn't return his love however, be cursed her by making it so that nobody would believe her prophecies.

I have spent years researching the Achaeans- bronze age Greeks, the historical site of Troy, which would be present-day Turkey, and the Hittite Empire, which Troy was a vassal state of, and what presence and influence the Hittites had here. For the purpose of the novel I have also researched the Ancient Minoan civilization/Crete, and their influence on Mycenean Greece.

My creative writing projects have spurred me to learn as much as I can about the cultures I am writing about so that I can hopefully do justice to my subjects. I have recently become very interested in Russia's Rurik dynasty, particularly the Byzantine princess Sophia who married Ivan the III, known as Ivan the Great. She was nice of the last Byzantine Emperor and survived the fall of Constantinople. I have a story planned about the legacy of Sophia.

I am also interested in researching more about Indonesian traditions, and the royal family of Java. The legend of Nyai Loro Kidul the sea goddess that is said to be the companion of sultans has really inspired me. I have always loved tales of royalty.

Years
Spoiler:

Congratulations Sam!

You are now an official member of the Club. Please board the Mighty Airship to begin your exciting journey!

Years
Name*: Figure / Dillon
Age*: 26
Hobby*: Hmm mainly lifting, cooking, and playing video games.
Religion: Dad's a Protestant when it benefits him and Mom's Catholic but I am not anything really besides skeptical.
Researching on:* Norse Mythology and tradition, all of my heritage can be traced back to the Germanic Tribes and most of it to Germany and Norway so it is something I find to be very intersting.

Years
Spoiler:

Congratulations Dillon!

You are also an official member of the Club. Please board the Mighty Airship to begin your exciting journey!

Years
Congratulations Sam!

You are now an official member of the Club. Please board the Mighty Airship to begin your exciting journey!

I am happy to be aboard! /Hugs you
This is going to be a great expedition with you all.

Name*: Figure / Dillon
Age*: 26
Hobby*: Hmm mainly lifting, cooking, and playing video games.
Religion: Dad's a Protestant when it benefits him and Mom's Catholic but I am not anything really besides skeptical.
Researching on:* Norse Mythology and tradition, all of my heritage can be traced back to the Germanic Tribes and most of it to Germany and Norway so it is something I find to be very intersting.

I love Norse mythology! The Vikings were such a fearless people. Congratulations on knowing your heritage, and exploring the stories of your ancestors.

According to my DNA test with Ancestry.com I have a drop of Norwegian ancestry and the Germanic region in general, and a little Swedish. Through the records left behind by my mother's side of the family I was able to venture back several generations to when back to the 17th century when some of my forefathers left the Rhine area and immigrated to America. There's a touch of French in my DNA too, and bit of Portuguese. My European side is for the most part The British Isles, Wales & I think Scotland last time I checked my DNA profile. All of it is interesting to me though. I want to know every country that makes up part of who I am, no matter how big or small that part is.

I'm American DOS, and my black roots go back to Nigeria, Mali, Congo, Cameroon, Benin Togo, Ghana, The Ivory Coast and Senegal. The country I would most like to visit in west Africa is Mali I think once the conflict in the region settles down. It's not only where I had ancestors, but like Egypt or Morocco it has a legacy of architecture and art from the ancient world, it's full of grand historic sites like pyramids, palaces, libraries and mosques.

Years
I am happy to be aboard! /Hugs you
This is going to be a great expedition with you all.

I love Norse mythology! The Vikings were such a fearless people. Congratulations on knowing your heritage, and exploring the stories of your ancestors.

According to my DNA test with Ancestry.com I have a drop of Norwegian ancestry and the Germanic region in general, and a little Swedish. Through the records left behind by my mother's side of the family I was able to venture back several generations to when back to the 17th century when some of my forefathers left the Rhine area and immigrated to America. There's a touch of French in my DNA too, and bit of Portuguese. My European side is for the most part The British Isles, Wales & I think Scotland last time I checked my DNA profile. All of it is interesting to me though. I want to know every country that makes up part of who I am, no matter how big or small that part is.

I'm American DOS, and my black roots go back to Nigeria, Mali, Congo, Cameroon, Benin Togo, Ghana, The Ivory Coast and Senegal. The country I would most like to visit in west Africa is Mali I think once the conflict in the region settles down. It's not only where I had ancestors, but like Egypt or Morocco it has a legacy of architecture and art from the ancient world, it's full of grand historic sites like pyramids, palaces, libraries and mosques.

Very cool! I did 23 and Me and I like that it updates, I assume Ancestry does as well. And I was wrong my ancestry breakdown is: British Isles 40% (Greater London, County Galway), Scandinavian 40% (Hordaland, Skane County), and German 20% (Bavaria). The parenthesis are the regions where my ancestry is strongest and the percentages are approximations but it is still super cool to see. I also have more Neanderthal DNA than 80% of people which is interesting! Some variants associated with it is not getting angry when hungry, which is accurate since I fast daily! Less likely to be afraid of height, ziplining is my shit. Worse sense of direction... my girlfriend always gives me shit because I need to use Google maps to get places I have been several times. 😂

Another thing I do to kind of pay homage to my heritage is cooking and language. I love cooking German foods and my girlfriend surprised me with Magnus Nillson's The Nordic Cookbook and it is an awesome book! I take German on Duolingo but I am not very disciplined with it. 😅

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Name: Seliph/Chris
Hobby: Arting, reading books, walking in circles for hours on end thinking and connecting dots
Religion: none, there's some Christian past from two or three generations ago, but that kinda stopped long before I was born
Researching on: anything and everything, I'm fairly random and tend to pick up the weirdest stuff

Most of what I usually learn about comes from picking older books and at some point reading some context behind those books. The last book for example had some ancient babylonian background. Did you know that they invented a mathematical system that was based around the number 60? And that we still use that exact system for things like angles and time messure?
I've also read part of the Old Testament, at least until it got to the boring stuff. I've also read a little bit into Norse mythology. In part because I was doing some research on the weapon Gungnr (the spear worn by Odin). One takeaway was that some of the weekdays are still references to norse gods (e.g. Wednesday=Wodan/Odin, Thursday=Thor, Friday=Freij). Another book that I read many years ago was about an expedition to Iceland where researchers wanted to find the place most probably to have been used as an inspiration of the description of Ragnarök as described in the Edda.
I also have still a little bit of knowledge about Roman culture due to having learned Latin for a couple years back in school. For instance that the Romans took over Greek mythology because they loved it so much. Also July being named after Julius Caesar and August named after Augustus who wanted to be viewed as at least as important as his father. Being "equal" is the reason why both have 31 days. And because summer is cooler than winter and being among the goods (the first six months are named after their important goods while those later on ar just numbered) is why they are month 7 and 8. That's why September is the 9th month even though it translates to 7th month.

I'm not really into my family's history. It may just be that I'm not much of a fan of my family in general.

I'm also not particularly into German culture. Well, there's a point to be made that Germany doesn't actually have any sort of culture; at least according to some scholars.
We had three empires. The first one is kinda forgettable and the second and the third aren't exactly heroes of history, especially the third. If we were to say we had a culture we would basically accept what the Nazis said and did as part of our culture, the killing of tons of innocent people.
There's a sort of responsibility, sure, to be aware of the past and do anything we can to never repeat it. However, it very much comes of as a sort of "inherited guilt". It's something that I see around me but also in the way I think, myself. Basically: if you ever end up talking to a German and you end up talking about the sins of the past, chances are that they feel very guilty about it and start apologizing.
Another point of Germany not having a culture: when in 1990 the country got reunited it wasn't actually reunited as a nation of its own, but rather as member of the EU. That's why you may never see Germany make decisions based on Germany as a nation and why usually when you hear about the EU making decisions the name "Germany" will usually come up.
Interestingly enough, even though the reunion was 30 years ago, there's still a hugh divide between the east and the west. Part of that comes from how the western nations rebuilt the western party by pouring money into it while the USSR back then rather spend more time taking anything they could carry out of the east as a sort of paying reparations. After the reunion the west had tried for 30 years to rebuilt the east (which they weren't happy about). But while it helped a bit, the divide is still very present. The young people for example like to move to the richer west leaving behind an ever increasing populace of older people who in the current political climate (think immigration) find themselves ever more inclined to agree with a certain nationalist party (called AfD, "Alternative für Deutschland" ("Alternative for Germany")).

Years
Spoiler:

Welcome Abroad Salior Seliph!!

Years
Spoiler:

Ancestry DNA has updated my DNA profile 2 or 3 times. It's a good thing that they work continuously to provide the most up-to-date information available to science over the years as their resources grow, at the same time it can be a bit of a climb to process all of the new influxes of changing information. I have stopped counting the estimated percentages for each country because I know those numbers are going to juggle around, and sometimes it's by surprisingly large margins, at least that is how it has been on my journey through history. When I first received results from my DNA test two years ago it showed I think only 1% Nigerian ancestry, however the updated information in recent months shows that Nigeria actually had a much more prominent role to play in my making it seems, and Ancestry DNA's current estimation is 29% for me. Entire countries have been revealed to me that my family never knew of that were also not at first detected with the database and science available at the time, but in follow up reports. So I no longer set down the numbers since I could be in for another surprise some day soon, life's full of em.

That's really significant that you discovered something as rare as DNA markers for the Neanderthals. I have always been moved seeing some of the cave paintings, burial mounds and instruments made my the Neanderthals, and think it is nice that they did not entirely disappear from our world, and a little part of them survives in some unique individuals like yourself today.

Would you mind sharing a little of that Magnus Nillson Nordic Cookbook some day? That sounds like tremendous fun! Since you are a a great cook and interested in learning about world history I was wondering if you have ever checked out the YouTube channel Tasting History with Max Miller? I love it because he demonstrates how to make cuisine from all over the world from many different eras in time, so you get an often colorful history lesson while also getting a recipe for something that's usually delicious.

Good luck also in your German classes. Since there is so much overlap between German and English you might end up picking it up the language faster than you think.

Spoiler:

Welcome to the club Chris! I'm happy to have you with us. The Babylonians were a mighty civilization indeed. I noticed that you were reading The Epic Gilgamesh in the Book Club, and glad to meet a fellow lover of ancient texts. I have done some research also into Babylonian astronomical system as well. My mom passed down to me a collection of books on the Babylonians, Assyrians, Egyptians and Hittites that has been great help to me as I learn about the ancient near East for my own writing, since I tend to like historical novels.

This time of year always gets me thinking about the Norse, since Yuletide has just begun and this would be the time for the Celebrations of Odin and his Wild Hunt. Ancient Rome as well because the Saturnalia would also be celebrated. So good picks on you.

I wanted to mention also though while talking about recent history that I think a nation can confront and be educated about the wrongs of it's past, and still have a meaningful cultural heritage with good things that can be celebrated too as we learn from the bad. I hope that you and any other members seeing this don't count yourself as less somehow because you have family members that came from Germany.

There's art in German caves that is 40,000 years old. The contributions to music, the printing system, developments in religion, architectural styles, the culinary world, philosophy and the sciences that I think give Germany a culture that's more than WWII. Your heritage has Mozart in it, Einstein and heroic Germans like Dietrich Bonhoepper who fought against the Nazis in the resistance too.

I enjoy my share of literature by German authors like Franz Kafka and Thomas Mann. One of my favorite movies is an animated film called Prince Achmed by a pioneering woman artist and inventor named Lotte Reiniger, and it's the oldest animated feature in the world that has survived history.

Some of my favorite actors are of German ancestry like Christoph Waltz, Klaus Kinski and Michael Fassbender. I have a thing for musical theater actors and there are great German actors out there on stage today too I think like Thomas Borchert and Chris Murray, Ute Lemper. I think German culture is very complex and layered like all cultures are.

Years
Report by: Dave

Festival: Sair

Celebrated: Himachal Pradesh
What happens on this day:

It's a fair celebrated in Himachal Pradesh to mark the end of the crop harvest, prepare for the harsh winter ahead and the return of the gods from heaven. Old-timers say the centuries old Sair festival is celebrated mainly in the interiors of Shimla, Mandi, Kullu, Kangra and Solan districts.
In Mandi and Kullu areas it was celebrated Tuesday, while in Shimla and Solan, it will be observed Wednesday.
Like a Spanish or Portuguese or Latin American spectacle, a bullfight before many spectators is the main attraction of the festival.
In Arki area in Solan district and Mashobra in Shimla district, known for bullfights, the festival will be organised Wednesday.

At last of this report I would like to get members data on their research. Thanks..

Back