• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PKMN Heartgold - Am i ready for Clair?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I am about to challenge the blackthorn gym, and I want to know if my pokemon is strong enough for Clair. I have:

Crobat, lvl 36
    Ampharos, lvl 36
    Growlithe, lvl 36
    Feraligatr, lvl 36 (probably lvl 38+ after I have done the trainers inside blackthorn gym)
    Gyarados, lvl 30 (shiny version)

Thanks!

Years
  • I think your team is looking fine at this stage, but you might have to grind a few more levels which may be hard because the wild Pokemon in Johto are really low-level. Clair's team's levels range from 38 to 41 so that's why training a bit more is recommended.

A good Electric attack (you've got Amphy there) should be able to destroy her Gyarados. The Dragonairs aren't very strong but a good Ice (or Dragon) attack should be able to handle them easily. The main problem you have to watch out for is the Kingdra, whose Water/Dragon typing leaves it with just a single weakness to Dragon, and given it's her ace it's the hardest hitting one on her team. If you don't have Dragon moves (which are hard to come by even at this point) just try and use your strongest moves provided Kingdra doesn't resist them.

Having some healing items might also be essential. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Thank you sir! That was pretty much going to be my tactic, just didnt know if I should level up more.

Would you mind answering another quick question? I am teaching my Feraligatr Hydro Cannon, but I dont know if I should replace it with Crunch or Agility.. I already have Ice fang that I need for the blackthorn gym, so it must be one of them. Agility would be usefull, but Crunch is pretty good too, so I cant decide..

Years
  • Thank you sir! That was pretty much going to be my tactic, just didnt know if I should level up more.

Would you mind answering another quick question? I am teaching my Feraligatr Hydro Cannon, but I dont know if I should replace it with Crunch or Agility.. I already have Ice fang that I need for the blackthorn gym, so it must be one of them. Agility would be usefull, but Crunch is pretty good too, so I cant decide..

Hydro Cannon isn't really that great of a Water move, as it leaves you a sitting duck for a turn. Agility can be handy if you need that extra bit of Speed.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Thanks again! I forgot that hydro cannon makes you wait a turn, so I think I will keep both Crunch and Agility.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • I think you're good as far as leveling goes right now because you can beat the Johto Gyms while your team is underleveled. From here on out, some of the most important attacks to have are Ice Beam, Ice Punch (Goldenrod City Department Store), Thunderbolt, Earthquake (Victory Road), and Crunch. The first two are essential to defeat Clair and the Champion Lance, who both use Dragon type Pokemon. One other thing: That Kingdra is going to be very difficult to take down, so I'd invest in status-inducing moves like Thunder Wave, Hypnosis and Toxic.

The reason I'm looking ahead is because your team in its current state will struggle against the Elite Four. At some point, grinding will be necessary. I recommend you get your team's levels up at Victory Road, where Gravelers die to Surf and Ice Punch, which you said you had on Feraligatr.
    POST-GAME SPOILER!
    Spoiler:

This guide has the information about Clair and the rest of Johto's Elite Four: http://www.psypokes.com/hgss/gymelites.php

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Your team looks exactly like the one I used to battle Clair o.o

You have an Ampharos and Feraligatr, I think you're all set. Spam the hell out of Thunder Wave and Ice Fang, or go buy Ice Punch from the Goldenrod Department Store. Level up Gyarados 2 more times for Ice Fang, in my opinion, so you have more to hit Clair with. Also, Twister Gyarados. It's weak, but it's pretty much all you have against that Kingdra of hers. :p

You're gonna need to grind a little, too. At least up to level 37-39.

Back