• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Keyboards

Years
  • Keyboards. They're how you type on computers. While it is possible to make letters without one, I'm sure that'd be more difficult than doing so with a keyboard. :p

So let's look at the three main types of keyboards...

Mechanical:

Spoiler:

These keyboards have removable caps where underneath them is a physical switch that triggers what you are typing. They are also LOUD and are the loudest of them all. They were common back in the day, and are used today mainly by gamers.

Membrane:

Spoiler:

These keyboard are cheaper than mechanical, and are perhaps the most common type to see for external keyboards these days. The namesake comes from the fact that the switches use silicone to come into contact with a circuit board to complete the key press. These are also more quiet than mechanical keyboards, but not completely quiet.

And finally..

Chiclet:

Spoiler:

Just about every laptop manufactured these days comes with this style keyboard. The keys barely rise upward, unlike mechanical and membrane keyboards. These are also very quiet, almost to the point that they are inaudible. However, these are also starting to pop up on external keyboards as well–the ones at my job are chiclets!

So, what kind of keyboard do you have, or use for the most part? Is there a reason you like or dislike said keyboard? Would you rather have any of the other types of keyboards?

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • 20190101_170511.jpg

The correct kind of keyboard! Mechanical! After getting used to one ages ago, I can't go back. Using other types is a pain, as I accidentally hit the wrong keys while typing due to both missing and the shorter travel distance having me hit one I didn't mean to.

And playing games? Oh god. The keyboard I had before this was that new razer "hybrid" keyboard that's supposed to be the best of both worlds. Just like with any non-mechanical board, playing games was a poor experience with it. My favorite issue was not putting quite enough force onto a key and it stopping making good contact, causing whatever action I was trying to do to stop. Walking, running, using stuff, jumping/jetpacks, etc.

Got me a ducky this time, which entitles me to be a keyboard elitist apparently.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    If chiclet keyboards are supposed to be the quietest I'd hate to hear my typing these days on another kind of keyboard yikes .....

i just use my laptop keyboard so i have a chiclet keyboard by default. annoys the hell out of my sister when i type because i type so loudly

TY

Mechanical easy, although mine are the more silent type of mechanical.

the best part is that my keycaps are all pink apart from a few (wrong size for spacebar and some other ones at the bottom T_T)

Years
  • At home I use a mechanical keyboard and let me just say I fucking love it! It replaced my many years of using a membrane keyboard, and I honestly love the comfort and texture of using it. :D

Back