• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen 'M, Kangaskhan and Ditto

Years
  • Hey,

I was wondering something. I absolutely love glitches and I've always wondered something. In RB, when you catch 'M, the battle will continue. If you throw a ball again, you catch Ditto.

My first question is, why does this happen? I know Bulbapedia states "Capturing 'M again will result in capturing a level 0 or 80 Ditto; why this happens is unknown.", but I was curious if anybody actually figured it out.

My second question is, 'M evolves into Kangaskhan at level 0. Why does it evolve into Kangaskhan? From what I understood (I think...) 'M isn't actually a Pokemon, so how comes it evolves into Kangaskhan at level 0?

Amy May

Banned
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    My first question is, why does this happen? I know Bulbapedia states "Capturing 'M again will result in capturing a level 0 or 80 Ditto; why this happens is unknown.", but I was curious if anybody actually figured it out.

My second question is, 'M evolves into Kangaskhan at level 0. Why does it evolve into Kangaskhan? From what I understood (I think...) 'M isn't actually a Pokemon, so how comes it evolves into Kangaskhan at level 0?

I LOVE MissingNo & M' (00)!!!!! <3333

Your 1st question... i can't remember running into that before, but 1st gen had so many glitches that, not noticing one wouldn't surprise me. xD

Your 2nd question... 'M (00), along with all glitch Pokemon are "bad pointers". An evolution is based by the hexadecimals pointed, but because glitch Pokemon are corrupted data/bad pointers.. the bazaar happens as the game scrambles. M' (00) evolves into kanga after 1 rare candy... actually with a crap load of rare candy you can get M' (00) to evo to a Clefairy too. xD

i'm no tech geek though, so as far as exactly why it points to Kanga & Clefairy w/ rare randy idk. xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • I LOVE MissingNo & M' (00)!!!!! <3333

Your 1st question... i can't remember running into that before, but 1st gen had so many glitches that, not noticing one wouldn't surprise me. xD

Your 2nd question... 'M (00), along with all glitch Pokemon are "bad pointers". An evolution is based by the hexadecimals pointed, but because glitch Pokemon are corrupted data/bad pointers.. the bazaar happens as the game scrambles. M' (00) evolves into kanga after 1 rare candy... actually with a crap load of rare candy you can get M' (00) to evo to a Clefairy too. xD

i'm no tech geek though, so as far as exactly why it points to Kanga & Clefairy w/ rare randy idk. xD

The first glitch scared me as a kid. I thought I was encountering MissingNo. so I caught it and the battle continued and I was like WTF is happening. Still curious why these things happen (because they're just so mindfucking me)

Amy May

Banned
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    The first glitch scared me as a kid. I thought I was encountering MissingNo. so I caught it and the battle continued and I was like WTF is happening. Still curious why these things happen (because they're just so mindfucking me)

oh man i hear you all the way.

1st Gen framework was so restricted, on top if it being GF's 1st.. so you pretty much get hit with everything glitch wise. But in 1st Gen, understanding how the glitches work is much easier.

You have to think about vid games like it's doing nothing more than a bunch of complex math. Math formulas is how everything functions in the game.

.. 1st Gen Pokemon (like other gens), go by this thing called hexadecimal (the formula). There wasn't much to 1st & 2nd Gen either, so the indexs for them are relatively small as well. Each line is a hexadecimal as to what it means in many respects (when "pointed" to). This is why you can exploit crazy 1st Gen stuff like evolving evo stone only pokes without an evolution stone... just by having it level up 1 in a battle when also using a certain Pokemon that uses the same hexadecimal as the corresponding evo stone. ZZAZZ glitch (exploding bulba glitch)... is All due to faulty game math writing to hexadecimal Hex:99 Dec:153 with a corrupted pointer.

... a good deal isn't game breaking, but enough for me to say it has problems. xD

Last edited:
    Years
  • Not a techy myself either but I remember reading a while ago that baby Kangaskhan was to be a Pokémon in its own right at a time, so maybe that's where the Kangaskhan relation part of this glitch comes from.

Amy May

Banned
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    Not a techy myself either but I remember reading a while ago that baby Kangaskhan was to be a Pokémon in its own right at a time, so maybe that's where the Kangaskhan relation part of this glitch comes from.
    so how does it explain Clefairy after 100+ rare candy then?!? :p
    ... just yanking your chain. :)

More than likely, both Rhydon & Kangaskhan were the 1st 2 mon put in by GF. In the index, Rhydon is #1 and Kangaskhan is #2.

Last edited:
    Back