• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what are the value of the original 1996 pocket monster cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    Hi I'm selling my pokemon collection and I have some original pocket monster cards and I was just wondering how much they were worth

from 1996
    original Japanese cards

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    It depends on the edition and rarity of the cards you are selling. The fact that it is Japanese increases its' worth here (but vice-versa in Japan) and cards can range from $1-$400.

If you have ILLUSTARTOR, then get ready to become rich for a while.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I just PMd him the exact same thing, but I added in the cost and explained a bit more in-depth about it.

I have a fake Yu-Gi-Oh card promo. I feel like Ternaldo.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Well, unless he was a child living in Japan during 1997, he doesn't have the Illustrator lol.
    So I assume you're talking about the Base set, the one that contained 102 cards and had stuff like charizard and blastoise and zapdos? The value of those really depends on several things. Number one is always condition; if they're not completely mint, as in no scratches on the holo part when tilted under a light, no bends, etc., then the value will drop a lot. The next thing to consider is which edition they are. If they had 1st edition stamps on them, then that's the best scenario for you. 1st ed cards are always worth more than unlimited ones (ones without the stamp).
    Generally, Japanese cards don't sell for as much as English ones, but in this case you're lucky because the Japanese Base set does sell for more than the English set.
    I would estimate that a MINT Japanese Base set could sell for atleast $150.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    well yeh but isnt there like a method with selling sets etc and all that other stuff

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Just make a listing for the complete set, be very thorough when describing the condition of the cards because if it's not as described, they can make you refund the money, and basically you just wait. You may not get any takers for a few months, but if the price is reasonable I'm sure someone will find it eventually. As long as the description is very detailed and you have lots of good photos of it, you should be ok. You will probably also have to weigh the cards because shipping is dependent upon the weight of the parcel, and when you ship them they should be either in a binder or all in individual hard sleeves so they don't get damaged in transit. That's pretty much it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Did it actually get sold? Ebay doesn't specify that it did, I wonder if it just got removed. I know they had originally listed it as a way to feel out what anyone might offer for it, and according to the offer history, there were 34 offers and they were all declined. Unless someone bought it outright (not likely, as it was way overpriced), then I think it probably got taken off.

Inoj

Premier Ball User
    Years
  • ^Says right there in Bulbapedia: "This card has sold before for $20,000." The one in
    eBay still sits there for 32.5 grand last time I checked it.

I really wish I had an Illustrator card. First time I heard of it, can't stop thinking about it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    Oh you mean the first one that sold, yeah that went for a fortune. The new one was taken down about two days ago and was relisted for $16k as opposed to $32k, not exactly a bargain...

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2012
    how muchis this worth

hi i have a japanese 1996 poket monster card of hypno illus. ken sugimori please tell me if it is worth anything thank you

Years
  • hi i have a japanese 1996 poket monster card of hypno illus. ken sugimori please tell me if it is worth anything thank you

Worth $2 at best. And for future reference, we have a specific thread for asking about this type of thing here:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=274173

And please do not revive threads that are from over two months ago. Generally, the conversation has completely halted for a reason.

*closes thread*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back