• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ice Resistance Buff?

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
Years
  • How would you feel about the Ice-type getting a few new resistances?
    What resistances would you want them to be?
    Me personally, I'd say the Ice-type's list of resistances would be Ice, Grass, Bug (Or Flying), and Ground.
    What about you?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I agree that Ice sorely needs new resistances due to its plethora of weaknesses. Currently it's probably the worst defensive type; though Rock and Grass have more weaknesses, they at least have some very important resistances as well. I disagree with the idea of Bug and Grass being new resistances for Ice though; these are already offensively two of the worst types, with each of them being weak against seven types each and only being strong against 3. IMO Poison, Flying or Dragon might be better suited for Ice resistances.

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
    Years
  • I agree that Ice sorely needs new resistances due to its plethora of weaknesses. Currently it's probably the worst defensive type; though Rock and Grass have more weaknesses, they at least have some very important resistances as well. I disagree with the idea of Bug and Grass being new resistances for Ice though; these are already offensively two of the worst types, with each of them being weak against seven types each and only being strong against 3. IMO Poison, Flying or Dragon might be better suited for Ice resistances.

I almost forgot about Flying and Dragon for a second.
    I actually like the idea of it resisting those.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    i feel like the reason why ice has so many weaknesses as it does is because pokemon wise, it's seen as something really fragile. while that is somewhat true, that's not always the case. i mean dragon was super overpowered prior to fairy types and making ice types immune is an even bigger middle finger. i think before we look at any new resistances, the stats of existing ice-types should be re-looked at and adjusted.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    i feel like the reason why ice has so many weaknesses as it does is because pokemon wise, it's seen as something really fragile. while that is somewhat true, that's not always the case. i mean dragon was super overpowered prior to fairy types and making ice types immune is an even bigger middle finger. i think before we look at any new resistances, the stats of existing ice-types should be re-looked at and adjusted.
    I think that the stat distribution is a good idea, but I think it would make sense for Ice to have more resistances. If something is totally frozen solid, like Regice, it makes no sense for steel or fighting to be super effective against it. Plus Ice's weaknesses lead to so many Pokemon that would otherwise be much better with 4x weaknesses; Alolan Ninetales, Aurorus (2), Alolan Sandslash (2), Abomasnow, Articuno.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I think that the stat distribution is a good idea, but I think it would make sense for Ice to have more resistances. If something is totally frozen solid, like Regice, it makes no sense for steel or fighting to be super effective against it. Plus Ice's weaknesses lead to so many Pokemon that would otherwise be much better with 4x weaknesses; Alolan Ninetales, Aurorus (2), Alolan Sandslash (2), Abomasnow, Articuno.
    you do make a point there. although I see things like the fighting type and rock type strong enough to break through although that may be just me. I do think that there should be a distinction between super fragile ice-types such as Jynx and rock-hard ice types such as regice.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    you do make a point there. although I see things like the fighting type and rock type strong enough to break through although that may be just me. I do think that there should be a distinction between super fragile ice-types such as Jynx and rock-hard ice types such as regice.
    I think Jynx's fragility is already accounted for in her nonexistent Defense stat. To me, there is no reason to compound this with 6 different weaknesses. Particularly Rock, which makes Jynx nearly useless... why would a rock hurt Jynx anymore than say, Electabuzz?

Years
  • Ice-types did sort-of get a buff in 7th Gen with Sheer Cold's changes, which makes Ice-types now immune to the move along with worse accuracy when not by an Ice-type. The new move Aurora Veil (which is Reflect + Light Screen in one move) is also mainly only learned by Ice-types.

But I can get why people want more type resistances, since only resisting your own type is not very good to begin with.

Cuprite (Kyu)

Formerly TheGoldenRiolu
    Years
  • Ice-types did sort-of get a buff in 7th Gen with Sheer Cold's changes, which makes Ice-types now immune to the move along with worse accuracy when not by an Ice-type. The new move Aurora Veil (which is Reflect + Light Screen in one move) is also mainly only learned by Ice-types.

But I can get why people want more type resistances, since only resisting your own type is not very good to begin with.

Honestly, Aurora Veil is probably the best thing that happened to Ice-types in Gen 7.
    Not only is it useful (Especially on a mono-Ice team), but my favorite Pokemon, Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales (Tied with Riolu/Lucario of course) are easily the best users of it (Or at least pretty high up there) since they have high speed and can have Snow Warning, giving it the ability to use Aurora Veil on the first turn.
    As for Sheer Cold, I never really use OHKO moves anyway.

Back