• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why is pokemon heartgold and soulsilver so expensive?

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2019
    I lost my pokemon heartgold when I moved house and tried to get a new one or preowned as it's an old one. I thought it would be cheaper as it's older and on the DS but it's actually more expensive.

I just wondered why is it so much more expensive than some of the others?

Years
  • The reason can be summed up in about two words: limited copies.

HGSS are very hard to find for most people in their typical brick and mortar video games stores, so they turn to the internet to see if they can find decent (not fake) copies. People who have copies of HGSS to sell know the value of these games and as a result price up these games however they want because they know that if people really want something rare, they'll pay more for it.

The thing with some older Pokemon games like HGSS is that they don't always depreciate in value as time goes on. They get more expensive (or keep their value) because the demand is still there when the supply keeps thinning out.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you are able to get a copy with a pokewalker, that's another reason for the high price, it has an accessory that almost is a must to have with. sadly, like the nice poster before me, there are limited copies, I was lucky, found it at a pawn shop and the seller, even looking at that 40-50 dollar tag it showed, gave it to me for 25 bucks~ Should haggled with the guy at the garage sale for soul silver... would have had them both...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, the Pokemon name doesn't help either - tends to keep the games expensive. Pity though - I wish those games were a bit more accessible than they are currently. =( Lots to like about them.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • I did notice a year ago when I was looking for a copy of SoulSilver that the prices for even the used games were pretty high, and the prices for brand new sealed copies were even more insane. I always chalked it up to nostalgia though.

Back