• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Atheist Alliance 2.0

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I do believe in a higher deity, just not the god that I was led to believe. The reason I brought it up here, is because most Atheists I've come across are more understanding.

And I think it's worth noting that my faith in a God is just that - a faith. I'm not going to argue that science isn't the absolute, bottom line truth. I just believe, and hope, there is a God up there. If acknowledging that humans more than likely evolved is considered atheism, then I guess I am one.

Also, that wasn't aimed at you, I just felt like expressing my thoughts.

You're agnostic, by definition. Atheism is a complete lack of faith or belief in any deity.

For those curious, I'm a rather militant atheist. Former Roman Catholic.

For my fellow atheists, are there any atheist sites or groups that you like?

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years

Nope. I'd agree with PervertedPikachu, there really isn't a need (at least I think) for such unity, but... I dunno.

The only places I visit are Facebook, Youtube and PC. I know, pretty boring, right? ;P

Phantom1

Years

Nope. I'd agree with PervertedPikachu, there really isn't a need (at least I think) for such unity, but... I dunno.

The only places I visit are Facebook, Youtube and PC. I know, pretty boring, right? ;P

Well, I think that getting together for anything to share ideas is a good thing. Share ideas, philosophies, as well as how to work with theists. It's not a congregation, it's just getting together to share ideas or to discuss beliefs or in this case lack thereof.

Some good sites and groups:

The Thinking Atheist

JaclynGlenn

Also can't forget places like the Amazing Atheist.

But things like the Reason Rally help bring awareness and some sense of equality. Atheism is a minority, and whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, it is discriminated upon.

Phantom1

Years
Were you raised without religion? Or did you chose to leave it? Would you be willing to share why, if yes?

MurkMire

Years
Were you raised without religion? Or did you choose to leave it? Would you be willing to share why, if yes?

Ooooohh no. I'm pretty much the only atheist in the family. An all Christian family. I started watching some videos on Youtube (because I was sketchy about religion), and became an agnostic, then further down the line, I just straight up became an atheist.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Were you raised without religion? Or did you chose to leave it? Would you be willing to share why, if yes?

My family was Catholic, and then my mom and brother turned Christian. At the age of 11 I decided that it was complete ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, and good thing I did. I'm still the only atheist in my family, and I think it's a bit sad my 4 year old sister is being raised the "Christian way" but oh well. When I was smaller, my mom would make me go to church everyday. When I was 10, I did my first Communion, which sucked lol. My mom still makes me go to church every sunday, and Friday, I talked her out of going today. One time, a few months ago, I told my mom, who knows I'm an atheist that I did not want to go to church, and I went to the top bunk of my bunk bed, and sorta said that no matter what I won't go, and I ended up getting a shoe to the face :/

Also I got a name change, so if you can please change that in the first post that would be awesome :)
(I used to be Ninja Surskit)

Phantom1

Years
Also I got a name change, so if you can please change that in the first post that would be awesome :)
(I used to be Ninja Surskit)

Done!

Are you a person that is open to religious discussion, or are you the type that wishes they could be just left alone?

MurkMire

Years
Are you a person that is open to religious discussion, or are you the type that wishes they could be just left alone?

As a child born into faith, and having grown up to become an atheist, I just prefer to be left alone. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to get along with everyone, but... past experiences get me really frustrated and angry when someone tries to lecture me about not being religious.

MurkMire

Years
Worst argument for religion you ever heard?

One of two. Dumb, and... good gourd.

"If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

And I was randomly asked (by my own mother) how the first man and woman came to be. Yes.

You can't make this crap up.

Years
Joining/inviting myself!

I've been atheist since the longest time. Lately I've been pursuing Buddhism to gain greater insight into the world and my own life.

I'm not really a fan of atheist youtube because they don't seem to promote a compassionate attitude towards others. Mostly it's just bashing more fundamentalist, conservative aspects of religion. It's not very humble or introspective either - it's directed outwardly, about other people's beliefs rather than a personal understanding. That's just how I see it, anyways.

In general, I'm more so on PervertedPika's and Murkmire's side of things. I don't really give my atheism much "groupness" - in that I try not to make it a big deal, a cleavage between some people and others (there are only two kinds of people in the world...).

Worst argument for religion you ever heard?

How do we even define religion? Because Buddhism is commonly considered to be a religion, ever since I began practising it the issue of what is and isn't religion has become more thorny.

I would say the belief in miracles is a pretty poor argument. Miracles are supernatural, yet certain especially extraordinary instances of miracles should be believed because it's written in a holy book and that confirms the miracle worker to be the son of God? It doesn't hold much water, but belief in the resurrection is a core belief of Christianity.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015
Hey, joining!

You know, I used to be a Christian. I totally believed in it too, thought there was a God and a Jesus and everything. But about when I hit puberty (bigggg time in my life) I got skeptical.

You see, I read a ton of books, get good grades, and basically consider myself pretty smart. I couldn't help but note the flaws in religious logic that I started noticing once I paid attention, and my lack of faith only grew from there. I stopped attending church entirely because it seemed pointless, and eventually realized I just wasn't a believer.

I get asked a lot by my Christian friends, "Where do atheists go when they die?"

My usual answer is, "The same place as everyone else."

You see, I don't like to be insulting, but I get insulted a lot by religion. It insults my intelligence, and tells me to just go along with it. That's why I'm an atheist, in a nutshell.

Phantom1

Years
Joining/inviting myself!

I've been atheist since the longest time. Lately I've been pursuing Buddhism to gain greater insight into the world and my own life.

Welcome! And you're in! Buddhism is an interesting belief system, and much of it is basic philosophy studies. It's one of my personal interests when it comes to research.

Hey, joining!

You know, I used to be a Christian. I totally believed in it too, thought there was a God and a Jesus and everything. But about when I hit puberty (bigggg time in my life) I got skeptical.

You see, I read a ton of books, get good grades, and basically consider myself pretty smart. I couldn't help but note the flaws in religious logic that I started noticing once I paid attention, and my lack of faith only grew from there. I stopped attending church entirely because it seemed pointless, and eventually realized I just wasn't a believer.

I get asked a lot by my Christian friends, "Where do atheists go when they die?"

My usual answer is, "The same place as everyone else."

You see, I don't like to be insulting, but I get insulted a lot by religion. It insults my intelligence, and tells me to just go along with it. That's why I'm an atheist, in a nutshell.

Welcome to the club!

I hear you. Religion asks us to be its sheep, and in some cases that is quite the literal term.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
Ooohh, can I join?!

I think I'm actually more anti religion or anti theism than atheist, but I'm still exploring. I'm not really in a rush to categorize myself either way....
I usually just answer "ATHEIST." with a straight face because it shuts people up pretty quick. Honestly, I usually avoid most atheist groups, because they're frequently made up of white male ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. I would love if there was a safe space for secularists of color.

To answer the previous questions, my family is Catholic, and we were all raised as such. But I've thought it was ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ since hmm... Around sixth grade? Basically, I thought it was all rather silly and pointless. A waste of time.
Like, if you really think about it, you start noticing things that aren't quite right. That, and I have issues with authority, so being told I had to obey this great, invisible deity just didn't sit well with me. I still go to church and ♥♥♥♥, but I'm in college, and I need my parents to help pay tuition. They'd rather lie to myself than think/accept that I don't consider myself Catholic.

But I usually prefer to not discuss religion with religious people because it gets real ugly real fast. My friend and I are super insensitive about religion, so we just avoid it around religious friends. Truthfully, I think most such discussions are unproductive. They go around in circles, and everyone's unhappy by the end of it.

Yep, that was long.... :P

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 2, 2016
I don't like to put myself in a category when it comes to a lot of things especially religion. If I were to, I'd say I'm more of an agnostic-atheist with a mixture of humanism somewhere in the mix.
The god idea in my opinion is more multi-dimensional and sometimes hard for me to explain.

Though this is a topic I find myself avoiding nowadays (I've had many many discussions, arguments, and whatnot with pea-brains in the past) - I would be more than happy to add any sort of contribution to this thread. Many of the members here are really young and would be nice to potentially answer some of their questions.

Phantom1

Years
Ooohh, can I join?!

Of course you can!

Though, I will admit, a few things you've said concern me.

Honestly, I usually avoid most atheist groups, because they're frequently made up of white male ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s. I would love if there was a safe space for secularists of color.

I have... no idea where you got this from. I've never heard this from anywhere else... ever.

Actually, from most research I've seen, by population alone...

I would be more than happy to add any sort of contribution to this thread. Many of the members here are really young and would be nice to potentially answer some of their questions.

Welcome then. Shall I add you to the list... and also...

"Many of the members here are really young"

Oi, watch it, old fart here.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I have... no idea where you got this from. I've never heard this from anywhere else... ever.

Actually, from most research I've seen, by population alone...

In my experience (and this is limited to the US, so my commentary is focused on that), I have witnessed/encountered hostility from other atheist/agnostic people, who usually happen to be white males. I have seen this on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and on other sites (news sites, blogs). (I have entirely avoided these groups in real life.) These experiences aren't isolated incidents either; I have met other people of color who were atheist also express discomfort in the secular community at large - in real life and online. The loudest voices in the secular community have said and done a lot of problematic things. It becomes increasingly difficult if you are a woman, if you are queer, and/or if you are non-white to find/create a safe space in that said community, thus my wariness. Hope that helps you understand what I was referring to.

Phantom1

Years
In my experience (and this is limited to the US, so my commentary is focused on that), I have witnessed/encountered hostility from other atheist/agnostic people, who usually happen to be white males. I have seen this on social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and on other sites (news sites, blogs). (I have entirely avoided these groups in real life.) These experiences aren't isolated incidents either; I have met other people of color who were atheist also express discomfort in the secular community at large - in real life and online. The loudest voices in the secular community have said and done a lot of problematic things. It becomes increasingly difficult if you are a woman, if you are queer, and/or if you are non-white to find/create a safe space in that said community, thus my wariness. Hope that helps you understand what I was referring to.

This is something called generalization, and it's this attitude that leads to the treatment of many people, in manners that would be best left unsaid.

This is your first strike. Two more and you will be removed from the club and your posts reported.

I will not tolerate the language you have used so far, and it has been an issue brought to me by other members of the club. All I see is blatant racism.

Atheism has nothing to do with race, sexual orientation or anything of the like.

Hell, I break your little stereotypes listed being a lesbian atheist. I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in the past, but that does not give you any excuse to barge in here throwing stereotypes and generalizations everywhere like party favors.

You do not know us, and, so far? I see none of this generalization happening here, nor will I tolerate it being introduced in the group. We have been conversing politely thus far, even with the occasional believer. You want a 'safe zone', then consider this one.

Atheism comes in all shapes and colors and nationalities.

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I suppose I will join this club.

I am an atheist and have been one ever since I was 11 years old. Before that, I was too young to have a religion of my own. Whilst I don't completely discount the existence of a God, I think it is highly unlikely and don't believe it myself. The topic of religion is one I avoid because when people start talking about it, it makes me feel very uncomfortable rather like the feeling that somebody is trying to draw me into some sort of strange creepy cult. It's just my emotional response though. I do not ever mean to disrespect others, and will tolerate your religion as long as you never mention it in an uncomfortable context and don't try to force it upon me. Even if I do think that religion is a pointless relic from times where things were less understood. People can still think whatever they want to think. If it brings them comfort and happiness, then who am I to judge?

But how did I come to not believe in a world where I was surrounded by it? First off, my parents were never really all that strongly religious. They just are because it's sort of a common "everyone" thing in many parts of this place still. Whilst I was made to go to church when I was younger, eventually my parents stopped going all together for reasons unknown to me. As a child, I was too young to understand it. And as I grew up, I realized I just didn't care for it at all in the same way I saw a few others doing so. It made no sense to me when I thought of it (and realized that I don't believe in the concepts of good and evil and think that it is based on perspective, so Christianity specifically wouldn't even fit into that), so I disregarded it as a thing.

Then for the rest of my life, I didn't ever think of it much again unless somebody brought it up. If somebody tries to bring it up, I'll tell the truth. And if they try to argue with me, I ignore them because it's pointless and I don't care enough to waste my time in things that will go nowhere.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 30, 2015

I was very much raised with religion, as I've said before. In my joining post, I mentioned becoming a skeptic, but I'm willing to elaborate.

You see, I have heard that many people lose faith when something bad happens to them or their families. This is what happened to me, although I didn't realize it until later. The event that started what would eventually be my loss of faith was my parents getting divorced.

At the time, I was young and believed in God, but it didn't seem fair that he'd let such a thing happen. I thought about it a lot, and eventually began to doubt his very existence while distancing myself from religion.

I think the moment when I was truly an atheist and no longer a member of the church, however, was when I chose not to get confirmed. It was my decision to make and I was very proud of myself afterwards. I don't like to lie to myself, and I think being an atheist is one of the best ways to be totally honest with oneself.

Back