• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

morality system / multiple endings

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • this isn't a thread about "will the main series games ever do this kinda thing" because I'm pretty sure the answer is definitely gonna be no. pokemon aint an immersive sim and doesn't want to give players morally grey choices. but i'm curious how such a thing could be applied in theory - i've been playing a lot of games where the plot and gameplay shifts based on your decisions so it's got me thinking.

there's obvious stuff like "option to join an evil team", which would obviously lead the game to go very differently, but i'm more thinking about stuff that changes based on your playstyle, not big scripted choices like that - not that joining an evil team wouldn't be cool. for example, I'd love a Poke Ball that lets you catch trainer's Pokemon (much lower success rate than wild mons) at the cost of lowering some kind of "reputation" score. If you have low reputation, you're ineligible to perform certain sidequests, you won't get partner trainers in areas that normally have them (remember when partner trainers were a thing? i do), and certain key items won't be awarded. Basically for the cost of catching powerful mons, you lose out on XP and items, forcing you to grind more. That would actually be a really interesting tradeoff imo!

what would you think about a feature like this? are there any other ways you can think of that morality might work in Pokemon, in ways that would affect the gameplay and/or story?
    (remember this thread isn't about whether game freak is likely to do this. they aren't)

Years
  • That sounds really interesting, and would give the games even more replay value. I've never considered this type of system beyond just a 'what if we could join the evil team?' type of thought. Would love to see how the game would conclude depending on your choices and how things would branch out.

Maybe your reason for challenging the Elite Four would be different...? Originally you'd battle them for the champion title, but on a more 'villainous' route can battle them to ultimately steal their Pokémon and showcase yourself as a serious thread to the region. Or they can be the ones challenging you since they're the best of the best and feel responsible for stopping you?

Years
  • That's a really interesting idea. A pokeball where you catch other trainer's Pokemon is something I have thought about too. Or maybe instead you could steal Pokémon when you enter the homes of trainers if they are present as pets that can be interacted with. The games already have precedents for NPCs asking you to do things like take their pokémon on walks, help you find their lost Pokémon, keep their Pokémon safe from evil team members in your PC or party for awhile. That situation could easily be taken to the next level by being able to keeping such pokemon, and have the game recognize it, lowering your reputation in the process. As with traded pokémon the mons you take could have obedience issues without sufficient gym badges since you were not the original trainer.

You could also potentially steal items in a similar fashion. Instead of someone randomly offering you items like a gold nugget or revive, they could be items present in the npc's house when you visit, with an option to take it or not. The NPCs may never realize that you took it until after you have gone, which lowers your reputation. Alternatively, they *could* catch you in the act of doing this, which would trigger a pokémon battle as the npc or one of their Pokémon tries to stop you from robbing them. Actions like this could result in an an increased number or NPCs on route. Their dialogue would reveal they are searching for items or Pokémon reported stolen. This would give you more battles since you would have more trainers to avoid making eye contact with, including police officers who are searching the neighborhood looking for a thief.

Just like things are featured on television and radio about the name rater, berry blender etc, there could also be news bulletins warning citizens to be on the look out for suspicious characters because there was a robbery in X city. More homes in towns may be locked due to increased fear of criminal activity, and as a penalty houses with NPCs who would normally give you goodies or heal your Pokemon may now be inaccessible, not story-alterating events necessarily, but making it more inconvenient. Alternatively, you might receive help offers more frequently from trainers of sinister trainer classes like pickpocket or evil team Grunts who might like your style and share items with you.

If you have a low reputation pokemon partners of npcs walking through town might dislike you instinctively and try to bite you. Perhaps friendship with your own Pokémon even increases more slowly.

You still can battle gym leaders and elite four members, but their dialogue might change and be less encouraging, and more cautionary if your reputation is bad.

Other events that could result in lower reputation are refusing quests. or sneaking into areas you are supposed to pay entry into.

Since there are Pokémon you receive as gifts based on a trainer's respect for you like Steven's beldum or the Dratini from the Dragon's Den, those pokemon perhaps would not be redeemable until your reputation raises. Pokemon that volunteer to join you because they like you like Korrina's Lucario I think would also not trigger while your reputation is bad.

Certain legendary pokemon that are benevolent or can judge the innate qualities of people like Zekrom/Reshiram or Ho-oh might also refuse to appear for you if you don't have sufficient morality.

I think reputation is something that you should be able to always chhange based on your choices. Actions that strengthen your reputation could be stopping evil teams, raising pokemon in your party to max friendship/happiness levels, leaving tips after service, accepting side quests that help people such as retrieving medicine/food for farmer's sick Pokemon, bringing pokedoll to child, helping NPC in woods or cave who lost glasses. Also if you release stolen pokemon they will return back to their trainer and your reputation could be restored.

The Bellossom boi

I saw this feature in some hacks and I'd like in core games as well.

Back