• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Shuckle Version: Demo V1.2

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 31, 2016
Okay, it makes sense if you put it that way. That's more of a problem with having a silent protagonist then.

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Indeed. It was the only way I could think of to do it. I've seen a few hacks that have the player talk, but it just feels out of place in a Pokemon game, and is a major put off for me.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Indeed. It was the only way I could think of to do it. I've seen a few hacks that have the player talk, but it just feels out of place in a Pokemon game, and is a major put off for me.

You could always have the NPC "mimic" what the player says to give the person that's playing a little more idea what they were supposed to get.

Like after they ask "What brings you here?" you can follow it with one thing of ...'s and then the NPC asks "Oh, blew in from [blah blah town], eh?" and then maybe "And that Midckle... you say you found it in [wherever land]? I've been there once, never saw a creature like that before! Wahaha!" Just my one and a half cents. :P

Akiak

dreamin'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Looks real good! hope you keep working on it, really liking the idea behind it!

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
You could always have the NPC "mimic" what the player says to give the person that's playing a little more idea what they were supposed to get.

Like after they ask "What brings you here?" you can follow it with one thing of ...'s and then the NPC asks "Oh, blew in from [blah blah town], eh?" and then maybe "And that Midckle... you say you found it in [wherever land]? I've been there once, never saw a creature like that before! Wahaha!" Just my one and a half cents. :P

Thanks, that will work much better!

Looks real good! hope you keep working on it, really liking the idea behind it!

Thanks! I'm working on it as much as possible. I've made a great deal of progress over the last couple of days. At my current rate, I may have enough done to release the next version in two weeks, at most. No promises though, the end of May is still my goal, because I never know if something will happen to eat up my free time.

Shinygir

YAY! WE'RE DOOMED!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
that's really nice to make a hack on a underrated pokemon like shuckle can't wait to play it.

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Since I've made a decent amount of progress, I've updated the first post with some screen shots of a few events that take place after the Demo ends. This is where the story begins to unfold. As shown is the screen shots, the Day-Care will be accessible fairly early into the game, as will be the Bicycle. I've also added a spoiler with all the Shuckles I've made, as well as their names and types, in case you want to ruin the surprise before you play. I think it would be more fun to be caught off guard by some of the more wacky sprites, but I assume some people probably like to see what the Fakemon look like before they play a hack. On a related note, instead of the original amount of 38, there will now be 56 Shuckles in the game! Only 42 have finished sprite sheets, but I have another 7 from the original batch of 38 that I've at least made front sprites for. I'll likely finish them up within a few days, then update the image.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 8, 2019
Patched it to a clean ROM but when it starts right after putting the names in it messes up screen goes black then red and makes noise

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Was it an English V1.0 ROM, and are your emulator's settings correct? No one else has reported this problem, so I'm not really sure what else the cause could be.

ShockHERO

#TeamSonia Member
Years
This is actually pretty good. I like the idea of a game revolving around the actual theory of Evolution and how it would effect one Pokemon species.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 11, 2015
This is a pokemon that deserves ubers mine from my stall almost killed a whole team twice with only 1 attack -_-
And its hard to kill too even if its against a healer pokemon or setup
Glad to see it getting its own hack

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
Years
I've always disliked Shuckle, but offering it multiple variations like you do is pure genius!

I'll give it a try for sure!

PS :
Spoiler:

Edit : Whoa that was the fastest demo ever.
It suffers from some downsides, as the cutoff mountain tiles near NEXTCITY, the left-as-before dialogs lines and all that was said before, but holy donkers this game will be dope once it's completed... Hmm I did not manage to beat ehhh Brock because I was not in the mood for grinding.

Oh and I've seen that you've got some inspiration for movepools available : Shockle=Pikachu (Slam), Shucloud=Swablu (Astonish).

Oh and the cries remain unchanged, I'm sure you will try an invent some Shuckle's cries variations as you did for character design.

Oh and, just personal opinion, I think that Wormckle's movepool (or Atk stat, you choose) is underpowered compared to its fellow Shuckies.

I expect from this work! =D

Last edited:

mariomaniac432

Shuckle Master
Years
Thanks, everyone!

I am still working on this. I ended up taking a break from it for a while, and at other times I just didn't have time to work on it. the next demo will be playable through the 3rd Tour Destination. The maps are all done, and I've competed all the sprites for the Shuckle that will be available in the next release. I just have to write all the scripts and figure out why one of the ASM rotutines isn't working, and I'll be ready, but it will take a good bit of time. I've tweaked the story a bit (a lot), as I decided I don't like the one I made years ago when I first had this idea. The first post has been updated with a lot of new information. Screenshots are still from the old version, however.

Years
This game will be a masterpiece. The concept is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen considering Shuckle's one of my favorite Pokemon.

Good to know you're still working on it, good luck :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 31, 2017
caught a shiny bug shuckle right off xD 2 bad i cant show link right now x*( new sub.

Back