• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    this isnt really an update or anything havent really progressed much in the game besides going to that rich dudes house (he's got stacks on stacks son!) to get the pokeflute and grinding. It's hard w/o using the Exp. Share. Well i wouldnt say it's hard just tedious. Training each one individually! But i know in the long run it will all be worth it because they are all trained out of love!!!!

@ Cordelia: You not a fan of Ralts?? He's a good fairy type a lilweak deffensivly at 1st though and kind of slow to level up compared to the rest of the fairies.

Current Fairy Type Team:

Pokemon: Azurill
    Type: Normal / Fairy
    Level: 16

Pokemon: Ralts
    Type: Psychic / Fairy

Pokemon: Flabebe (yellow)
    Type: Fairy
    Level: 13

Years
  • Hi ! If i may, i'm signing up even though i just finished the first 5 generations, and i'll do Y as soon as i can (aka not in a while :[ )

Forum User Name: Paladark
    Pokémon Type: Water
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Game: Red - Gold - Ruby - Diamond - Black 2 - Y (Unsure if possible)

Games Beaten : Red (beat Blue) - Gold (beat Red) - Ruby (beat Steven) - Diamond (Beat Cynthia) - B2 (Beat Iris)
    I attached a picture of my teams since i can't post links... :c
    I used a Tentacruel whenever possible as a running gag, since i had nothing better to do...
    I also gave myself the extra rule of not using items during major bossfights...
    I think i respected every single one of the rules if i'm not mistaken !

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • Forum User Name: Ephraim225
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Challenge Type: Single
    Game(s): Red
    Previous Progress: No

Started this just now so I could see if Gen 1 is any harder if you do a monotype run with the worst type in the game :3

Current Team:
    Ivysaur L22
    Beedrill L13
    Nidoran M L11
    Zubat L7

Start~Cerulean City
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    @Ephraim225: i loved your attached image with the summary of all your pokemon i read them all (:. Just a typo u have in your spoiler i might be mistaken but i thought leech seed was an elemental move and bulbasaur learns it at lvl 7. a couple lines down you said squirtle learns bubble at 8 and no starter learns one before that lol

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • It's true, Leech Seed is grass type, but this matters about as much as Agility being psychic type matters: real damage isn't inflicted.

Also I never attached an image, are you referring to Paladark?

Years
  • first update - monotype type single bug challenge

Spoiler:

Here is my current team:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Ground Single Challenge (Update #4) - Pokemon Ruby

My Pokemon:
    Spr_3e_259.gif
    Spr_3e_075.gif
    Spr_3e_323.gif
    Spr_3e_028.gif
    Spr_3e_290.gif
    Spr_3e_328.gif

Team Info:
    Spoiler:

Updates:
    1) Went to the desert and trained up Sandy a bit. Found the Sandstorm TM and taught it to her, as well as the Dig TM (she couldn't deal much damage otherwise. Evolved her into Sandslash!
    2) Caught a Trapinch and named her Velma.
    3) Went to Petalburg and beat Dad's gym.
    4) Got Surf HM from Wally's parents and went to Dewford. Backtracked to get Lileep, and then realized/rememberd it's not Ground-type *facepalm*
    5) Saved in Rustboro City.

Badges:

50px-Stone_Badge.png
    50px-Knuckle_Badge.png
    50px-Dynamo_Badge.png
    50px-Heat_Badge.png
    50px-Balance_Badge.png

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    woops lol yeah i ment paladark xD sorry about that bud!!!!!!!!!

FAIRY MONOTYPE CHALLANGE UPDATE #3

- so the grinding continues and im battling and FINALLY my azurill evolved into Marill which gave it alot of power @ lvl 17 and then the VERY NEXT LEVEL it evolved into Azumarill and now it's super bulky pretty much nothing hurts it.

- finally took the pokeflute i got form the mansion after finding that dude's dog and battle'd snorlax though at the time i wasnt power enough to kill it so i just ran tbh xD maybe im a chicken lol

- my beloved ralts evolved into a Kirlia .. so elegant <3

- chillin down the route of route 7 passed a daycare and thought about leaving the pokemon there buh i was like naaaah im the real OG so im grinding out my pokemon .. ran into a wild Spritzee and captured it. normally i like my pokemon based off of looks and soo i wasnt too thrilled about spritzee i mean he's a fairy so im using her ... buh when i put her in battle HOLY FAIRY IS SHE BULKY!!! only boasting the fairy type she takes hits like a BOSS!!! slowly becoming a team favorite

Current Pokemon Team:

Pokemon: Kirlia
    Type: Psychic / Fairy
    Level: 20

Pokemon: Flabebe

Pokemon: Azumarill
    Type: Water / Fairy
    Level: 19

Pokemon: Spritzee
    Level: 14

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • Update: Just got the fifth badge. Something tells me doing this in Gen 1 and not Fire Red was a bad idea...

Current team:
    Nidoking L27
    Venusaur L39
    Beedrill L16
    Ekans L10
    Oddish L13
    Nidoran (F) L4

Cerulean City~Fuchsia City
    Spoiler:

Years
  • X Dark Monotype, Update #2

Spoiler:

So here's my team:
    Spoiler:

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    I told you a bit back I would sign up. So sign up I shall!

Forum User Name: Kirozane
    Pokémon Type: Normal
    Game(s): Y
    Previous Progress: Nope~

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Update time! I've been grinding my cute little Pegasus Knight rear end off and I beat the second gym (rock) with my fairy type team. Azumarill doesn't even have a water move so it was quite difficult. XD I had to grind quite a bit to get my team able to work together to take out the gym.

After I got that, I went through Route 10 and Geosenge before heading through Reflection Cave. I'm almost done with that and off to my next gym <3 so excited!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I updated the rules slightly to better reflect the stance on Pokemon Amie. It now only bans maxing it out and no longer adds an exception for Sylveon since you only need 2 hearts to evolve it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    Forum User Name: HollywoodDream
    Pokémon Type: Poison
    Game(s): FireRed
    Previous Progress: I'm pretty sure I did start a couple challenges a while back, but I'm not gonna be continuing those

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • ^Oh hey, a mono-Poison run of Fire Red. I'll be interested in how that turns out. Here's how mine's going:

Current team:
    Nidoking L40
    Venusaur L44
    Beedrill L16
    Ekans L10
    Oddish L13
    Weezing L37

Fuchsia City~Viridian City
    Spoiler:

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Ohey. Look at this. An updatemanate.

Spoiler:

The standouts of Normalcy
    Spoiler:

On to the next gym!

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    So I've been a pretty busy bee in my challenge today and I have gotten THREE badges. I struggled beating the grass and electric gyms because I was a bit underleveled but I managed with lots of potions and defeated them. The third gym was cake (Korrina's) as I'm doing a fairy monotype. My team is very solid with Aromatisse, Sylveon, Mawile, Azumarill, and Floette. I have the stone to evolve Floette but I'm waiting so she can get more moves.

By the way, the only reason I beat the grass gym is due to Sylveon's cute charm. XD His last Poke became infatuated and didn't hit me for three times in a row n_n

Ephraim225

Freaky Frillish Guy
    Years
  • Let's finish this.

Viridian City~Ending
    Spoiler:

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Welp, there were a few bumps along the way, and the only real difficult battles were the Champion and a select few enemies during the Elite Four battles. I had assumed such an old game would bare its fangs in response to me only using what's no doubt the worst type in the game, but of course Gen 1's own shortcomings lead to it falling apart early on. This leads me to believe that nothing could possibly make Gen 1 difficult...short of playing with six Haunter or six Dragonite, I guess. Or a Bug monotype challenge...I'm going to have to do that next aren't I? Oh dear. Well, this challenge was attempted mostly because I'm curious, but I may yet revisit this in the future. With a different type. In a better game. Or maybe...hm, I think I have an idea...well, until that time, I'll be keeping an eye on that Fire Red challenge. See ya.

Years
  • I am finally done ! I updated the picture and once again attached it.
    I'm gonna say some misc things here and there, i guess...

My most fun team definitely was my 6th gen team, with various double types and moves, overall good coverage and no grinding.
    My most powerful (relative to the game) definitely was 1st gen, where i obliterated the Elite 4 and leaders.
    My least powerful was Diamond, where none of my water folks was exceptionally standing out, unfortunately. :c

The pokemon i've had the most fun using was... my Lapras from 6th gen, or maybe my Azumarill from 5th gen. :p
    And the "worst piece of trash" award goes to... THAT DOGGAMN useless Lumineon from 4th gen !
    So i am done with this ultimate water monotype challenge. It was a quite fun experience, and i might do some gen 1 stuff next... We shall see !

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back