• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sending/shipping cards protection

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    I was wondering what kind of protection do you use for shipping cards and what kind of protection do you find acceptable.

I personally sell my cards on a site focused on cardsales and not on ebay, but I do sometimes buy my cards on ebay. So far no one has complained about how I protect the cards, often people even praise me for it.
    I don't always use toploaders. Only use those for single, expensive cards. I put the cards in the toploader and in between thin cardboard. Cardboard from cereal boxes for example.
    For cheaper cards I mostly just use the cardboard. Of course cards are always sleeved within the cardboard.
    This way cards don't get damaged whatsoever.

But now I have to ask you, if you would buy a card from me and I'd sent it to you just in a sleeve and in an envelope ... NOTHING extra for protection. Just the card in a single sleeve dumped in an envelope.
    What would you think of that?
    And how much protection do you think it has?

On top of that if anyone could explain to me why people use sleeves, that would be really nice (don't just say: "for protection" tho cuz we all know that :D)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I was wondering what kind of protection do you use for shipping cards and what kind of protection do you find acceptable.

I personally sell my cards on a site focused on cardsales and not on ebay, but I do sometimes buy my cards on ebay. So far no one has complained about how I protect the cards, often people even praise me for it.
    I don't always use toploaders. Only use those for single, expensive cards. I put the cards in the toploader and in between thin cardboard. Cardboard from cereal boxes for example.
    For cheaper cards I mostly just use the cardboard. Of course cards are always sleeved within the cardboard.
    This way cards don't get damaged whatsoever.

But now I have to ask you, if you would buy a card from me and I'd sent it to you just in a sleeve and in an envelope ... NOTHING extra for protection. Just the card in a single sleeve dumped in an envelope.
    What would you think of that?
    And how much protection do you think it has?

On top of that if anyone could explain to me why people use sleeves, that would be really nice (don't just say: "for protection" tho cuz we all know that :D)

I'd name and shame you if you sent me just a sleeve and envelop and open a paypal claim against you

Years
  • Using just an envelope to ship a card with no protection for the card inside is a fast track to getting the card damaged in transit. Think about how carelessly you treat your normal mail that doesn't have anything of value in it. Now imagine a treatment like 5 times worse, and you've got the base-level of abuse envelopes and packages face when being transported and handled by a mail service. I'd almost put money on the card being ripped or crushed (probably both!) in transit.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    I'd name and shame you if you sent me just a sleeve and envelop and open a paypal claim against you

Using just an envelope to ship a card with no protection for the card inside is a fast track to getting the card damaged in transit. Think about how carelessly you treat your normal mail that doesn't have anything of value in it. Now imagine a treatment like 5 times worse, and you've got the base-level of abuse envelopes and packages face when being transported and handled by a mail service. I'd almost put money on the card being ripped or crushed (probably both!) in transit.

Well, this is exactly what happened to me.
    I bought a Lucario-ex for imo a reasonable price (still a bit pricey but for some reason that's just what he is) and it was sent to me in just a sleeve, dropped in an envelope with nothing more. Not even a small note or anything else.
    And of course it got damaged along the way.
    I told the seller about it and he replied saying that "the card will be fine" ... something I don't really understand cuz it's already not fine anymore O.O

He also said that he's been "pleasing people" for a while now so I got really curious if just a sleeve is fine to ship cards cuz I've been rather paranoid whenever I sent cards XD
    Idk why I waste toploaders and such if just a sleeve protects cards against nuclear fallout (figure of speaking of course)

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    Oh, no, you need at least cardboard if not a toploader with shipping cards. A sleeve isn't going to cut it.

Put in an eBay complaint over the seller's subpar packaging. He does not understand the market at all.

I just got a response from the guy and it seems there are quite a lot of things he doesn't understand.
    Honestly feels as if I'm talking to some kid trying to act big.
    Before I take any steps I always try to talk to the person, see if it can be solved in a decent manner but he's not willing at all.
    He didn't actually respond to the problem which is the card, in this case, it's all I care about. I bought an item that was supposed to be in good condition and because of poor choices it got damage.
    And he responds with and I have to copy/paste this because it's just to ridiculous:

"I m very bright. You pathetic scumbag. Your words are meaningless. Don t message me anymore. People like you are not worth the effort to talk to. I m one of a kind. You being normal is like calling a gangster a good person deep down. What a retard. Have fun!!! Loser"

also this:

"Plus I m a film actor and a model. I ll be posting to my fans how much of an ass you really are. My people will say the same. You are pitiful ! Gotta love how foolish the haters are. How jealous!!! Go America!!!"

Let's ignore the spelling and just go to the fact that he didn't say anything about the problem at hand ...
    I have no idea how I can respond to this because it has nothing to do with the problem at hand.
    I guess paypal claims/cases is my only option here?!
    Idk about you guys but I don't really like ebay's help. One of the reasons I mostly avoid ebay because I've had nothing but bad experiences with the solution/help center.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here had these bad experiences with tcg sellers online where it's impossible to talk to about a problem? Or idk, weird experiences?
    Like selling a card as mint, having the buyer say that it's mint but claiming in the same statement that they want a refund because it's not "mint". (yeah, that has happened to me XD)

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I just got a response from the guy and it seems there are quite a lot of things he doesn't understand.
    Honestly feels as if I'm talking to some kid trying to act big.
    Before I take any steps I always try to talk to the person, see if it can be solved in a decent manner but he's not willing at all.
    He didn't actually respond to the problem which is the card, in this case, it's all I care about. I bought an item that was supposed to be in good condition and because of poor choices it got damage.
    And he responds with and I have to copy/paste this because it's just to ridiculous:

"I m very bright. You pathetic scumbag. Your words are meaningless. Don t message me anymore. People like you are not worth the effort to talk to. I m one of a kind. You being normal is like calling a gangster a good person deep down. What a retard. Have fun!!! Loser"

also this:

"Plus I m a film actor and a model. I ll be posting to my fans how much of an ass you really are. My people will say the same. You are pitiful ! Gotta love how foolish the haters are. How jealous!!! Go America!!!"

Let's ignore the spelling and just go to the fact that he didn't say anything about the problem at hand ...
    I have no idea how I can respond to this because it has nothing to do with the problem at hand.
    I guess paypal claims/cases is my only option here?!
    Idk about you guys but I don't really like ebay's help. One of the reasons I mostly avoid ebay because I've had nothing but bad experiences with the solution/help center.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here had these bad experiences with tcg sellers online where it's impossible to talk to about a problem? Or idk, weird experiences?
    Like selling a card as mint, having the buyer say that it's mint but claiming in the same statement that they want a refund because it's not "mint". (yeah, that has happened to me XD)

Maybe he was an actor.

The "mint" thing is super subjective, as a rule of thumb, always sell as NM/M instead of "mint" simply because mint to one person is nm to another.

eBay has always helped me out, they just take ages to do anything. Going straight to Paypal is the best thing you can do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2022
    Maybe he was an actor.

The "mint" thing is super subjective, as a rule of thumb, always sell as NM/M instead of "mint" simply because mint to one person is nm to another.

eBay has always helped me out, they just take ages to do anything. Going straight to Paypal is the best thing you can do.

The site I use for selling has NM as default and I always keep it on that (unless it's damaged of course).
    Because there's always something, people will always find something.

I've had a number of bad experiences with ebay sellers and ebay themselves because their solution is you sending the item back and getting a refund for the original price of what you paid for it.
    That excludes the shipping fee for return and most of the time these are really expensive for me.
    An example was an item (semi big, it was a prop just for showcasing) it costed me about 80 bucks but it arrived with missing parts. I could sent it back to get a refund of 80 bucks but the shipping costed me 36. So at the end of that I would've lost 36 bucks and have nothing in return to show for it :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2017
    Most of the people that ship it to me use an envelope but have 2 pieces of thick cardboard inbetween the card + a sleeve

Back