• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Korea to enter state of war with South Korea and United States

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Two medium-range missiles have been loaded onto mobile launchers in North Korea and are ready to be launched, South Korea's semi-official Yonhap news agency reported Friday, citing military sources in Seoul.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/05/world/asia/koreas-tensions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Things are about to get serious, I doubt a bluff would get this far especially if the KPA didnt want war. Which it seems to me it might just come down to.

Also I think alot of people forgot this but North Korea has a huge stockpile of Bio weapons...

Years
It's two missiles. Two. Not even missile batteries - just two trucks with a rocket in the back. And these are ballistic, not cruise missiles so they're easier to intercept. A high-school student should have the knowledge to project the missile interception's path to the trajectory of the missile.

KingCharizard

Years
It's two missiles. Two. Not even missile batteries - just two trucks with a rocket in the back. And these are ballistic, not cruise missiles so they're easier to intercept. A high-school student should have the knowledge to project the missile interception's path to the trajectory of the missile.

regardless, it could cause war. It can only take one stone to cause a conflict..

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years

You're completely overlooking the fact that they are, well, missiles. Missiles are missiles. They are weapons that have the potential to destroy regardless of type or strength. And, in this case, they are in the wrong hands. Who knows what North Korea might do with them. Yeah, if they are launched, they can be shot down easily like you said, but that would initiate a war most likely, and we all know a countless number of innocent civilians and soldiers die in wars.

Years
Two missiles would be tactically insignificant. They might be positioning their missiles as a threat, but they wouldn't be practical meaning the North Koreans are not intending to use them. Accidents are unlikely to occur. They would need coordinates and are likely commanded by a separate military branch, much like how ballistic missiles are handled by the Chinese military.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

KingCharizard

Years
Two missiles would be tactically insignificant. They might be positioning their missiles as a threat, but they wouldn't be practical meaning the North Koreans are not intending to use them. Accidents are unlikely to occur. They would need coordinates and are likely commanded by a separate military branch, much like how ballistic missiles are handled by the Chinese military.

your forgetting they have alot of missiles hidden and what not, just cause we can see two doesnt mean anything and doesnt north korea have a few submarines?

Years
most of their missiles are unguided though. And back to the point I was making, the two missiles are a posturing of the KPA. They do it to threaten, they're not making a militarily significant move.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
IMO You dont taunt one of the most powerful countries in the world if you dont have a plan because like went said above what would they gain?...
First of all, you completely misinterpreted his post. Second, what NK gains from this is internal stability. Their new leader is untested and in a position to be overthrown by the military if he is seen as too weak. He's doing something outrageous to prove to his peers internally that he has the guts to stand up to the world at large. He knows that nobody's going to do anything so long as all they do it shout insults. Contrary to popular belief, even NK's leadership isn't stupid.

KingCharizard

Years
First of all, you completely misinterpreted his post.

uhh what are you talking about? misinterpreted his post? How so, I just said I agreed with his point, "what would they gain"..

Their new leader is untested and in a position to be overthrown by the military if he is seen as too weak. He's doing something outrageous to prove to his peers internally that he has the guts to stand up to the world at large.

Now this is a huge gamble because it could cost him everything to assert his strength, assuming that's what he is trying to do in the first place. You seem to be assuming what most are this is to portray his strength, that North Korea doesn't stand a chance, I beg to differ on both assumptions but again that is my point of view on the situation. Also even if he asserts his strength, his country will now be cut off more from the rest of the world and stricter sanctions will probably be placed and his country struggling even more to support itself, so if you ask me playing a cat and mouse game with us or anyone isn't beneficial to him or anyone else..

Contrary to popular belief, even NK's leadership isn't stupid.
I never said NK is stupid, in fact I said the opposite the whole time..

He knows that nobody's going to do anything so long as all they do it shout insults.

I fail to see how loading missiles into launchers is anything close to shouting insults.. Thats not even a sick joke at a time like this, its playing with fire almost literally.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Because the US intervening on the peninsula was half of the reason there's a North and South Korea in the first place. And Korea is in China's backyard, much like the Monroe doctrine and how Americans didn't want Europeans intervening. Furthermore, Korea borders China, and I think China would want a direct say in how things would get done, who will invest in the new regime, what they'll do about potential refugees, and so on. And Korea and Japan wouldn't want America to get too involved. While they're cautious of rising Chinese power, bringing in foreign influence has never lead to peace no matter where you are in the world (French and Spanish intervening in Italy, America in the Middle East).

So China + Korea have the most to gain. An analogy may be how the US freaked out over the Cuban missile crisis. While the US wouldn't go arming united Korea with nukes, mistrust over the going-ons in your backyard will drive the Chinese paranoid. Anyways, the US will probably allow China to decide how the occupation will be carried out. It's implied in the respect of a great power's "sovereignty" in its sphere of influence, and I don't think the US would throw that out the window.
Yes. But, again, I think that all applies to if South Korea is attacked. If they attack the US (which in all honesty, I can't imagine something NK launches not falling into the ocean XD, but still. If they do manage to), then I think the US would be entirely justified in striking back regardless of what China may want.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
uhh what are you talking about? misinterpreted his post? How so, I just said I agreed with his point, "what would they gain"..

Well, if anything, you said that "they must have a plan we can't see yet". I said that the plan is quite visible already: looking all scary and threatening to get some negotiations going with the US and China in exchange for food and economic help. It's the only hand they can play and they are playing it, otherwise the country would fall into internal chaos.

It's not that they have a mysterious plan all this weapon shuffling is a part of, their entire plan is just shaking their fists.

Years
And after they justify themselves in attacking North Korea, they'll justify their continued presence on the peninsula, maybe taking a greater role in the occupation. Countries that want to have a say want to fight. The Soviet Union didn't have to invade northern China during the end of WWII, but they did so they hoped to support Kim Il Sung and maybe turn Hokkaido into a communist republic. They got the first of their two goals and look at where things are now. I'm afraid of a US invasion because it'll only justify them being even more involved, making there even more conflict.

One thing that may make this outcome not-so-likely is if the US hands over occupation to China + Korea, or perhaps Korea with China and the US "observing". That might work if public opinion goes against occupation, which I hope it will (and it'll probably go against public opinion in China and Korea anyways, maybe Japan?).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Well, if anything, you said that "they must have a plan we can't see yet". I said that the plan is quite visible already: looking all scary and threatening to get some negotiations going with the US and China in exchange for food and economic help. It's the only hand they can play and they are playing it, otherwise the country would fall into internal chaos.

It's not that they have a mysterious plan all this weapon shuffling is a part of, their entire plan is just shaking their fists.
All the binoculars pictures seem more like bird watching than scary and threatening to me XD

KingCharizard

Years

I think they do have a real plan, that what my statement was about when i said "They have a plan". I really believe they have a logical reason behind their actions as of late. I dont see this being just a way to prove they are strong and their leader is strong, i think that is nonsense and there are better ways of going about it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Yes. But, again, I think that all applies to if South Korea is attacked. If they attack the US (which in all honesty, I can't imagine something NK launches not falling into the ocean XD, but still. If they do manage to), then I think the US would be entirely justified in striking back regardless of what China may want.

And thats the problem with international politics - No matter how justified retaliation may be, somehow your always going to lose face with it.

We can't forget N.Korea's treaty with China. Afterall, they might decide to take a page out of our book.

By this, I mean the US stating that they will, should Israel take actions against Iran (ie, attack them) stand by them.

The US is a paper tiger in this situiation, really. A portion of our economy is reliant on cheap Chinese labor - Should the US occupy N. Korea, I really wouldn't be surprised if China decides to limit exports.

No one really wants to admit this - While we have a better military then China, but they have our economy by the balls. Because of this, China's defense of N. Korea wouldn't have to be military action - It could be economic action.

Years
Meh, China is trying to reduce dependency on its exports and develop an internal market for its goods. The US economy is actually the probably only one economy that could survive without any trade - exactly what North Korea intended to do. I looked at the numbers comparing the size of total annual trade (import+export) with national GDP. For the US, the ratio is 25%, whereas it is 50% for China. The only other countries with a ratio <30% are poor third-world countries like Ethiopia and Pakistan that would probably do better with an export-driven economy.

If push comes to shove, the Chinese rely more on the US than vice versa in terms of trade. I don't know how debt comes into the picture but it obviously has an effect. If China attacks, it's probably not out of respect for the alliance, but in its self-interest for security purposes.

droomph

weeb
Years
If push comes to shove, the Chinese rely more on the US than vice versa in terms of trade. I don't know how debt comes into the picture but it obviously has an effect. If China attacks, it's probably not out of respect for the alliance, but in its self-interest for security purposes.

adding on to that.

My history teacher told us something about alliances in class one day: they only support them if there's a reason.

Like in WWI, the alliances were upheld because each of the countries had their own reasons for fighting.

…yeah, alliances are pointless beyond the symbolic part.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
adding on to that.

My history teacher told us something about alliances in class one day: they only support them if there's a reason.

Like in WWI, the alliances were upheld because each of the countries had their own reasons for fighting.

…yeah, alliances are pointless beyond the symbolic part.

Well, yeah. Same with WWII.

Years
With all this being said, I'd really like to see Korea unite. It would probably be my foreign-policy/diplomatic dream come true. For then you'll have three different powers in their own right: China, Korea and Japan in East Asia. I think then there would be a good guarantee of peace in the region without the United States. Which would be good for all countries - I say this even from the US perspective because you guys need defence cuts XD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I may be getting ahead of myself but if North Korea were to fall the nations participating in the occupation/ reconstruction will need to secure the Nukes and make sure no terrorist/ outside party gets their hands on them.

I'm hoping that we don't have a war (well technically it's on going, so I hope it doesn't go back to a battle field war). And if we do, then I hope China and (South) Korea can work together to rebuild the North (I don't want Japan to be involve in the occupation as the Koreans may feel that they're being colonized by the Japanese once more). Also one doesn't know what kind of resentment the Northerners may have due to the propaganda they've been fed with all their lives...

Back