• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Subbed] Is the pokemon anime an shonen one?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
  • Topic, i ask because it was "stated" to be an shonen manga on polish wikipedia, but it's longer titled as such

Pokemon (unlike most shonens) doesn't have blood, but has adult themes (Like that woman in playboy bunny suit in one epiosde, guys being perverts on little girls (Yes that includes Brock on Casey), and the breasts hugging joke) and mild swearing, so i geuss that's why it was censored by 1kids and Pokemon Company USA.

But what do you think?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • personally I think it's partly a shonen still, but mostly action/adventure genre aimed towards kids?

Isn't shonen targered for 7-12 year old boys too thought?

Also thank you for the reply

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • A shonen? Well... tbh, no. I think shonen anime are targeted at boys aged from 12-18. In this case, Pokemon, as an anime, is aimed at a younger demographic than that. It has shonen elements, but I don't think it is one, perse, since Pokemon isn't just targeted at boys.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    I think my OPINION is not shonen they target teens and mostly kids....... maybe some a lil bit of shonen(mostly the episode were a guy pointed a gun at ash... i think it was episode 35 of the 1st season)but that part was only the early days of pokemon....
    ocV0qK.jpg

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • (mostly the episode were a guy pointed a gun at ash... i think it was episode 35 of the 1st season)but that part was only the early days of pokemon....
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1600x1200q90/923/ocV0qK.jpg

My kind lord, i was talking about more adult themes, but i shall put it in spoilers since girls may be offended by what ShoPro is showing for japanese kids

Spoiler:

Also yeah Meowth looks like he's flipping us off https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep052/nyarth_bird_small.png, i wonder why 4kids left this one?

Sorry for my english

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    My kind lord, i was talking about more adult themes, but i shall put it in spoilers since girls may be offended by what ShoPro is showing for japanese kids

Spoiler:

Also yeah Meowth looks like he's flipping us off https://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/kanto/ep052/nyarth_bird_small.png, i wonder why 4kids left this one?

Sorry for my english

okayyyyyyyy... and also the chef at the kalos camp.(i think) it has very huge ones

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Also the chef at the kalos camp.(i think) it has very huge ones

Hmm🤔 never noticed that, which episode was that? Gonna check it on CDA, since i must have skipped that, but yeah PCUSA are known to cut/edit modern pokemon scenes, like for example Ash vommiting springles (LOL?) on pikachu's face

Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Pwhyx7UDI ah yes Meowth lifeless body and his soul returning too, that's funny since in tower of terror, Haunter pulled off Ash's and pikachu's soul and it was fine, modern kids cartoons laws huh?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2021
    I've watched mostly shounen anime, and I guess Pokemon have elements of Shounen but it's mostly targeted for much younger kids than what shounen is. I'd say shounen is mostly targeted to teenagers (13-19 ish). Pokemon is targeted to 6-12 ish. Nowadays teenagers are put off by pokemon and think it's childish which it sort of is in a way. So, targeted for children mostly, imo.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Pokemon is a very strange kodomo (children's anime) that uses shounen tropes (tournament arcs, training arcs, battles, hotblooded yet all-loving heroes) and even blends in shoujo tropes for the Contest arcs (Harley's character & crossdressing, the initially teasing and aloof upperclassman rival/love interest Drew, the snooty ojou/young lady rivals like Urara/Ursula, the charming & princely girl character like Nozomi/Zoey, the emphasis on the mother-daughter bond & being inspired yet initially overshadowed by her with Dawn and her mother, they even use the superficial motifs like ribbons, flowers, and in DP, flouncy/ballroom dresses for girls and court uniforms for boys)...

It helps that the writers and animators are very familiar with and grew up with such works and like to reference them (like Rose of Versailles, TR has cosplayed Marie Antoinette and Oscar François de Jarjayes a number of times, there's also old shoujo sports anime references in Sun & Moon).

Some series use more shounen elements (for better or worse... XY), others feel more kodomo (Sun & Moon's school setting, slice-of-life elements, and heavier reliance on wacky expressions and slapstick comedy).

The typical kodomo anime is more like Doraemon, Hamtaro, etc., you can clearly see Pokemon is much more of a genre-blender, it also tries at times to bring in viewers outside of its target demographic (things like The Strongest Mega Evolution specials were aimed at a slightly older audience, more like the shounen crowd, with a teenaged lead too, but they called back to and tied in with the main series, Episode N was also repeatedly advertised in PASH! magazine which is geared at adult women).

Pokemon, however, has little to no blood and rarely ever has harsh language (not to mention that for the most part, Japanese has politeness levels and what is a very rude you often gets translated in subtitles as a swear word for English audiences). It might allude to adult topics very rarely, but does so in blink-and-you'll-miss-it subtle ways kids won't catch, even in Japanese.

Worthy of note is that shounen and shoujo, particularly in animated form, is still meant for kids as well as teenagers (age range: 7-14), hence the presence of kid appeal characters (Chibiusa/Chibimoon in Sailor Moon, Hitsugaya Toushirou in BLEACH, and similar). Also why the animated versions have stricter censorship than the manga, which, needing its readers to be old enough to easily read all that text, skews older (11-15 or so).

Last edited:

RisingstarVGC

Epic Reshiram
    Years
  • Pokémon is not a shonen. Shonen anime are targeted exclusively at boys. The Pokémon anime was made with both genders in mind. It has some shonen elements tho.

Back