• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Draw for PokéCommunity Daily!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
[sorry A&D mods this isn't actually art]

The short version: We'd like your art contributions to be used in PokéCommunity Daily! We'll give credit and readers will see your images! Right now, gym leader Blaine art would be appreciated!

Recently we launched a new platform called PokéCommunity Daily. Here we publish articles about Pokémon, from news items, opinions, guides, creative works and features on cool fan works. You can check out the forum section for more info or to see what articles are being pitched.

However, while we're looking for both article ideas and people to write them, we're also welcoming contributions of the visual kind. Images are going to be frequently used within Daily articles, and every article will also have a cover image (see the main Daily page or the top of any article for examples). And while we can use those available from official sources or other fanwork, it'd be neat to incorporate more than just writing from PokéCommunity forum members for Daily. =) Feel free to offer up anything - even if we don't have any relevant articles at the time to make use of them, there may well be ones later. That said, we won't necessarily use all images offered up, and there's some requirements (e.g. preferred sizes/aspect ratios for cover article images when possible).

If we do end up using an image made by you, you'll be credited within the article/s making use of it including if desired a link to the source location you want to be used, and it may be extra exposure as well to readers who don't frequent A&D, or even readers who don't go on the forums.

Sometimes we may ask for specific art too. For instance, right now! =p There's an article series that will be about neat Pokémon facts that aren't common knowledge , written from the POV of gym leader Blaine, a character who likes his quizzes (info post here with more details, and general thread about this article series). What would be neat for all article cover images for this series is to have Blaine super-imposed in front of the subject matter. And while there's neat images around like this...
Spoiler:

...there's none of high resolution or size. Which is a pity, because that pose. So if anyone is willing to draw Blaine posing like that or something in that vein (preferably larger/decent resolution, transparent background), we'll consider it! And we needn't use the same Blaine image for every such article either. ;p

Any questions? Ask away!

Years
For the Blaine image, did you only want a redrawing of that pose, or are you open to more ideas or drawings?

Do we want to wait for a call to action here, or should we go over to daily and look at things? If we look through the daily forum and see a green lit thread, could we ask to work on art with them? Or at least throw some thumbnails of ideas their way? (like who has the end say in which art goes where)

Such as pokemon music articles have been greenlit, so could I say, "here's some sketches I thought of that would go nice with the article, what do you think/would you like to work with me on one?" and it be appropriate?

Also we could help you out on the format of the threads so make it look more...articley.

Articles are published on the WordPress site with a cover image and excerpt (a short single sentence describing the article along with the title). Please supply suggestions, or request that others help provide these. Cover images must have permission to be used! These have limits of 640x480 as a minimum size, JPG (or PNG where best), and aim for 100 KB as a file size limit. If you know aspect ratios, aim for images to be 4:3, 16:9 or 1:1.

Ah just caught this! That helps a bit with format of art, though I still think there needs to be a bit more proper formatting for image/content integration. a.k.a please for the love of god align and wrap text around your images unless it's an actual break.
(This versus this.)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
For the Blaine image, did you only want a redrawing of that pose, or are you open to more ideas or drawings?
Either-or. I am personally very fond of that post or something close to it, but if there's other drawings that'd suit the article series and putting him in front of backgrounds for each cover image, that's also fine. As said earlier too, we can rotate through multiple.
Do we want to wait for a call to action here, or should we go over to daily and look at things? If we look through the daily forum and see a green lit thread, could we ask to work on art with them? Or at least throw some thumbnails of ideas their way? (like who has the end say in which art goes where)

Such as pokemon music articles have been greenlit, so could I say, "here's some sketches I thought of that would go nice with the article, what do you think/would you like to work with me on one?" and it be appropriate?
Both! We'll come with requests every so often, but you can pop into any thread and offer your own input/ideas (it's why the idea pitching process is public - getting feedback is always appreciated.

As Jake says, the writer and ultimately the Daily staff team get the end say.
Ah just caught this! That helps a bit with format of art, though I still think there needs to be a bit more proper formatting for image/content integration. a.k.a please for the love of god align and wrap text around your images unless it's an actual break.

(This versus this.)
Eh, tbh I feel that what was done in the first example (lack of text wrap) is alright for that article, while the caption is left-aligned with the image in each case sans the cover image (it may not look it for the awkwardzombie image admittedly, but that's due to the whitespace it has). Each article's presentation is up to the Daily staff that have WordPress access, but suggestions can be made to them as well (and edits made after publishing if required).

Years
So it's pretty much all up the writer to decide what the art will look like, what they want in it, and what the article design will be.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So it's pretty much all up the writer to decide what the art will look like, what they want in it, and what the article design will be.
Well... writer to a large extent, but Daily staff also give their input and have some say. And sometimes the writer may not have a preference for images used in which case Daily staff have the decision there.

Years
Well... writer to a large extent, but Daily staff also give their input and have some say. And sometimes the writer may not have a preference for images used in which case Daily staff have the decision there.

Mmmhm, so you want artists to contribute and make full works of art that may or may not be used with little input or advice from their side. Got it. :chu:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Mmmhm, so you want artists to contribute and make full works of art that may or may not be used with little input or advice from their side. Got it. :chu:
I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough then earlier. Artists are also able to offer input and advice on what goes in, how, etc. (And in the article pitching thread anyone can offer input even if they won't take any part in the article creation process afterward). It certainly won't be little or no input! The final call does go to the writer and then Daily staff on how the article is structured, content, presented, etc, but they need to sensibly support their decision too, so nobody's input can be just dismissed without discussion. So any images offered up cannot be just not used, for example.

Certainly didn't want to give off that impression... 'End say' differs from the whole process. I hope that clears that up.

Last edited:
Back