• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

new Ability Idea feedback needed.

Weather prediction vs Weather control

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
So posting here to hopefully get some eyes on this now, instead of in 3 days.

What do you think is best?

An ability that changes the weather next turn.

vs

An ability that changes the weather now.

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I'm going to assume "next turn" means at the start of the next turn (if it's at the end I think it's fairly clear that now is better).

Pros of next turn:
- Lasts a turn longer.
- Extends a weather you've already set up (depending on how it's coded).

Pros of now:
- Blanks your opponent's weather on the turn you switch in.
- Works on the first turn of the game/a post-KO switch.

Blanking weather is only strong if weather is strong, but back in gen 5 we used that feature a lot to make Solar Beam a risky move to use on Sun teams until after the weather war has been won.

Maybe I've missed something? But I think "now" comes out ahead here for weather-themed teams, and "later" might come out better if you've just got a simple combo like Hippowdon + Excadrill because the extra turn matters more than the immediacy?
EDIT: Actually, for that Hippo+Drill combo, I guess "end of next turn" is better again, post-KO you can send in Hippo, switch to Drill and then get 5/8 full turns under sandstorm.

Last edited:

Outwitter

You reap what you plant...
Years
Speed stat plays a very critical role in weather conditions as well. In a situation where both the opposing pokemons have weather activating abilities; the slower pokemon's ability will override the weather conditions induced by the faster one's ability. Slow and steady surely wins the weather race!

Moreover, from my perspective, the scenario where weather conditions are being induced in the same turn is advantageous if the switching pokemon itself has some moves up its sleeve specifically for these conditions. For example, if a pokemon with the ability drizzle knows moves like Hydro Pump or Thunder; he is going to wreak havoc for sure. Simply put, it largely depends on the role that particular pokemon is performing in the team, i.e., if the weather inducer itself is an aggressive sweeper; it's best to have the conditions activated right off the bat. On the other hand, if it's being used for setting up weather conditions and other hazards, it's best to have the conditions activated from the next turn to give the upcoming sweeper maximum number of turns to capitalize.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Speed stat plays a very critical role in weather conditions as well. In a situation where both the opposing pokemons have weather activating abilities; the slower pokemon's ability will override the weather conditions induced by the faster one's ability. Slow and steady surely wins the weather race!

On the other hand, if it's being used for setting up weather conditions and other hazards, it's best to have the conditions activated from the next turn to give the upcoming sweeper maximum number of turns to capitalize.

I'm going to assume "next turn" means at the start of the next turn (if it's at the end I think it's fairly clear that now is better).

Pros of next turn:
- Lasts a turn longer.
- Extends a weather you've already set up (depending on how it's coded).

Pros of now:
- Blanks your opponent's weather on the turn you switch in.
- Works on the first turn of the game/a post-KO switch.

Blanking weather is only strong if weather is strong, but back in gen 5 we used that feature a lot to make Solar Beam a risky move to use on Sun teams until after the weather war has been won.

Maybe I've missed something? But I think "now" comes out ahead here for weather-themed teams, and "later" might come out better if you've just got a simple combo like Hippowdon + Excadrill because the extra turn matters more than the immediacy?
EDIT: Actually, for that Hippo+Drill combo, I guess "end of next turn" is better again, post-KO you can send in Hippo, switch to Drill and then get 5/8 full turns under sandstorm.

Thanks for the quick responses, and otuwitter I never knew that, that's very interesting to know.

So to clarify if it changed weather next turn, it would be at the start of the next turn, as if the pokemon moved first and used a weather move themselves.

But what Outwitter brought, is a really interesting potential con of the ability changing weather on turn start

Since the ability doesn't work like a move, i.e taking speed into account, then its possible that if a weather move was used same turn by a faster opponent, it would immediately cancel out, before the user could even take advantage of it. XD

That's the case for either option too, but more so if its next turn start.
Soon as the text plays alerting the opponent the strat would just be to swap to a faster pokemon with a weather move, and boom canceled.

Personally I'm leaning more towards it working immediately.

But I hadn't thought of changing the code to extend the weather if the effect was used again.

It would be useful sure, but would it be too powerful? and to narrow the scope a bit, I'm proposing this an ability change for castform.

essentially turning weather ball, into something like a stronger hidden power.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
Ok just a little update for the interested, I eventually did it/got it working, and I went with consensus and made it change the ability that turn.

So now castform's forecast automatically changes weather on switch in(may change), has a chance to change the weather each turn, and is also immune to all weather damage, including sandstorm.

big thanks to everyone that responded.

castform.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
maybe I should just turn this into a general feedback thread for my hack?

anyway I've done some more stuff, and want to test some opinions.

Ok so normally you catch a pokemon the pokeball shakes and it'll either fail, or the pokemon will stay in.

I've made some changes that completely upset that formula, but I'm wondering, if I should also keep the chance for the pokeball to shake and fail,
in the game, but at lower odds?

The idea being it would give the player that excited feeling of "AHH I got it", or "Is it caught?!!"

Because the way I have it set up now, if the pokemon is in the ball, its guaranteed caught.

It's open to everyone of course, but since ya'll gave me such good feedback before, what do you'll think?

Outwitter

You reap what you plant...
Years
I think that the original mechanics i.e. pokeball shaking and failing sometimes is better. As guaranteed catch is the property of a Masterball, and it should remain like that. I am more interested in removing the wastage of a pokeball that fails to capture, and I think there is an option for that in TL' Quick Enhancer tool. You should check that out if it piques your interest as well. : )​

Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Personally, I don't like the randomness in the capture mechanics at all. But I don't have any better suggestions for it, or how balls could work in general… :(

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
ok good to know.

thanks.

and if y'all are interested in checking out what I have so far, head over to sideshow showcase and look for Kai-Zen Red.

Back