• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you trust big tech companies?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • I was wondering if people here trusted big tech compaines like Google and Facebook. I've heard a lot recently about Google being accused of being a Monopoly or something, so I figured I'd make this thread.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • the sad part is that sometimes if you dont trust the company, theres sometimes no good enough alts. compared to em so it ends up you just use em. I use em, i try to limit myself to em, like im rarely on facebook, and the main use of facebook for me is my Oculus quest 2, google wise, its google or apple and for the most part people choose google, like myself so there is some degree of google i cant escape on my phone.

but do i trust em? i trust em enough to use their products and not just sell my info to a rando on the street, and my trust comes from in this point in time its more of you get great features and support through data collection or get a sucky alternative (while all the alts arent bad, some are actually pretty nice, but for the most part they dont live up to these tech giants)

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    This month, facebook has banned 5 of my friends off of facebook, two of them are not even political people at all and its the algorithm gone haywire. I'm in close contact with one of them while he was feeling serious depression.

screw facebook

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • I don't trust them but at the same time I can understand the symbiotic relationship that exists between us. They give us free features/content and in exchange we sacrifice some privacy.
    Do I like it? No. Are there any alternatives? Probably, but those are either paid or either don't offer as much in terms of overall satisfaction. =/

Take Google Maps for example. That thing is GOOD, ngl. Being able to check where you are in real time, seeing what types of transportation takes you there faster, etc. But I know the price to pay is also high - google gets all my location information stored on their cloud.
    Now the alternatives consist of me already knowing where the hell am I and where I want to go. Check if that place exists on my city and then I would probably have to grab a physical map of the entire city or check the subway/train bulletins which is much more time consuming and boring af. =S

The thing I hate most than google/social media spying on us is that evil algorithm that traps us all in a bubble of information. Say you are an x candidate supporter, Google will shape the results in a way that makes you only see stuff that the algorithm thinks you would like to see. You won't see the nasties as much as the good stuff. This makes people get their high levels of validation and becoming extremely self absorved, often resulting in sick minds, lack of good communication (everyone is having their own results of the samething), etc.

Years
  • i feel it's best to keep big tech companies at arm's length. i use their products, but don't go too deep into their respective ecosystems. probably doesn't stop them from having a lot of information on me, but it makes me comfortable knowing that im ankle-deep instead of shoulder-deep into any one big companies' products.

Back