• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(UPDATE: I found cause of error, FIXED). Make Error I can't defeat and I've tried everything.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 15, 2019
So, as someone who is new at this it took me a while to understand the instructions in Install.md and then figure out the other things I needed to do that weren't mentioned there. I am using msys2 to make the basic Pokeemerald to be sure it works before I git clone the Battle Engine, Poke Expansion, and Item Expansion.

I have the devkitARM, I have the libraries I need installed with msys2, I've made lots of progress with figuring out errors on my own and getting further into being able to work on my personal hack. I even went and set up Cygwin elsewhere to see if I would get the same error, and I do. So close, yet so far. Can someone explain to me what this error means, I am totally stomped because I should be able to make with no problems at this point. Anyway, here is the error:

tools/jsonproc/jsonproc.exe src/data/wild_encounters.json src/data/wild_encounters.json.txt src/data/wild_encounters.h
tools/gbagfx/gbagfx.exe graphics/weather/0.pal graphics/weather/0.gbapal
JSONPROC_ERROR: [inja.exception.render_error] function 'trackVar' (2) not found
make: *** [json_data_rules.mk:6: src/data/wild_encounters.h] Error 1
make: *** Deleting file 'src/data/wild_encounters.h

How do I fix this? Thank you for your time in advance.

EDIT: For additional info, I am using the latest tools from PokeRuby tools. Guess I'll take a look at the files involved, and into the JSONPROC tool and Inja. I don't understand coding but I'll figure out this error eventually, and on my own if I have to. the json_data_rules.mk might have an interesting lead and something new for me to try.

EDIT 2: Guess what? I fixed the issue and finally can make pokeemerald.gba. Thankfully I didn't have to do anything crazy like trying to figure out how to build the jsonproc tool from scratch. The problem is, the jsonproc folder from the PokeRuby tools has an outdated file: jsonproc.cpp. The only folder with the correct jsonproc files is the pokeemerald-master. It's jsonproc.cpp is 4kb while the rest are only 3kb and give the error during make.

For any one who has this issue in the future: Copy the tools from PokeRuby, then make sure you are using the jsonproc files from the pokeemerald-master. The jsonproc.cpp in battle_engive_v2, item_expansion, and pokemon_expansion and PokeRuby will give the error.

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
EDIT 2: Guess what? I fixed the issue and finally can make pokeemerald.gba. Thankfully I didn't have to do anything crazy like trying to figure out how to build the jsonproc tool from scratch. The problem is, the jsonproc folder from the PokeRuby tools has an outdated file: jsonproc.cpp. The only folder with the correct jsonproc files is the pokeemerald-master. It's jsonproc.cpp is 4kb while the rest are only 3kb and give the error during make.
Hold on. Did you try to compile a Pokeemerald ROM without the use of a Pokeruby-tools folder at all at first?
Because the tools that Pokeemerald needs should be getting built right there. You don't need to use the Pokeruby-tools repository at all.
EDIT: And the same thing goes for Pokeruby, unless you're trying to compile an outdated project, but even in such a case the Pokeruby-tools folder would be more than enough.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 15, 2019
Hold on. Did you try to compile a Pokeemerald ROM without the use of a Pokeruby-tools folder at all at first?
Because the tools that Pokeemerald needs should be getting built right there. You don't need to use the Pokeruby-tools repository at all.
EDIT: And the same thing goes for Pokeruby, unless you're trying to compile an outdated project, but even in such a case the Pokeruby-tools folder would be more than enough.

Yes I did, after Make command I would start seeing errors and close out of msys2. I'll git pokeemerald again from scratch to try that, and let it run to see what happens. I probably still have the wrong tool files and that's probably why I'm getting Make errors with the battle_engine. Your instructions in an earlier thread on the commands to use to combine battle_engine, poke_expansion, and item_expansion into pokeemerald were extremely helpful!

I took a break from my Pokeemerald woes by playing Torchlight 2 to take out my frustration on some monsters. I'm gonna try what you suggested right now and hopefully I have no more Make errors with the correct tools and can start changing Pokemon stats, moves, and anything else.

Thank you for the response.

EDIT: I just seen your new thread (much better tutorial) and your post in the other guide which is the one I followed. I need to get libpng.

EDIT2: With libpng installed, there are no make errors, it is creating the tools. I am very hopeful. Thank you again for the help!

Last edited:
Back