• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with people that make fun of you for play PKMN?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
In middle school, I was teased by a couple of boys for playing Pokemon. I mostly ignored them, but I found their actions so unnerving. They would tell me that Pokemon is for babies, that it's lame, etc. I truly think they had some issues, considering that they picked at my appearance too and bullied the prettiest girl in school. Well, they just bullied everyone.

In high school, I didn't mention my interests. Even when I found some girls who liked Pokemon, I totally pretended that I knew nothing about "so i herd u liek mudkipz" and whatnot. I didn't want a repeat of middle school.

My college friends don't know that I like Pokemon. I don't really see video game discussion ever popping up, lol. I mean, I mentioned Pokemon in a speech once in public speaking class, but we were supposed to describe a childhood memory.

Only my family knows, so I will a) ignore stupid comments about my interests and/or b) try to explain the complexity of the game and describe how adults can appreciate the strategic elements of the Pokemon games too. The latter method often gets my brothers to shut up. I tell them, yeah, I'm a Pokemon hotshot, I'm good at the games and I enjoy playing, I can abuse the mechanics and get any Pokemon I want, I've won tournaments (cough two cough), and I'm quite known in the fandom. It's not something just for kids. At the end of the day, I just exhaust them and they return to playing Call of Duty. </3

Villa10

Unhatched Cowboy
Years
I'm in college too, and despite having 22 years old and feeling old a bit, i don't care about that kind of stuff. Just like the first (i guess) post said, 'you play pokemon? lol' just go for 'yeah, i really like it' and done.

Years
I tell them that there are far more interesting things to do than criticize me, and that they should find a hobby too. I am a brony, pokefreak, and anime lover. So people like that, who have nothing to do but try to make others feel down... THEY JUST MAKE ME MAD. Therefore, depending on their usual attitude toward me, I will say different things. I pride myself on being an individual, and people who insult that and try to degrade me or others... That is the one thing I can't stand, ever.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I just don't play in public nor mention it if someone asks what did over the weekend or the like, so I don't put myself in a position where I would have to deal with it.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
when people ever give me s*** for playing Pokemon I usually just ignore them. Thee just immature and can't accept someone likes different games than them.

Triston1zn

GYM LEADER
Years
The truth is..people will keep putting you down or laughing at you, as long as it gets a response from you....I mean...as long as it effects you.

Sometimes even if you don't say anything, but you look angry or upset, they will continue picking on you...

Personally, I'm known as a funny/clown type of person...so if I do anything out of the ordinary, people find it ''funny and cute'' lol, but mostly, if I'm teased about playing pokemon.....I'll wear my huge PIKACHU T-shirt the next time and just embrace the teasing...either by yelling PIKACHU ROCKS!!...or jumping around them and saying PIKA-PEE...PIKA-CHUUUUU LMAO...they get so embarassed or they laugh so hard that they don't bother me again...EVER

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
Years
I'm 22 and I really enjoy playing pokemon. No one ever really teased me mostly because I'm the first one to let others know that I'm into it! Friends find it a bit wierd but cute. Usually we laugh about this topic together and forget about it :3

Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
I'm 15 and I still play Pokemon. Sometime when I bring my DS to school people will make fun of me for playing but, I just ignore them because they always state that any game that isn't GTA or Saint Rows is for babies. That includes Street Fight, Tekken, and Soul Calibur.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'm the type of guy who always gets the last word in any argument. So if someone is making fun of me playing Pokemon, I just laugh at the games THEY play, since most people that would probably make fun of you playing Pokemon are people that plays games like for example Call Of Duty, who's very repetitive and the player base are a bunch of 11 year old kids.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
Kind of a shame that liking pokemon is something to hide or be ashamed about these days T-T. I just try to distinguish those people that like to make fun of people for like pokemon and isolate myself from them.

fjord

Confused Nimrod
Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2012
I shot back,
"Go play pokemon; I can see that you're in a sour mood for not playing"

Flash a smile and leave.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2013
Usually when people give me flak about pokemon playing or enjoying it, I tell them what I tell people about other games that are available. The math and coding skill necessary to make a game like this is incredible, I like a challenge for the mind. Don't focus on what audience that the game was "intended" for. The greatest part about being an adult is that you can determine what that means. My girlfriend and I still have a blast playing these games together. If they get on you for the game being as old as it is you can simply raise an eyebrow and ask didn't you just get the newest iteration of a sports game, or modern warfare... *insert game franchise*. Games are about separating yourself from this world it shouldn't matter what the content is so long as it alleviates the stress for a little while.
Just a quick side note the people that have the ability to anthropomorphize pokemon have amazing talent not to mention the ones that do some of the elaborate art I've seen in some of your sigs, I am truely envious of that talent.

Emperor Serperior

A Emperor with infinite Speed
Years
There's no need neccesary to bring the subject but if it does so happen then you simply ignore them and try to avoid the particular people who you know they will not advocate Pokemon and if you can, try to discombomulate their minds so they forget what to say and will leave you alone . I call this Hypnosis Barrier

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Hmm.. This is a touchy subject for me and I have avoided answering it until now. Well..when I was younger, my parents weren't that against me into liking Pokemon and bought me all the Pokemon games I wanted. These days, they have ridiculed me for being a Pokefan, saying that it's 'childish' and 'useless'. Yes, I agree that it doesn't serve any benefits for my future like what my family has been going on and on about, but whatever I say, they will always associate Pokemon with children's games. They can't control what I like or dislike! So, what do/will I do? I'll stick to my fandom and ignore what anyone says, not just my parents....end of story. (I'm sorry if I've said anything too....deep or anything; I just needed to get this off my head.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
How do I deal with people that make fun of me for playing Pokemon? I've learned over the years to just ignore them that's all? It's not like there hobbies are any better then mine.

Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2013
i like that you pursue your individuality but to say that anything in anyone's life is useless is odd. people like that scare me, there are plenty of things we do just because we enjoy them if we never did anything that was useless we would work unfulfilling jobs, come home just to sleep and go back to work. I think that in particular is the death of the mind.

Back