• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Cleared text to save space...
That is somewhat what I was describing in my earlier post. I don't know why someone would want to navigate away from RMXP(when it's limitations are very minimal) to a C++ engine. It doesn't make any sense. Any way you look at it, the Nintendo DS has more limitation than a computer. Same perspective goes into the games themselves. A game made using RMXP is bound to be way more powerful in terms of capabilities than one made off of a ROM.

You can do a Google search all you want for a NDS RGSS compiler. All you will find are threads started by newbies that have been quickly shut down because the admins know it's not a piece of cake to build such a thing.
Nice post Luka. But, coding isn't what makes the game. It's how you play it, I look forward to pokemon games with new storylines or new pokemon. I don't even carea bout the maps. He has a simple design and he made the choice of what he wants to do. Even I wanted to make it go on a DS rom. But most people can't do that. At this moment it's more about the storyline.
Uh... where did you get your info there pal?

carmaniac's post basically takes it away here....
No code = No maps = No events = No menus = No game. Just something to think about with what you just said there. Become a coder, and you'll then understand this perspective.
Indeed, next time you start up RMXP, look at the script tool. Observe the countless lines of code that allow even your storyline to be possible. If you wanted a story, then shouldn't you be reading a book?

Years
I don't know why someone would want to navigate away from RMXP(when it's limitations are very minimal) to a C++ engine. It doesn't make any sense.

C++ has less limitations than RMXP, also C++ is more powerful and can be compiled into an exe which you cannot be decompiled back into C++ (or so I've heard), not to mention it's faster, can support 3D without much effort, nearly all devices takes in C++.

With this said, a C++ engine will have even less limitations than RMXP, and can also be free in some cases unlike RMXP. There are a few downsides such as it's slightly more annoying to program with (unless you don't mind adding type definitions for each variable and putting a ; after each line of code).

Triple R

PokéFan Incognito
Years
You guys are saying these things as though the Phoenix Rising team has made no headway in creating their game. I'm pretty sure they're ahead of the game here.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
C++ has less limitations than RMXP, also C++ is more powerful and can be compiled into an exe which you cannot be decompiled back into C++ (or so I've heard), not to mention it's faster, can support 3D without much effort, nearly all devices takes in C++.

With this said, a C++ engine will have even less limitations than RMXP, and can also be free in some cases unlike RMXP. There are a few downsides such as it's slightly more annoying to program with (unless you don't mind adding type definitions for each variable and putting a ; after each line of code).
That's true, but take into consideration how much time it would take to create a new, fully-functional Pokémon engine out of C++. It's not something I'd enjoy doing. And in my eyes, I consider the programming annoyances of C++ a "limitation". If I weren't using RGSS to create games, I'd be developing through Java or Flash. Those support many great games. Think RuneScape, WoW, etc.
You guys are saying these things as though the Phoenix Rising team has made no headway in creating their game. I'm pretty sure they're ahead of the game here.
Not once did I or anyone else here say that the PR team has made no headway. Someone may have mentioned that transitioning from one engine to another would slow progress, but that's about it. Read a few pages back, then understand what we're actually talking about.

Years
That's true, but take into consideration how much time it would take to create a new, fully-functional Pokémon engine out of C++. It's not something I'd enjoy doing.

Yes, I know but in general it is better.

And in my eyes, I consider the programming annoyances of C++ a "limitation".

not a limitation but a downside.

If I weren't using RGSS to create games, I'd be developing through Java or Flash. Those support many great games. Think RuneScape, WoW, etc.

I agree with java or flash as they are good ways to create games.

Also You mean: Think Runescape, Minecraft, WoW, ect. Runescape isn't all that popular anymore, Minecraft + lack of new implements killed most their population. (Yes I know 100k+ online is a lot but it used to be 1+ million users online)

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Also You mean: Think Runescape, Minecraft, WoW, ect. Runescape isn't all that popular anymore, Minecraft + lack of new implements killed most their population. (Yes I know 100k+ online is a lot but it used to be 1+ million users online)
Heheh, that is definitely true. Minecraft and it's amazing utilization of Java... and it comes in a mere 700 KB package.

Anyway, before this goes off-topic, I am just gonna say I think it's kinda pointless to spend so much time developing a new Pokémon engine, when you already have what is needed. Yeah, it may be cool to play PR on a NDS, but PR could also reach a larger audience if it were developed on a computer, not for a DS. Not everyone has a homebrew capable NDS. And the PSP sure as heck can't play NDS ROMs for beans. It's emulating capabilities are just emerging. So, in general, if you're developing it for C++, what is the point if you could just develop using RMXP and allow anyone who has a computer to play it.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Although, if he does make it on the DS, that encourages other developers to do the same. And plus, my computer is old and laggy- and what I'm using right now is an Acer netbook- so It may be better to have it on the DS to those who may not be able to support the file on their computer.

Triple R

PokéFan Incognito
Years
Although, if he does make it on the DS, that encourages other developers to do the same. And plus, my computer is old and laggy- and what I'm using right now is an Acer netbook- so It may be better to have it on the DS to those who may not be able to support the file on their computer.
I'm thinking sort of along these lines.
Lol, RuneScape's not dead. Not yet, anyway.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
Alright, if you only own a Netbook, then you really shouldn't be looking at RMXP games in the first place. Also, I understand that your other computer may be old and laggy, but in that case you should invest in upgrades or a new computer altogether. I got an RMXP game to run on Windows 98. And the overall population of Netbook users may be large, but WAY larger with people who own actual PCs.

Again, not everyone owns a homebrew capable NDS, or wants to, which could play PR. Same goes for Netbooks. Not everyone owns a Netbook.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Alright, if you only own a Netbook, then you really shouldn't be looking at RMXP games in the first place. Also, I understand that your other computer may be old and laggy, but in that case you should invest in upgrades or a new computer altogether. I got an RMXP game to run on Windows 98. And the overall population of Netbook users may be large, but WAY larger with people who own actual PCs.

Again, not everyone owns a homebrew capable NDS, or wants to, which could play PR. Same goes for Netbooks. Not everyone owns a Netbook.
I am just going to say that there are various emulators capable of playing .nds games on computers. Heck, they even exist for Android.

Skyy

Just Sky ( :
Years
I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this. Whether you play it on RMXP or the DS, you're going to get to play it one way or another.

Personally, I'd much rather have it on the DS so I can play it whenever I wanted to instead of having to play it on the PC. Specially when other people use the PC.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years

Fine, fine. And looking at RMXP games is something I'm looking at for fun, just browsing so that by the time I do have the funds to support a new computer, I know what games to look for. Besides, it's interesting to see what people are making. And at this point, if he is making it for the DS, I might as well take a look.

Anyhow, let's move on, shall we? What do we hope to gain or see out of Pheonix Rising that hasn't been said yet?

Just a conversation topic so that we can ease out of this one.

Mr. Mammoth

One cool snowman
Years
Wow, this is one great-looking game you have here Phoenix Rising Team! These are actually the kinds of things that make me so happy to be a part of the Pokémon fandom. I mean, people expressing their love for a video-game franchise by making their own little addition to it? That almost brings a tear to my eye. I also enjoy the little changes here and there, for example changing the Gym-Leaders to "Oracles" and involving a seemingly more serious storyline than what we're used to getting from official Pokémon-games. I also really enjoy innovative Poké-Strap item. It's clear that much effort has gone into this game in terms of planning it out and spriting and whatnot. Now that I think about it, I almost get a little jealous over the fact people are able to make this, while I myself wouldn't be able to do so.

But that's a bit irrelevant to the subject, no? In any case, I really look forward to this game and I wish you all the best of luck and stuff on releasing it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Where on earth has this discussion gone to lol. Anyway, a screenshot. I'm running through just updating some parts I'm not happy with. This is from Nocturne Town, as I quite disliked the houses there.

update_by_gavinforpresident-d5j30aj.png

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years
Where on earth has this discussion gone to lol. Anyway, a screenshot. I'm running through just updating some parts I'm not happy with. This is from Nocturne Town, as I quite disliked the houses there.

update_by_gavinforpresident-d5j30aj.png

The cliffs are a bit strange... Maybe when I play through it in person it won't seem so strange anymore. Anyway, the screenshot overall looks great! Keep it up!

Triple R

PokéFan Incognito
Years
I am slowly and surely falling in love with this work-in-progress fangame.

I might not know a thing about game designing, but I feel compelled to help somehow.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I don't see why people are making such a big deal out of this. Whether you play it on RMXP or the DS, you're going to get to play it one way or another.

Personally, I'd much rather have it on the DS so I can play it whenever I wanted to instead of having to play it on the PC. Specially when other people use the PC.

More people have access to a PC then they do to an NDS with homebrew flashcarts. If people were to play this using emulators, what would be the point? When you could provide a unique gaming experience on the PC.

BlorkGlork

Better Starter. Better Game.
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2012
Hello, I am new to this site. Honestly I have been looking through this form
for few hours. :) It is a gorgeous game. and the story is Great(Not like a
hacks,)it feels original(Guess it is since it hasn't been done before)
Characters Are Awesome, Lots of variety of Pokemon from other region's,
Great Sprite's and Graphics,
And sweet never been done BEFORE Features. But there is one thing I noticed,
there has been controversy(hope I spelled that right) on the POKEMON
starters for this game. Some have mentioned to have normal Pokemon that
evolve when leveling up, others Just don't like the starters cause of the
feel/look, and some feel that evolving by stone is to restricted. So I have been
thinking for awhile now about what are the perfect Pokemon starter's, And I
think I have found what is the most perfect [starter] for this game.

-Eevee-

I think Eevee is absolutely the most perfect Pokemon starter. Here are my reason's why......

1. From what I know Eevee has NEVER been used as a starter.
2. It Has 7 different Evolution's(Huge variety).
3. 4 of them use Stone's to Evolve.
.Vaporeon-Water Stone.
.Jolteon-Thunder Stone.
.Flareon-Fire Stone.
.Leafeon-Leaf stone(I think Leafeon evolves at moss rock, But it can be changed to leaf stone)

4. 4 of them evolve from stone's. You said that it was important to have the starters evolve from a stone.
5. It give's the players a variety of choice's as to whether evolve by stone or stats.
6. 7 different types to choose from. Water, Electric, Fire, Grass, Psychic, Dark, Ice.
7. Eevee is a cute Pokemon, That has Feel and Look's nice.
8. Goes along with the theme of the story(The stone part)

"The great stones of old, nine believed to be stones of evolutionary power;
Fire, Water, Grass,Thunder, Sun, Bright, Dusk, Dawn and Moon. One,
known to be much more rare. With a single purpose; to raise a Pokemon
from the very ashes it crumbled into, known as the Stone of Rebirth. These
stones are to be of unlimited value in Hawthorne, but are seldom held by
ordinary people."

9. Eevee is the ONLY Pokemon that evolves from 4 different type's of stones.

Once Again I think Eevee is the best choice for the starter of this game. It
makes sense with the stones and all.

Here are some Pictures.

images

images

images

images

GREAT GAME NEVER GIVE UP!!!:classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back