• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
erm i started colosseum again, i cannot seem to catch yanma, i keep knocking it out >.<
i want another ho-oh for when i get emerald....
i may play XD a third time for diamond /pearl =P
lol zootster you put ryans name on MM's quote =P
thug zoot said:
I can't think of any I know of. But even if you could find one you'd have to know your Pokemon's IVs which you can't figure out without EVs. I'd say just trade the Pokemon to emerald and give it a ton of EV decreasing berries and then EV train it all over again. That's what I'm gonna do with my two shinies (even though they have horrible natures :( )
yea i may do that with just my shinies... but the only one i gotta do it with is pidgeot, i only raised the others by 1 level
charm doesnt do much to my pokemon ;D
oh zootster if you want you can have these two ...
pichu2.gif

Last edited:

Rokusho

sci fi nut
Years
I must ask, can i please join.
Say yes PM me with your answer.
I have 3 shines blue elektrike, green striped wingull, brown manectric

Zootster

Awesome Guy Extrordinaire
Years
PokeMunna said:
lol zootster you put ryans name on MM's quote =P
lol that was dumb XD. Just seeing that Santa Claus avatar made me think it was ryan for some reason. Did he used to have a Santa Claus avy or am I just crazy :P

LOL those Pichu are friggin awesome!!! *goes to edit other post and sig*

kool dude

koolest there is :rambo:
Years
hi there. im training my scizor while looking for shinies.it was lvl 25 when i started, now it is lvl 37. (i hope to find machop like last time :))

Years
Yaay, I just flunked an exam, and have another in two days, so no hunting until the end of the week when finals are through. (and I buy Emerald! XD)

Zootster said:
If you have a Wobba wiith Encore then you don't need to guess:
Encore
Safegaurd
Mirror Coat
Counter

This thing is the most annoying thing in the game XD
And.. that's the exact set I posted! XD

flamemaster said:
I must ask, can i please join.
Say yes PM me with your answer.
I have 3 shines blue elektrike, green striped wingull, brown manectric
You're in. Anyone can join so long as they list all shinies and are honest and non-cheating when it comes to shiny matters. We don't do any of that silly PM stuff to accept members.

You say you have both an Electrike and a Manectric. Are they seperate, or are you just doing a Pok?dex-style listing? Here, we only list owned shinies, though you still ought to explain their history for SGM's dex. (If you do own duplicate shinies, I feel your pain!)

Zootster said:
lol that was dumb XD. Just seeing that Santa Claus avatar made me think it was ryan for some reason. Did he used to have a Santa Claus avy or am I just crazy :P
The closest I can recall was that crazy kid with the DDR stuff. *brings back memories of early SHC-age* *aww* Other than that, I don't ever recall him using anything photographic.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 15, 2012
For a while I had a series of movie characters. I had a kinda reddish/maroon colored one of Dumbledore. Maybe that's what you were thinking? Red hat, white beard, glasses, 100% awesome... It'd be a foreseeable mistake.

Years
*slaps self* How could I have forgotten that?! That would make sense...

I invite any new members (are there any?) to the Card Request Thread, where they can get authentic SHC cards! (I need to mention this ever so often to make sure people are aware of it.)

Tomorrow's exam is Probability and Statistics. Let's hope all those shiny hunting statistical calculations have payed off! If you spend n turns on a shiny hunt, the probability distribution of finding x number of shinies is very close to a Poisson distribution: (((n/8192)^x)(e^-(n/8192)))/x!

(The x! is x factorial, not an exclamation point! There's no need for the gamma function, since you can't catch half a shiny.. ;))

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
MetalMario said:
Tomorrow's exam is Probability and Statistics. Let's hope all those shiny hunting statistical calculations have payed off! If you spend n turns on a shiny hunt, the probability distribution of finding x number of shinies is very close to a Poisson distribution: (((n/8192)^x)(e^-(n/8192)))/x!

(The x! is x factorial, not an exclamation point! There's no need for the gamma function, since you can't catch half a shiny.. ;))
w00t i completely understood that.... kinda..... i did maths as....... taking gap year ^.^
khenny way good luck with your exams....
i havent played pokemon in a while so which is the variable that shows your on and off peak

Years
Pok?-Munna said:
i havent played pokemon in a while so which is the variable that shows your on and off peak
What you say? I don't understand what you're asking!

BTW, if you hold x (number of shinies seen) as a constant and take n as the parameter, you get the odds that you'll have exactly x shinies after n turns. It follows that the marginal distribution of n yields our familiar distribution describing the likelyhood of seeing at least one shiny, whose median is 5678 and whose mean is 8192. Of course, this is only approximate. The actual distribution is simply 1-(8191/8192)^n.

Edit: You can subtract the Poisson distribution describing the likelyhood of seeing exactly one shiny from this to get the distribution of seeing at least two shinies, and so on to find how long you can expect to be at it to find any given number of shinies. (Hey, it just hit me! We now can actually assign a number to the likelyhood of pkmaster's claims!! w00t! (Edit2: And by the central limit theorem (200 shinies is more than enough for this to apply), we can assign an error bound to this (number of turns for her claims to be accurate). (ie. there's a 99.99997% chance you're a liar n00b) XD))

Last edited:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
wow those are high odds =P
i meant have you taken into fact the chance of getting it at any period of time, like when would be the best time to try =P
and i didnt understand that stuff.......
MM the math geek! said:
(((n/8192)^x)(e^-(n/8192)))/x!
this i sorta understood because of a little as maths =P

Years
Pok?-Munna said:
wow those are high odds =P
i meant have you taken into fact the chance of getting it at any period of time, like when would be the best time to try =P
It makes no difference when you hunt; the odds per turn are always 1/8192. Jeez, even the newbies know that! ;) I'm just trying to identify the odds of finding a particular number (or range of numbers) of shinies in a certain period of time. This is helpful for people engaging on long hunts looking for more than one shiny, and those curious how many turns it'll take them to surpass LDD/Aaryn in terms of shinies owned. (and the 99.999997% wasn't an actual calculation. (though I think it's prolly in the right ballpark) I'd have to take a careful look at the thread to see (a) how many shinies pkmaster claimed to own and (b) how long she claimed to be hunting for (ie. since 1994 XD).)

Lady Demoonica Darkmoon

Shiny Hunters Club Co-Owner
Years
MetalMario said:
This is helpful for people engaging on long hunts looking for more than one shiny, and those curious how many turns it'll take them to surpass LDD/Aaryn in terms of shinies owned.

Yes but it can't help them surpass my shiny count, because you can't factor in the fact that I'm more than likely shiny hunting also.

V(^_^);V

LOL

*sighs* AND still no shiny ABSOL!

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
Wow i just realised i havent posted in quite a while, well ive been busy, ive got exams coming up in January so ive got the holidays to get prepared for them.

I still occationaly hunt for the ol' shinys, at the moment im hatching Stantler for a Timid nature, so maybe one of them will be shiny? doubt it though.

So have i missed anything of major importance?

Shiny Shuckle

Shiny Hunter
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2007
still no shiny toto i have some eggs that i think are bagon that i am going to hatch once i get toto then go to the safari zone to get some johtos then breed to level 5 and start my emerald johto journey

Years
Gaaah! Today on the bus, I actually saw someone else with a Pok?mon game and Wireless Adapter. It was a little girl with a Leaf Green cart. I almost had the opportunity to pwn her, but I didn't have my WA handy... T_T

I doubt I would have had the time, anyway, since I was only on for 5 stops through the downtown. I'll keep my WA handy just in case the chance presents itself again. Finding real people to trade/battle with is not unlike shiny hunting, and this case would be not unlike being caught without any Pok?balls when a shiny shows up. It won't happen again! XD

Only one exam left, which is on Monday: Electrical circuit theory. 'Twould be nice if I actually knew what a phasor is (don't say a raygun from Star Trek, XD), and how to calculate complex/reactive power... (,>‸<,)

Lady Demoonica Darkmoon said:
Yes but it can't help them surpass my shiny count, because you can't factor in the fact that I'm more than likely shiny hunting also.

V(^_^);V

LOL

*sighs* AND still no shiny ABSOL!
Your dedication impresses me. Despite receiving bunches of dupe shinies (how many, was it?), you keep at that one Absol hunt. You're almost inspiring me to revive my Seviper hunt!

Shiny Meganium said:
Hi. May I join the club? I own a shiny Raticate on my Fire red, by the way.
I thought you already were a member... o.o
Sure you can join, provided you list all your shinies (if there are any besides Raticate). I attest that I will be the first (active) in this club to own a shiny Meganium, however. ;) The hunt begins in not such a long while! (a month or so; I gotta get me a Zangoose first, however...)

Lady Demoonica Darkmoon

Shiny Hunters Club Co-Owner
Years
MetalMario said:
Your dedication impresses me. Despite receiving bunches of dupe shinies (how many, was it?), you keep at that one Absol hunt. You're almost inspiring me to revive my Seviper hunt!
Of course you should hunt Shiny Seviper! As for my duplicate shinys: 3 Zigzagoon (2 were from the berry update... so only one was found ingame) and 2 Oddish...
As long as I never see another shiny Zigzagoon I'll be happy, even if I find more shiny Oddish! (I could keep one as an Oddish and let the other be a Gloom before wishing to never see any ever again. LOL) That's why I'm hunting the Absol in Emerald... more of a chance it's a Poochyena or Mightyena than Zigzagoon or Linoone.
By the way, I made an estimate at how many PKMN I've seen in Emerald after finding the shiny Oddish. Aprox. 21 PKMN in every 10 min. time frame... so It's been over 9,000. I'm now at 230 hours on Emerald.
Wish me luck!

Lord Jaws

The Lovable Tramp
Years
Hey everyone. Im sort of back. I couldnt sleep last night so I stuck FireRed in my DS and starting Chansey hunting again (dont ask how I remembered my last activity after not playing for so long. :D). I have mild interest in current gen pokemon again, so I will be taking mild interest in PC again. Huzzah.

P.S.- Merry Xmas to all. Lets all get a shiny for Xmas, eh Ryan?

Years
Hooray! Jaws is back! And I didn't pester him, I swear!

My last exam is tomorrow, so after that, I'll be able to hunt without interruption! This is also when I'll get Emerald.

Edit:
Lord Jaws said:
P.S.- Merry Xmas to all. Lets all get a shiny for Xmas, eh Ryan?
Ya.. about that.. Considering it normally takes me like 3 months/200 hours at least to find a shiny, this seems reasonable. (as in not) I'll look; possibly try for that b1tch, Seviper again, but I wouldn't expect anything in a period as teensy as a week. I'd be glad to see you get a new shiny, so I can make you a SHC card 2.0! XD

Edit2: Weird... I picked up my Sapphire and started a little hunting in the Seviper patch, and I'm seeing almost nothing but Sevipers... Must be a sign... ;)

Last edited:
Back