• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    First off, there's nothing to say that nobody in the Pokemon community knows how to 3D model. There's not much to indicate that. And considering people have already started making model hacks for Pokemon XY/ORAS, this isn't really a drawback.
    I did say "approximately"—I don't doubt some people do but every indication suggests they're a distinct minority. You can start making bad 2D art in Paint with very little effort, but I've not seen anyone trying to make 3D modelling more accessible.

Second, citra. It works quite well nowadays. Not sure if XY works on it yet, but it's an option.
    Citra's Github page said:
    Citra only emulates a subset of 3DS hardware, and therefore is generally only useful for running/debugging homebrew applications. At this time, Citra is even able to boot several commercial games! Most of these do not run to a playable state
    I am relatively unconvinced.

And third, you can't cripple your 3DS in an attempt to load homebrew. All of the methods that allow you to do so are 100% safe and would take actual effort to harm your 3DS. HANS, the means for playing hacks on your 3DS, is perfectly safe as well.
    I didn't say "harm", I said "cripple". New releases generally require that your 3DS has up-to-date firmware, and to my knowledge homebrew requires outdated firmware because patches fix the arbitrary-code-execution exploits it uses.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'd say that's pretty true of our community? Unless there's some underground hacking team working around here :c.
    Well it's more that I'm saying there isn't really much to indicate that much. We have a lot of people here with a lot of diverse interests- but that doesn't really matter, I guess. You're definitely right in that there's probably not a lot of people with 3D modeling knowledge.

But I'd say that there's still a lot that could be done with an XY/ORAS hack otherwise. I don't really think it's one of the reasons we don't hack gen 6, though.

I did say "approximately"—I don't doubt some people do but every indication suggests they're a distinct minority. You can start making bad 2D art in Paint with very little effort, but I've not seen anyone trying to make 3D modelling more accessible.

I am relatively unconvinced.

I didn't say "harm", I said "cripple". New releases generally require that your 3DS has up-to-date firmware, and to my knowledge homebrew requires outdated firmware because patches fix the arbitrary-code-execution exploits it uses.
    If you're unconvinced by Citra, look up vids. Read the GBAtemp thread. The evidence is there, and it's a lot better for you to see than for me to tell you.

As for homebrew, HANS. Solves the "update firmware problem".

And as for the 3D models, kinda answered that. 's not exactly holding us back because there's still a lot we can do regardless.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    If you're unconvinced by Citra, look up vids. Read the GBAtemp thread. The evidence is there, and it's a lot better for you to see than for me to tell you.
    I checked GBAtemp and they said they don't support CROs, so Pokémon doesn't work at all. I remain relatively unconvinced. (This is an increasingly academic exercise for me. Even if it worked flawlessly I wouldn't be able to use it; my computer is too slow to emulate the DS, let alone the 3DS.)

As for homebrew, HANS. Solves the "update firmware problem".
    I can find absolutely no information about this aside from confirmation it exists. How do you install it? How does it avoid being torpedoed by patch after patch aimed at stopping people executing arbitrary code without having coughed up the funds to become a registered developer?

And as for the 3D models, kinda answered that. 's not exactly holding us back because there's still a lot we can do regardless.
    At this point we're into the realm of "what do you want to see"—I'm not excited by the prospect of 721 hacks or Drayano-style difficulty hacks, which would seem to be all you could do without touching a 3D model.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I'd say a more important reason we don't hack gen 6 (or even 4/5) is just the increased difficulty. Gen 3 hacking is easy to get into, you don't even need knowledge of basics like hex editing thanks to the framework laid out for us by old hackers years ago. Any sort of model editing is infinitely more difficult than than just simple sprites and tiles, which limits our ability to edit maps and create new landscapes. the DS/3DS uses complicated file systems which you actually have to learn to be able to extensively hack the games. The GBA has emulators on everything, which gives it a lot more accessibility (a lot of people use their phones for playing hacks). There are 10 years+ of research behind the GBA games. I just don't think the positives, of which there are barely any, outweigh the negatives. It would take years for DS/3DS to catch up to GBA, and that's assuming everyone just decides to switch for some unknown reason.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I can find absolutely no information about this aside from confirmation it exists. How do you install it? How does it avoid being torpedoed by patch after patch aimed at stopping people executing arbitrary code without having coughed up the funds to become a registered developer?

At this point we're into the realm of "what do you want to see"—I'm not excited by the prospect of 721 hacks or Drayano-style difficulty hacks, which would seem to be all you could do without touching a 3D model.
    I'll certainly agree that that's pretty much all we can do with hacking at this point, but it's not so much that we aren't capable of delving deeper so much as that we just haven't due to a general lack of interest (as it stands) and that the emulation and ease of downloading the games just isn't all that convenient. This could change and we could delve into scripting and like. Would we anytime soon? Probably not, especially considering that what is asked of the hacker for something like this might not appeal to/might scare away the many potential Pokemon hackers that exist today. After all, the GBA Pokemon games have very easy entry points. So the possibility's there, but it probably wouldn't be these hackers that touch them.

As for HANS, there's no official thread for it because Smea basically just released it in the Homebrew Starter Pack for the homebrew launcher. No installation, really, and it can't really be affected by patches, pretty much the only thing that managed to get around it once was the eshop, due to how it works (though I believe that's been resolved). He did a video, though, that documents its usage. In the past I used it to play...Little Battler's Experience? That or Yo-Kai Watch, whichever required an update and was released after HANS.

I just don't think the positives, of which there are barely any, outweigh the negatives. It would take years for DS/3DS to catch up to GBA, and that's assuming everyone just decides to switch for some unknown reason.
    I agree with you on the point that Pokemon GBA's more attractive because it's easier to get into (well, easier all around, really) and we've got years upon years of experience. This, though...there's a lot of potential as far as Gen 6- or even Gen4/5 go. Potential that literally cannot be tapped into on the GBA or, more specifically, on the Pokemon games on the GBA. As astounding as it is, the things people have been able to do and what we know about the games, I wouldn't say that the positives for the post-GBA titles are minute in any way, especially since we don't really know the extent to which they can be manipulated.

I'm not saying we should all jump ship and hack those, though- not at all. Said this above, but the people who'll be hacking Gen 6 will not be the same people hacking Gen 3, and it's not all too dissimilar from the split between the Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 hackers. I mean, the hacking landscapes and obstacles for 3-6 and 1/2-3 are completely different so I wouldn't say they're the same, just that they have similarities in terms of who hacks what.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Would it be possible/a good idea to have an art resource forum in the ROM hacking section? Threads like Chaos Rush and MrDollSteak's DS-style Pok?mon sprite resources are currently in Art and Design, but it seems to me that because that forum is for art more generally it's not as well-suited as it could be to things which the author wants to be used in ROM hacks?we have colour depth and resolution limits which other artists might not want to adhere to, for one thing.

(It's a pipe dream, but it'd be nice if the ROM hack art resource forum were held to a slightly higher standard in terms of quality control?I'm in the market for 64x64 trainer sprites because apparently all the research into programmatically modifying pixel art goes into filters to make it look like someone drew on a pane of glass with lipstick rather than how to scale an indexed sprite down from 80x80 to 64x64, a little tired of abandoned attempts at sprite resources in Art and Design whose TC accepted anyone's submissions however good or bad they were and yet only ended up with a handful.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Would it be possible/a good idea to have an art resource forum in the ROM hacking section? Threads like Chaos Rush and MrDollSteak's DS-style Pok?mon sprite resources are currently in Art and Design, but it seems to me that because that forum is for art more generally it's not as well-suited as it could be to things which the author wants to be used in ROM hacks?we have colour depth and resolution limits which other artists might not want to adhere to, for one thing.

(It's a pipe dream, but it'd be nice if the ROM hack art resource forum were held to a slightly higher standard in terms of quality control?I'm in the market for 64x64 trainer sprites because apparently all the research into programmatically modifying pixel art goes into filters to make it look like someone drew on a pane of glass with lipstick rather than how to scale an indexed sprite down from 80x80 to 64x64, a little tired of abandoned attempts at sprite resources in Art and Design whose TC accepted anyone's submissions however good or bad they were and yet only ended up with a handful.)
    That would probably fit in the Tools, Tutorials, and Resources section. I don't think an art resources forum would be active enough to justify being it's own entity. If I remember correctly Chaos Rush's 64x64 sprite resouce actually used to be in the hacking section, it got moved for some reason.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019

Citra now just barely functions in-game for X/Y and OR/AS. I hope they can make progress towards a playable (albeit silent right now) version of the game later in the year.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Is it just me or do you guys think that Trainer Tips are a nice little addition that gets ignored too much? I just noticed that I've never once added them in my hack. Woah.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • Is it just me or do you guys think that Trainer Tips are a nice little addition that gets ignored too much? I just noticed that I've never once added them in my hack. Woah.

Even though they're hacks and you can argue "btut no bod e ned lern pokmon!?", it's like, why not? Interesting little things to read

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Is it just me or do you guys think that Trainer Tips are a nice little addition that gets ignored too much? I just noticed that I've never once added them in my hack. Woah.

I'm just keeping Fire Red's default ones. I like the tile used for the Trainer Tips, so I put them around here and there. Maybe you could motivate players to actually find all the Trainer Tips signs by having a reward for it.

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • I'm just keeping Fire Red's default ones. I like the tile used for the Trainer Tips, so I put them around here and there. Maybe you could motivate players to actually find all the Trainer Tips signs by having a reward for it.
    RftA_Ema_Skye_Taking_Notes_2.gif

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • One thing to do is make is so that the player actually has a reason to check them. Because if a player thinks that the Trainer Tips are going to tell them something they already know (which is usually the case), they'll just avoid 'em.

Instead, one might consider making them useful. So, say, if your hack has a new feature, that's one way to promote it. If there's a rare Pokemon or item in the area, hint at it with a Trainer Tip. Because, really, if it's just the standard stuff, there's no reason to have it; it'd just be filler. So if you're going to have 'em, make the subject matter fun or interesting.

I'm always forgetting about placing Trainer Tips signs. I try my best to make them useful for supposed beginners as well as people who are looking for more hack region-specific information. I like to think of them as the hint owls in Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons and it makes them easier to place and write for. Fortunately or unfortunately, I think you could go without Trainer Tips signs if you really wanted to and not many people would notice their absence.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    As most of us know, RSE have internal batteries that allow for a real time clock. My question is how this works in terms of emulators. Using GBA4IOS, the clock appeared to be kept even with the app/ my phone turned off. At first I thought the app was grabbing the time from my phone, but to my surprise, even when I set the clock incorrectly at the start of the game, it ticked up and never "corrected" to the phone's time. I then thought that perhaps the save file types were different, much like how GSC use the .rtcsav, but it is actually the same type of save file that FR and LG use. I always thought that Emerald could keep time with an internal battery independent of the ROM, so how exactly is it being kept on my phone?

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    How do i recruit rom hack experts? I need people who are good at coding and patching. I wanted to make a gba rom hack of emerald with custom sprites and pokemon cries as a main feature plus a different story line. everyone who contributes gets to be featured as a character in the game! :D

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • How do i recruit rom hack experts? I need people who are good at coding and patching. I wanted to make a gba rom hack of emerald with custom sprites and pokemon cries as a main feature plus a different story line. everyone who contributes gets to be featured as a character in the game! :D

You could study up on rom hacking and become an expert yourself.

Or you could offer cash. People like money.

Kimonas

%string not found
    Years
  • I'd like to purchase a flash card for my gba. After some research on google and ebay my two main options are these:

1. EZ Flash IV -> 40 Euro + 10 shipping
    2. This Chinese Flash card -> 18 Euro + Free Shipping

I'm leaning towards the second one due to its low price. Has anyone tried one of these? Are there any possible side effects ,like no saving, with the second one or should I just go for it?

I know that the EZ Flash has better quality, but if the differences are not significant I don't mind buying the later one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'd like to purchase a flash card for my gba. After some research on google and ebay my two main options are these:

1. EZ Flash IV -> 40 Euro + 10 shipping
    2. This Chinese Flash card -> 18 Euro + Free Shipping

I'm leaning towards the second one due to its low price. Has anyone tried one of these? Are there any possible side effects ,like no saving, with the second one or should I just go for it?

I know that the EZ Flash has better quality, but if the differences are not significant I don't mind buying the later one.

I think they're both a bit expensive for what you're getting but I guess that's expected since the GBA is old. As for the Chinese one, does your PC have a LPT port? Putting your files in a microSD is more convenient than having to connect your GBA to your PC every time, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

If you're actually going to use it a lot, I suggest going for the EZ Flash one.

Kimonas

%string not found
    Years
  • I think they're both a bit expensive for what you're getting but I guess that's expected since the GBA is old. As for the Chinese one, does your PC have a LPT port? Putting your files in a microSD is more convenient than having to connect your GBA to your PC every time, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money.

If you're actually going to use it a lot, I suggest going for the EZ Flash one.

In the end I'll go for this one. It has SD support and is also cheap. Although I might have issues ordering it since its from China but its worth the shot. Thanks for the advice and info. If it wasn't for it, I would have ordered the second one without actually having a LTP port :P

Back