• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where should I start? Learning competitive play for Pokemon SwSh

Speedy-Eevee

Speedy-Eevee
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 16, 2020
    Hello I am a new member here =) I want to learn the best way of getting into competitive play. I have IV bred Pokémon before in Ultra Sun and Y, I stumbled in EV training however =/ I wasn't doing it right as EV points were not always going where I wanted them to.
    I also want to learn about Pokémon I can use. I want a balance of being able to win but also using Pokémon I like =)
    There are so many YouTube videos it gets confusing as people do things differently.
    Any help guys ? I am currently playing Pokémon Shield and Let's Go Eevee

Thanks for looking and more thanks for replies

Attachments

• 3c79d3b83ce96f691a6a5d7bce4fc778.png
      3c79d3b83ce96f691a6a5d7bce4fc778.png
      74.3 KB · Views: 2

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Are you looking to do single battles or double battles? The two have different metas, so that's an important thing.

For EV training, it helps to look up what Pokemon give what EV and how many (as it varies from 1-3), then deliberately fight that one over and over again, keeping track of how many EVs you've accumulated, until you have what you need. The vitamin bottles also help, they give 10 EVs per item.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    EV training In Sw/Sh is the easiest its ever been(and thank god for that.) Its done the same way to raid den exploit is done. Its by turning your switch a day forward in system settings while in local mode, searching for other people for any raid den while your pokes are at poke jobs. They stack with power items and pokerus to instantly EV yours mons.

Sure, you can strike a balance of using pokes you like and competitive pokes. Depending on what exactly your favorites are however, might configure your team to sort of be centered around them to potentially work. Anythings possible however, of course. I just wouldn't get extreme high hopes for calibur of opponents having the same originality, just today testing some pokes in casual battle it was pretty endless Togekiss/Gyarados/Aegislash/Hydreigon esque kind of teams. Not that I have an issue with that personally, but its kind of what you should expect having an "original" team, and prepare yourself accordingly.

So you can kind of strike two birds with one stone with learning how competitive pokemon works, while also seeing where certain mons stand using the strategy pokedex found here(NOTE: their standard OU sets exclude Dynamax amongst other things, if you want ingame sets its best to check battle spot singles sets for VGC 3v3 singles.)

https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/pokemon/

Simply find the mons that you like, check their recommended sets, and go from there. I didn't say "copy" the sets either. Whatever you find that potentially works best for you and your team, go ahead and try it out. The best way to learn is through experience after all. So grab 6 pokes, and just get playing!

Back