• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Does anyone know of a simple way to change the intro with Professor Oak such that instead of being asked for the Rival's name and being asked if I'm sure and then showing the textbox after that where it says, "Now I remember, etc." I would just be able to show the picture of the rival, introduce him with a prescribed name and then skip those parts with naming him and the following text until it goes into the "Journey about to unfold" bit? If I need to clarify let me know, thanks.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2016
I'm trying to do something that I assume will be very complex; pokemon have new names/ appearances/ moves ect, moves will be sometimes duplicated with their stats, effects and appearances changed, a totally new map (preferably with custom drawn squares), my own placed trainers with their own pokemon, a few different pokemon leagues, ect.

I understand this will likely be very very difficult and I'm very new to this stuff, so where would you recommend I go to learn the basics, and beyond? I want to know where to go to become a Pokemon master ;D

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
Took me a while, but I found them! They aren't conpressed graphics and therefore are not found in Un-lz. However, if you open up Tile Molester, they can be found at the offset 0x3B5AB8.

Wow thank you very much. I try :)

EDIT: Ok, i have a problem: i've opened vba for exporting palette. So i go in my trainer card with at least one medal, go to Tools->Palette Viewer->Save Obj and than press on Save.

After, in TM, i go to Palette->Import->Another file and i nav to the folder where there is a .pal file. The navigator of TM don't show me this file. If i write in the filename box manually obj.pal, TM doesn't say me "The file is not found", but the palette it load is completely gray.

Any help?

thanks a lot

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
In my process of adding new moves to my Ruby hack, I still have one problem:

How would I go about giving these moves their own descriptions? :/

Aren't descriptions point able in PGE? I believe so, so just write up the description in XSE using only \n and compile it (look at other move descriptions to see the character limit) then type the offset in in PGE as the description pointer.

Will look like this:

#Dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
= Hey, this is my new\nattck description!

I'm assuming that if you're using PGE, you've edited the .ini for your new banks you needed to make to expand.

It works for allowing you to see the map, but you have to do some specific event for the little icon that lets you toggle between the maps to show up.

Also I'm not totally sure how to edit which map a location shows up in (meaning which map it defaults to showing when you use the town map item). Is there a way to edit this or is it hard-coded which maps go where into the ROM and we have to edit around that?

Don't know about the second one, but the first is just flags. Sorry that I was confused with what you wanted, I haven't used the Town Map in a while. Anyway, the flag for the 2nd set of island is 0x846. I'll find the other one and post it later today.

I'm trying to do something that I assume will be very complex; pokemon have new names/ appearances/ moves ect, moves will be sometimes duplicated with their stats, effects and appearances changed, a totally new map (preferably with custom drawn squares), my own placed trainers with their own pokemon, a few different pokemon leagues, ect.

I understand this will likely be very very difficult and I'm very new to this stuff, so where would you recommend I go to learn the basics, and beyond? I want to know where to go to become a Pokemon master ;D

Youtube and the tutorials section my friend, that and just plain experimenting is how I learned. Also, when you get pretty good, the research and development section can have a lot to offer too. Move animations will be tough, but there is quite a bit documented on a thread by Chaos Rush, just so you know. Good Luck!

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Aren't descriptions point able in PGE? I believe so, so just write up the description in XSE using only \n and compile it (look at other move descriptions to see the character limit) then type the offset in in PGE as the description pointer.

Will look like this:

#Dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
= Hey, this is my new\nattck description!

I'm assuming that if you're using PGE, you've edited the .ini for your new banks you needed to make to expand.

Yeah, this is what I did a while back, and ended up going past the character limit for each line, and they all ended up looking funny. xD

I'll take a look at line limits and try again. And yes, the .ini has been edited to fit my attacks and stuff. Thanks man!

karatekid552

Years
Yeah, this is what I did a while back, and ended up going past the character limit for each line, and they all ended up looking funny. xD

I'll take a look at line limits and try again. And yes, the .ini has been edited to fit my attacks and stuff. Thanks man!

Your welcome, I just looked quick and it appears the character limits for Ruby is about 26 and in FireRed it is about 19. You have two lines to work with in Ruby and four in FireRed. I believe that the characters are not fixed (example 8 "D"'s will take up more room than 8 "I"'s) so watch out for that as it will change you limit.

Also, all lines are seperated by \n, no \l or \p here.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
When I insert saved maps on Advance Map that I've made in the past, it'll save just fine, but then when I try to go to the next area (from Pallet Town to Route 1) the border block from Pallet is cutting off the path with trees that I can't get past, but then when I check the connections, it looks perfectly fine. Can someone help me out?

karatekid552

Years
Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

I'm looking to isolate how FireRed makes the "previously on your quest" in black and white. This way, we could use it in other things from making flashbacks to making a whole hack about restoring color. How would I go about trying to do that?

I know that there are several special commands that it uses to make the "previously on your quest", but I haven't been able to find where it is in the rom by searching for them. Any help is welcome, even if it's just a guess.

When I insert saved maps on Advance Map that I've made in the past, it'll save just fine, but then when I try to go to the next area (from Pallet Town to Route 1) the border block from Pallet is cutting off the path with trees that I can't get past, but then when I check the connections, it looks perfectly fine. Can someone help me out?

I've had this problem before once or twice, never quite figured out what caused it, but I ended up just creating a new map bank and transfering those maps into there and it worked fine.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm looking to isolate how FireRed makes the "previously on your quest" in black and white. This way, we could use it in other things from making flashbacks to making a whole hack about restoring color. How would I go about trying to do that?

I know that there are several special commands that it uses to make the "previously on your quest", but I haven't been able to find where it is in the rom by searching for them. Any help is welcome, even if it's just a guess.

We already know how to change the overworld palettes into a greyscale or sepia configuration so if you're looking for how to do that then the beginning of this tutorial will be very useful.

karatekid552

Years
We already know how to change the overworld palettes into a greyscale or sepia configuration so if you're looking for how to do that then the beginning of this tutorial will be very useful.

I have been searching everywhere for "monochrome", "black and white" and so on, but it never crossed my mind to search for greyscale. Thank you so much Dr. Fuji!

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017

I've had this problem before once or twice, never quite figured out what caused it, but I ended up just creating a new map bank and transfering those maps into there and it worked fine.
Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
Right. I know that there is a patch somewhere for Emerald that makes all the Pokemon names (and possibly moves and abilities, I don't remember all that well) all in titlecase (so Pikachu instead of PIKACHU). I cannot find it again.

Does anyone have any idea where it might have hidden itself?

Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

karatekid552

Years
Would I have to do that with every single map though? Or did it just happen to a few?

Just the ones with the problems. There is probobly a better fix, but I don't know it and as long as you aren't tight on space in your rom, it shouldn't be too bad.

Umm....I know that I don't have any sort of fancy sig or anything that draws attention to my posts, but can I get an answer? Somebody has to have this, or know where I can find it.

You do realize that we answer these questions out of our own free will because we want to, right? You also realize that we are not payed to do this, we just like helping people, right? You also realize that a mod should have deleted your post because it is against the rules to demand answers, right?

Now that we have an understanding and can talk civilly,
we did not ignore your post. We just have no clue an therefore didn't answer. I know that when HackMew left the scene (hoping he will return) he took down his website and now all of his links are broken. The same could have happened with the emerald patch. It's not difficult to make one like it, just time consuming. Maybe, since you need one so bad, you should make one and share it with all of us.

Sorry for the sarcasm, things like this get to me.

Last edited:
Years
I'm hacking fire red, and at some point something went wrong with the route 4/cerulean connection or something like that.

Most of the time you can cross between the two just fine, but if you enter mt moon (or in my hack, the seafoam islands cave is there), and then return to route 4, the game freezes near the water headed back to cerulean. I've also seen similar things in other hacks...anyone know what's going on?

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2015
I am hacking emerald and I am currently making a really big city. I wanted to make the map 100x100 tiles, but Advance map said that the max heigt at a map width of 100 is 75, so I tried making 4 maps of 50x50 tiles. I made the connections and movement permissions and it all looked like it worked.

But when I walk in from 1 of the 4 maps into another one of them, the tiles of the connected maps change to the border blocks, and you can't walk over those tiles. they disappear if you walk away, but then different tiles appear...

has anyone an idea how I can fix this?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2017
How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....

karatekid552

Years
How do I make an npc "initially" hidden?
Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town (3.0) where he only shows up and stop you when you try to walk outside the town but he is actually in the center when you see it in Advance Map....

Before the player ever has a chance of encountering the npc, have a flag set. Set this same flag # as the person id in amap. The npc will be hidden until that flag is cleared.

Years
  • Seen Aug 31, 2014
I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

__ 3D 46 08
with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).

Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Hello all ^_^
I really need some help but Honestly I seem to have made no friends in here to ask for some. So I am asking the community..
I did my research on XSE and am getting really good at it, so I started learning about mapping on a more in depth scale, but have come to a halt. I am understanding how to load new tiles and change palletes, but what is bothering me is I have tried for a day and a half to figure out how to make Bridges to work in FR. I understand what movement permissions do but I can't for the life of me get my character to walk under the bridge. I read that the tiles behavior byte must be 08 00 but that didn't work so I tried to one in Ruby, That didn't work. I have read the what I can find on the subject of "Bridges in Fire Red" and do what they say step by step and still get no result... So what I need to know if someone could help me is step by step in detail how to set up bridges in Fire Red . Like if I need specific tiles for the briges, what behavior byte is for brigde tiles, and if it needs a backround byte???

tools being used-
Advance Map 1.92
Paint
Photoshop
X.S.E
IrfanView
and others

Many credits to their makers
and to those who keep this community toghether

karatekid552

Years
I asked this almost a year ago and no one knew, so I figure I'll ask again:

Does anyone know where the nature values for editing the stats are stored or how to go about finding them? I know where the nature names are stored and how to change them. I also know there's a weird spot behind them, at 463e60, with a very similar repeating pattern, but the number of them don't seem to match up to the number of natures. It goes something like:

with the blank a different value. Then it changes 3D to 3E after awhile. I also think that 08 is jumpstd, but 3D and 3E I have no idea what they're for (although the program I'm using translate them as = and > respectively, but it didn't translate the nature names correctly, so grain of salt).

Your "very similar repeating pattern" is a pointer table. When hex editing, you'll eventually notice that numbers are stored in reverse byte order. So, a pointer to the location 8 46 3E 60 would look like 60 3E 46 08. Remember, that the info in the rom is under the label of 08. Ram offsets would be in the in other labels such as 02 and 03.

I don't know much about natures but, their info will be stored in a table like the one you've experienced, where each pointer will point to the stats that are affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back