• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile The Hidden Historical References Behind Pokémon Masters’ Sync Pairs

The Hidden Historical References Behind Pokémon Masters’ Sync Pairs

The Hidden Historical References Behind Pokémon Masters’ Sync Pairs

Pokémon Masters’ Sync Pairs are ready for war, wearing some interesting costumes which may reference some famous real-life warriors.
Years
  • All I knew from this event was that Diantha was based on Joan of Arc, it's awesome to know the backstory behind the other characters now! Guzma's is especially interesting to know about. Now I know why I loved this event and its designs so much. <3

Celesteela was chosen as Jasmine's partner because it is based on Princess Kaguya from "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" and thus continues the princess motif found in Jasmine's overall special costume design.

ahh today I learned, this is neat

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    Thank you, Sheep! It was a lot of research, but I found it really interesting. I also enjoyed the reference I found to Pokemon Conquest, I love that game and might do a full article on it in the future. : )

Years
  • Pokémon really does go hard on the references and it's one of my favourite things about the games as a whole - even if it's not in your face visible, there's a lot of thinking that goes behind quite a few things in the games!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    I don't think it's worth an edit to the article itself, but I wanted to mention that I'm aware that Guzma's outfit might actually be referencing Takeda Shingen instead of Yukimura. They're both significant figures from the Sengoku period, and it wasn't easy to decide which one was being referenced. Here's some information on Takeda Shingen if you are interested, (he was also in Pokémon Conquest as well). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeda_Shingen
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shingen

Back