• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] XSE development

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I don't know if this is the right place, but is anyone still working on xse at this point?

It's the main tool for most binary rom hacks, but looking around it seems its starting to lose pace
    on functionality to the fangames script tools in pokeessentials.

Like there are script commands that exist in essentials, that we don't have in xse.

Is anyone working on xse, and is there a way to add new commands to the program?

Years
    • Seen today
    @Meister_anon~Master_o f_None

XSE is a tool by HackMew, he's a member of the community who ''retired'' years ago. So no, XSE is not actively in development anymore. Make sure to use the least buggy version, which is the unofficial release by Gamer2020.

XSE is pretty much bound to commands (which are single hex values with certain parameters) that are originally available in Gen III. It would be pretty hard to overhaul this whole scripting system and add unique commands to a ROM. However, the CFRU (building on JPAN's engine) adds a few specials to the special table. So you can make use of unused values of the special command. You're also free to import any custom ASM routine which you can make use of with the callasm command.

I agree that some of the commands could be named more specifically and that some of the commands need some more extensive explanation.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    @Meister_anon~Master_o f_None

XSE is a tool by HackMew, he's a member of the community who ''retired'' years ago. So no, XSE is not actively in development anymore. Make sure to use the least buggy version, which is the unofficial release by Gamer2020.

XSE is pretty much bound to commands (which are single hex values with certain parameters) that are originally available in Gen III. It would be pretty hard to overhaul this whole scripting system and add unique commands to a ROM. However, the CFRU (building on JPAN's engine) adds a few specials to the special table. So you can make use of unused values of the special command. You're also free to import any custom ASM routine which you can make use of with the callasm command.

I agree that some of the commands could be named more specifically and that some of the commands need some more extensive explanation.

yeah I had to find a archive by sphearical ice just to understand some of those things. smh.

specifically I was thinking about a take pokemon function, since I was having trouble figuring out how to do an ingame trade, (looks like its mostly done with specials). I was hoping it was simple to create a new command, to work like another one, but yeah I'll probably look into doing it with decomp or asm instead.

essentials already has a script command for taking pokemon, so I was a bit surprised it didn't already exist.
    Kinda sad this great program is starting to lose relevancy, I mean it'll be great for a long while still, but eventually it'll need to be replaced.

and just for curiosity sake, since these commands are from the rom, would it be possible to use C to hack the rom and insert new commands? That would probably involve making a whole branch rom base i assume.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    and just for curiosity sake, since these commands are from the rom, would it be possible to use C to hack the rom and insert new commands? That would probably involve making a whole branch rom base i assume.

Internally, the commands are just bytes, one byte for each command. There is a table that is essentially a list of C functions, so if you repointed that, you could add onto the end of it. Fairly trivial to add a new command in decomp, so it's probably possible here.

Only problem is that the max is 256 commands, and there's only room for like 20 more, so there's only so much you can do with it. Plenty of room for more specials though, and you have infinite callasm functions available to you.

Kinda sad this great program is starting to lose relevancy, I mean it'll be great for a long while still, but eventually it'll need to be replaced.

It's almost like binary in general is starting to lose relevancy and is rapidly bleeding tool developers... 🤔

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Internally, the commands are just bytes, one byte for each command. There is a table that is essentially a list of C functions, so if you repointed that, you could add onto the end of it. Fairly trivial to add a new command in decomp, so it's probably possible here.

Only problem is that the max is 256 commands, and there's only room for like 20 more, so there's only so much you can do with it. Plenty of room for more specials though, and you have infinite callasm functions available to you.

It's almost like binary in general is starting to lose relevancy and is rapidly bleeding tool developers... 🤔

nah binary itself isn't bad, and with new age tools like HMA, its become much simpler to work with, create new things, and make indepth edits.

HMA has even addressed some of the issues that has to do with XSE scripting and Advance Map repointing. etc.

This tool alone has breathed new life into binary hacking, and it its still being improved.

And its not like decomp doesn't have its own issues.

every medium has its pros and cons.

Back