• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2021
    I just downloaded and was able to use the program great, but after an hour or so I somehow lost the ability to flood fill the map by clicking the mouse wheel. I thought I may have hallucinated using the mouse wheel and was instead using a different shortcut, but when I checked the shortcuts to check I found there was no shortcut at all for flood filling the map. All in all I'm not sure what happened, but I know I was one minute able to flood fill and the next I wasn't.

Edit: Tried again today and was able to flood fill using the touch pad so it must be a problem with my mouse, though I did try using the touch pad last night, must have just done something wrong back then.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2020
    This tool is genuinely incredible! I can guarantee someone has recreated the entire Sinnoh region in this map by now which is insane!

I cannot wait to see it fully functional for BW and B2W2!

I am currently doing a personal project to get some of the new areas from B2W2 into BW (Excluding PWT, Relic Passage, Pokestar Studios and the Marine Tube)
    But I have noticed alot of the building files if you import them from B2W2 into BW via SDSME, they do not get recognised or load textures.

So when Gen 5 is fully compatible I am sure this will help me alot! :) (If I can find out how to add extra Map Headers and Sounds into the game it will be even better!)

Years
    • Seen today
    hey, i figured out how to edit textures. but how would you recommend editing the road textures? when i save the map, it doesn't look like every texture for roads is there.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    hey, i figured out how to edit textures. but how would you recommend editing the road textures? when i save the map, it doesn't look like every texture for roads is there.

Make sure that you reload the textures after modifying them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Thanks a lot for the support!
    Today I bring you the new version 2.1!

Here's a video showing the new changes:

New changes are:
    -New interface.
    -Choose between 3 different themes.
    -Terrain editor for gen 5.
    -BDHCAM editor.
    -3D display for the BDHC editor.
    -New tilesets.
    -Normal display.
    -New tile material display

Credits and special thanks to JackHack96, Mikelan98, Gonhex, AdAstra and Silast.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/shpg0w116y3iotx/Pokemon_DS_Map_Studio-2.1.zip/file

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2020
    First off this map editor is really darn cool. I just discovered it and have been playing around with it for a few hours now. I'm having some slight trouble with the tall grass though. After watching the "Creating a Map in Heartgold" video a few times I can see how the grass was made and that when using the smart drawing tool it fills everything in and it meshes with the main tile. My grass hasn't been doing that and instead leaves a transparent void in the rest of the tile space. I edited the tile for smart drawing so it more closely resembled the grass to see if it would work and it got me closer but hasn't quite solved my issue.

Edit: I figured it out immediately after posting this 😅

Attachments

• Edited smart tile.PNG
      Edited smart tile.PNG
      1.6 KB · Views: 101
    • Transparent grass.PNG
      Transparent grass.PNG
      22.9 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2021
    Nice tool! I just wanted to know something, first I am very new to ROM hacking and my knowledge is extremely limited. Sooo, when I try to add a tile I found (.PNG extension) it doesn't load. Are you supposed to use a 3D model since I am bad at modeling and Blender, the only 3D modeling software I am okay with isn't working on my computer. If there is ever a way to make tiles in an easier way can someone please let me know? Thanks a ton!

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2021
    Hello! Does anyone know how to place buildings? They don't seem to be available to me

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2021
    Hi! If you want to add buildings to your map, you can use the buildings editor or DS Pokémon Rom Editor
    In PDSMS go to the buildings editor and choose a folder extracted by either SDSME or DSPRE
    From there you can place buildings using the map buildings editor
    Hope this helped and good luck!

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • Awesome. I've always wanted to do DS-ROM hacking instead of GBA, but it was always too hard, because of the lack of tools.

This just opens up the door to a world of possibilities!

Thanks for this. 😄

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2021
    Nice tool! I just wanted to know something, first I am very new to ROM hacking and my knowledge is extremely limited. Sooo, when I try to add a tile I found (.PNG extension) it doesn't load. Are you supposed to use a 3D model since I am bad at modeling and Blender, the only 3D modeling software I am okay with isn't working on my computer. If there is ever a way to make tiles in an easier way can someone please let me know? Thanks a ton!

No, you have to use 3D models
    But don't worry you don't have to model them yourself!
    If you want to use models already present in the game, you can 'rip' them using Blender

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2021
    Blender works on a different device I have but I can't find a way to get the .obj files of the maps

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Just saw this just scrolling around, but even if it's a year late at this point, this is really opening the doors to new types of ROM Hacks.
    You're doing a bang up job. I'm definitely gonna fiddle with this in my free time. Can't wait to see where it takes things!

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    Hi! I'm probably extra late on this, but I do wanna report something I haven't been able to fix.
    The background image option seems to be somewhat bugged (at least from what I can tell), because for some reason the image is overlayed twice, one on the grid itself (which is what I want), but another on the overal map view, causing a very distracting view. Some examples
    wiaW58X.png
    <(This ones especially noticable because Im fully zomed out, and the background image is too, but also, theres the same image ontop at normal size)
    9JJnpnC.png

TeMlmPR.png

I only want this to fit with the grid itself, that way I can have the actual map ontop and work from there. If anyone knows how to fix this it'd be greatly appreciated because this is making me batty LOL

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2022
    Hey, I love the idea, as I recently have been thinking of creating my own pokemon game, but I have a little problem in that I have a macbook, which doesn't seem to support this platform. I installed it anyways, and it told me I needed Java, which I downloaded, but I still am unable to make it work. Is this platform usable in a mac? And if not, would you be able to recommend a platform that is usable on mac?

Years
  • I'm trying to import custom models for tiles and it's giving me an error saying that the texture it's supposed to be using does not exist in the folder of the OBJ file, even though it does. What could be causing this?

Edit: Never mind, blender for some reason puts an extra space before the file path in the .mtl file. Removing it solved the issue.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2023
    Hi im having trouble with making my own game. Can i make an entire region and just import it joined to one of the default maps in SDSME? I always try to import my maps but the regular maps are still there

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2023
    Could you somehow pass me BW Assets? I know there are tutorials to get the assets, but hey, I don't think I'll use new ones, more than the original ones and make my own maps with the existing resources.

(Because I'm still very new to blender and creating hackrooms)

(The same if someone else sees this message that can help me unu)

Back