• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    I'm trying to replace an existing building with a new one.
    This is how it looks in PDSMS and on DS.

As you can see the textures on the DS are all mixed up, can someone help me?

Attachments

• Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]
      house_ingame.png
      28.9 KB · Views: 39
      house.png
      16.1 KB · Views: 29
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Nevermind, I had to edit the "build_model_matshp.dat" file.

Trifindo, did you found out how the window texture works? So it changes color over time.

Attachments

house.png
      30.9 KB · Views: 17
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Nevermind, I had to edit the "build_model_matshp.dat" file.

Trifindo, did you found out how the window texture works? So it changes color over time.

It's great that you solved it! I was about to tell you to edit the "build_model_matshp.dat" haha
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that for making the window to work you need 2 textures.
    One of them would be the frame and the other would be the glass.
    The glass texture has to go behind the frame texture. Also for the material of the glass, instead of using the light0 (L0 in PDSMS), you have to enable only the light3 (L3). This will make that the texture is brighter at night time.
    The frame texture is just a regular texture, where you have to leave a transparent zone in order to see the glass texture behind it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    It's great that you solved it! I was about to tell you to edit the "build_model_matshp.dat" haha
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe that for making the window to work you need 2 textures.
    One of them would be the frame and the other would be the glass.
    The glass texture has to go behind the frame texture. Also for the material of the glass, instead of using the light0 (L0 in PDSMS), you have to enable only the light3 (L3). This will make that the texture is brighter at night time.
    The frame texture is just a regular texture, where you have to leave a transparent zone in order to see the glass texture behind it.

Thanks! Will try it out and let you know.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Triffindo,
    Would it work exactly the same in HGSS?

This is how it looks in HGSS according to your reply.

I've also included the settings of the window.

Attachments

lights.png
      8.6 KB · Views: 192
      settings.png
      18.6 KB · Views: 13
      blender.png
      64 KB · Views: 10
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Triffindo,
    Would it work exactly the same in HGSS?

This is how it looks in HGSS according to your reply.

I've also included the settings of the window.

I think HGSS uses other lights. Try disabling all of them for the glass. If it doesn't work I can check how it's done (it takes time though)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    It doesn't seem to work unfortunately :(

Try enabling only light 2. I've tried with that one and it worked.

EDIT: Also disable the option called "Uniform Normal Orientation" for the material of the glass
    EDIT2: You can also enable light 0 along with light 2

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Try enabling only light 2. I've tried with that one and it worked.

EDIT: Also disable the option called "Uniform Normal Orientation" for the material of the glass
    EDIT2: You can also enable light 0 along with light 2

Thank you so much! It works, I think that "Uniform Normal Orientation" did the trick.

Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Attachments

littleroot_night.png
      20.2 KB · Views: 198
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2020
    Do you have any plans for making it possible to import maps from the games? I'm trying to make Route 10 from Pokemon Black and White in Minecraft and a tool like this could be extremely useful, especially with the rivers.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Do you have any plans for making it possible to import maps from the games? I'm trying to make Route 10 from Pokemon Black and White in Minecraft and a tool like this could be extremely useful, especially with the rivers.

Unfortunately it's impossible to import maps from the game beacuse internally they are not made by tiles. The maps are just a bunch of polygons.
    If you want to take those 3D models from the game in OBJ format, you can use SDSME

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hello, it's been a while since the last update!
    I'm currently working on a new building editor for PDSMS, but it's taking much time to finish. That's why I want to share with you some of the progress I've made so far.

Here's a video about it.

More info soon!

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2024
    First of all, a very big thank you for such a great tool. You are one of those people who pave the way into DS Rom Hacking. Is there any way we can support you? Do you have Patreon or something?

Im realy hyped getting into DS Hacking and your tool makes it realy easy. As SDSME went open source, it should be easy to include that into your tool. Becouse it would be so great if we simply could Open a Map, edit it and save it directly within your tool.

Thx for all that hard work :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    First of all, a very big thank you for such a great tool. You are one of those people who pave the way into DS Rom Hacking. Is there any way we can support you? Do you have Patreon or something?

Im realy hyped getting into DS Hacking and your tool makes it realy easy. As SDSME went open source, it should be easy to include that into your tool. Becouse it would be so great if we simply could Open a Map, edit it and save it directly within your tool.

Thx for all that hard work :)
    Thank you very much for the comment!
    I think that the best way of supporting the tool is sharing it with people that likes Pokemon ROM hacking. I make this just for fun and for improving my programming skills, so I don't want to obtain any profit from it.

It would be cool to merge this tool with SDSME but there are some problems involved. First of all SDSME is written in C# and my tool is made in Java, so integrating them would require rewriting pretty much all of the SDSME code. Also, I believe there won't ever exist a tool that will allow opening a map and editing it "tile by tile" because of the map's internal format doesn't allow it. The NDS maps inside the rom are not divided in tiles.
    Summing up, we can't open a map from the original game and change a few tiles, but we can create new maps from scratch with PDSMS.

By the way, there's one tool that is being developed for replacing SDSME, and it will make NDS hacking much easier. But we have to wait until its release.

Acent

I found the hacking world is too big for me!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    I think the maps created using pdsmap are lighter in color than the original map.
    Can you solve this problem?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    I think the maps created using pdsmap are lighter in color than the original map.
    Can you solve this problem?

It's possible. But what kind of maps have different color? Are they indoor maps or overworld maps? From which game?

You can edit the color properties of each material by opening the IMD file with a text editor like notepad or notepad++. The colors are determined by the diffuse, specular, emission (and another one more, cant remember now) of each material.

Acent

I found the hacking world is too big for me!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Can you see?
    I know it seems like I nag, but I'm a little curious.
    How can I edit IMD file?

Last edited:
    Back