• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • 'Sup!

Been binging the hack for the last couple of days (v211001) and loving it so far. It's excactly the qol-ridden but classic experience that I wanted, so thanks a lot for that!

And now the small problem: I beat the game, got the national dex, went to the Cinnabar Island Pokemon Center aaaand no Bill.
    I used the main patch, the decap patch and a pss-split patch. Have I screwed myself with the last one or am I just too dumb to find the correct way to access the Sevii Islands?

Cheers!
    Sorry for the late response, been busy lately with preparing my other hack.

If you're using the main patch, you don't need to use any decap patches alongside it. Although I don't see why that (or the PSS patch) would cause the issue you're having, but it's certainly possible. Seems like something isn't clearing the flag for Bill correctly, which is weird since I haven't seen others have this problem before. If you send me your save I can fix it for you.
    I know this was posted before, but I wonder if this hack are going to be updated with overworld Abilities in Emerald like Synchronize, Flame Body, Compound Eyes, and Cute Charm. Just a friendly reminder for you.
    Flame Body should already have its overworld ability in the hack. As for the others, I'll be sure to add them to the hack should I get around to porting it to the decomps.

Years
  • how do i play this hack (i know that i just open firered in an emulator for the base game) but how do i play this hack do i do the same?

Years
  • I'm having difficulty applying this mod's patches to my Fire Red ROM. I've tried different programs and it says the patch was applied successfully but whenever I try to open the patched Fire Red, my GBA emulators all crash. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: Figured it out. Was using Fire Red 1.1, when I was supposed to use 1.0...d'oh!

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • how do i play this hack (i know that i just open firered in an emulator for the base game) but how do i play this hack do i do the same?
    You patch a v1.0 English ROM of FireRed. Lunar IPS is the most common IPS patching tool out there. Then you load the patched ROM in the emulator.

ZP3

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hi, everyone- just started playing the base version with the 251 addendum. Is that the recommended way to play? Or is that the unoffical patch now? Unsure of what will be the best experience.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    Thank you very much for your great work. I would love to add just Gb sounds to the Ash Gray hack game. Is there a way to this?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Hi, everyone- just started playing the base version with the 251 addendum. Is that the recommended way to play? Or is that the unoffical patch now? Unsure of what will be the best experience.
    You don't need the 251 Addendum now. You can get the first 251 Pokemon in the hack without it. I'd presume that it's also significantly out-of-date compared to the most recent version of the hack.
    Thank you very much for your great work. I would love to add just Gb sounds to the Ash Gray hack game. Is there a way to this?
    If you were messing with your own hack and trying to get it shoved in, it'd be a lot easier to add. But trying to add it to someone else's already-existing hack is more difficult. Especially if that hack changes the sound bank in any way, like if any new songs, instruments, or voice groups are added.
    Can you get every pokemon in one playthrough?
    You can get all the Kanto and Johto Pokemon in one playthrough. Hoenn Pokemon aren't available in Throwback.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    You don't need the 251 Addendum now. You can get the first 251 Pokemon in the hack without it. I'd presume that it's also significantly out-of-date compared to the most recent version of the hack.

The 251 Addendum changes some gym leaders, elite four and champions pokemon and give the pokemon better moves. Also restores trainer who have self-destruct making some battles interesting also changes the PC wallpapers to instead of the same 4 wallpaper.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • The 251 Addendum changes some gym leaders, elite four and champions pokemon and give the pokemon better moves. Also restores trainer who have self-destruct making some battles interesting also changes the PC wallpapers to instead of the same 4 wallpaper.
    I could've sworn it was something else at first, but I figured out what it was not long after I posted that.

IDK if it's compatible with the most recent version of Throwback, based on what others have said.

Years
    • Seen today
    Loving this so far! But I think this game would be my idealized experience if it had:
    1. Mega Evolution (but still stick to just the original 252)
    2. A way to ignore IVs and EVs entirely

I know it's not being worked on, but if someone out there could make this old man's dream come true...

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • How do you get Mew when you require Mewtwo? Where do I get mewtwo?
    Mewtwo is in the same place its always been. Mew is on Mt. Ember, and you'll need to have Mewtwo in your party to start the battle.
    Loving this so far! But I think this game would be my idealized experience if it had:
    1. Mega Evolution (but still stick to just the original 252)
    2. A way to ignore IVs and EVs entirely

I know it's not being worked on, but if someone out there could make this old man's dream come true...
    I obviously won't be doing the first one myself. If someone wanted to add it to their Throwback-based hack, I'd be surprised if they stopped there and didn't add more features from the later games to it.

The latter feature is something interesting to consider. I'm not personally a fan of it, since the point of IVs and EVs is to help make each Pokemon an individual, distinctly different from other Pokemon of the same species. But it is something that would force players to rethink how they teambuild.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    So I just got done with the elite four and made it to the islands and saw my first non Kanto Pokémon. Before playing, When I was reading about this, I though the jhoto Pokémon would be mixed throughout the original kanto play through? Did I misunderstand, or Did I not load the rom hack correctly?

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Having an issue... trying to breed a horsea with outrage but none of the moves are passing down from the parent... I have a male Dragonair that knows outrage and they are producing eggs

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • With Imgur going the route of Tumblr, I'm back to update image links. May as well respond to some posts while I'm at it. I'm always active in my hack Discord server if you want to chat there!
    So I just got done with the elite four and made it to the islands and saw my first non Kanto Pokémon. Before playing, When I was reading about this, I though the jhoto Pokémon would be mixed throughout the original kanto play through? Did I misunderstand, or Did I not load the rom hack correctly?
    You did indeed misunderstand. Wild Johto Pokemon only appear in the Sevii Islands.

Having an issue... trying to breed a horsea with outrage but none of the moves are passing down from the parent... I have a male Dragonair that knows outrage and they are producing eggs
    Are you using the Custom Learnsets patch? Horsea doesn't learn Outrage through breeding until Gen V.

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Played this a while ago, loved it, and thought I'd give it another go. It was between this and MegaBlue and that doesn't work on mGBA so my decision was easy to make! I didn't see this in the op but I figured I'd ask anyway. Is there a patch included that replaces the Pokemon sprites with their HGSS/Platinum ones?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Played this a while ago, loved it, and thought I'd give it another go. It was between this and MegaBlue and that doesn't work on mGBA so my decision was easy to make! I didn't see this in the op but I figured I'd ask anyway. Is there a patch included that replaces the Pokemon sprites with their HGSS/Platinum ones?
    I'm honored to get the nod, even with how old this hack is now!

I never made a patch for Gen IV sprites for Throwback. If someone else did, I'm not aware of it.

Back