• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • You should make a yellow version patch with Pokemon Yellow events!
    You mean with the additional events such as Jessie and James? Or the whole Pikachu thing? Either way, it's not something I'm planning on doing. The former would add too many specific references to the anime (which Yellow specifically calls to, but FR/LG don't), and Pikachu would be far too much work for me, especially using binary hacking.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for making this. I've been having lots of fun trying to catch every Pokémon of the first two generations while using the nostalgic GB Sounds. But, it looks like there's just one Sun Stone... is there another one somewhere? I need another one so I can get both Bellossom and Sunflora.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I noticed that downloads for some of the files in the OP have been restricted, so I took the time to fix them for people unable to get the ones they wanted. If you weren't able to download the files you were looking for just now, try again. It should work this time.

Hi there!
    First of all, thank you for making this. I've been having lots of fun trying to catch every Pokémon of the first two generations while using the nostalgic GB Sounds. But, it looks like there's just one Sun Stone... is there another one somewhere? I need another one so I can get both Bellossom and Sunflora.
    Happy to hear you're enjoying your time with Throwback!

You can get more Sun Stones as a reward from Selphy on Five Island.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I noticed that downloads for some of the files in the OP have been restricted, so I took the time to fix them for people unable to get the ones they wanted. If you weren't able to download the files you were looking for just now, try again. It should work this time.

Happy to hear you're enjoying your time with Throwback!

You can get more Sun Stones as a reward from Selphy on Five Island.

Thank you! :)

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Happy Arbitrary Throwback Update Day!

It's not Thursday, but it is still a fine day to throw it back! This update fixes the roaming Roar glitch and updates the Catch 'em All documentation to include details for some Pokémon obtaining/locations that players often have questions about.

I've also included a special patch along with the update. In the Throwback Discord server, Karmageddon showed off work on a fabulous graphics mod based on the Wardrobe part of the hack. The female player character design is based on her appearance in Pokémon Adventures, so why not have her hair flow? Well, now you can! If you want to play Throwback without a hat, there's a new patch included in the download for you to do just that. Apply it last to your hack, either on top of the full patch or in place of the Wardrobe patch (without the compatibility patch). Thank you so much for sharing your work with me and allowing me to use it in Throwback, Karmageddon! I really appreciate it.

No-Hat-Battle.png

It's a bit of a bittersweet moment for me, though. When I last said that I only wanted to work on bugfixes for Throwback, that was before this Wardrobe mod became a reality. Now, I mean it. All of my main hacking work will now be going into decomps. I'll still provide support and fixes for Throwback as needed, but I'm moving on to Revelation and porting Throwback to a decomp.

That doesn't mean Throwback is over, though. Far from it. When I do get done porting my current work on it to a decomp, I've got a lot of ideas for further improving the hack. Many of which I've already implemented in my work on Revelation! It'll be fun to see how much further I can stretch my ideals for Throwback with a more flexible system.

Keep that retro vibe rocking!

Changelog

Last edited:

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Return title screen or make a custom one. Return moltres to mt ember and put mew under The truck. Would be perfect

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Return title screen or make a custom one.
    I'd much rather restore the title screen than make a custom one, although both are certainly options. I might do that at some point, but I've got other priorities.
    Return moltres to mt ember
    With the Sevii Islands being entirely post-game, that would mean that Moltres wouldn't be accessible until post-game.
    and put mew under The truck.
    Not happening. That's a complete non-starter.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I truly don't understand how you can remove Faraway Island from the game because it "breaks canon" and then turn around and lazily stick Mew on Mt Ember walking around like it's a fricken Caterpie or something.
    Figure I'd respond to you separately in case mods come in and clean things up.

You again? It's been more than five years. Give it a rest. You have no good reason to be that agitated about these kinds of things. Even if you are legitimately disappointed, you'd be much better off spending that energy doing something else other than trying to get a ruse out of me.

And others, as it turns out! I see you've gone after other hack creators with similar hacks. You really are something, aren't you?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I've gotten to cerulean City and the game keeps freezing. If I open up my pokemon it freezes, if I start a battle with the last nugget Bridge member it freezes. It's now unplayable. This hack just wasted my time

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Don't play this game. I got to cerulean City and the game keeps freezing at random points, totally unplayable. What a waste

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    Hi, I need help, I wanted Bill to appear only after I defeat the Elite Four, that is, that the Seven Islands were only post-game. Also, if anyone knows, how to get a Premier Ball after buying 10 Poké Balls. Both have in Pokémon Throwback, but I wanted to know how to put only this 2 things in normal Fire Red, what's the script, or have some patch, or asm? Can anybody help me? Only this 2 things 😔

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • The TM seller in the Celadon Mart don't sell TMs , where can i get those TMs?
    Are you using an up-to-date version of the hack? The Celadon Dept. Store should be selling them in the most recent version on the second floor.

Hi, I need help, I wanted Bill to appear only after I defeat the Elite Four, that is, that the Seven Islands were only post-game. Also, if anyone knows, how to get a Premier Ball after buying 10 Poké Balls. Both have in Pokémon Throwback, but I wanted to know how to put only this 2 things in normal Fire Red, what's the script, or have some patch, or asm? Can anybody help me? Only this 2 things 😔
    Bill is inside the Pokémon Center on Cinnabar Island after you beat the game. Professor Oak will mention this right after upgrading your Pokédex to the National Dex in the hack. I don't know if you knew that or not based on how you phrased your post, but there have been others that have been confused by that. As for the crux of your post, I'm sure someone in the general hacking subforums can help you out with that. It could help you fall deeper into the Pokémon hacking rabbit hole!

Spoiler:

I've gotten to cerulean City and the game keeps freezing. If I open up my pokemon it freezes, if I start a battle with the last nugget Bridge member it freezes. It's now unplayable. This hack just wasted my time

Don't play this game. I got to cerulean City and the game keeps freezing at random points, totally unplayable. What a waste
    I'm sorry to hear your having issues playing the hack. Freezes/crashes are never fun. Having said that...

... do you really think that hopping into this thread strictly to discredit me and my work is the thing to do? Countless others have played through the entirety of this hack without issue, so I'm betting this issue is more likely on your end. Rather than try to work things out, though, you just throw your hands up in the air and spout "This hack sucks, it's broken and you shouldn't play it." Not only is that insulting, it turns others away from potentially trying out the hack because of how pointed your statements are despite them not reflecting what the Throwback experience is actually like. It's not unplayable in the slightest.

I'd like to help you out with your situation and get the hack working for you. Your attitude and approach, however, are pretty reprehensible. You should definitely reconsider how you bring up these kinds of issues in the future. I'm sure you won't notice, though, seeing as you only showed up for a hot minute to post this and haven't shown your face around here since.

Years
  • Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Your reply to Plsletmedownload: 👏👏👏

By the way, I played this hack more than a year ago (February 2021 to be exact) and I quite liked it, honestly. Keep up the good work! Perhaps I could replay it again...

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Your reply to Plsletmedownload: 👏👏👏

By the way, I played this hack more than a year ago (February 2021 to be exact) and I quite liked it, honestly. Keep up the good work! Perhaps I could replay it again...
    Thanks! It's really appreciated. I've faced a number of these kinds of posts in the past. I don't really let them get under my skin now, but I feel that responses can still be warranted if they do affect what others might think in an inaccurate way.

Happy you enjoyed Throwback, BTW. And I've been working! I might have something else cooking for release in the not-too-distant future. 😉

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • Happy Throwback Thursday... and More!

Okay, maybe it's a bit mean to throw out the old title. This isn't a content update, but a quick fix for the individual patches. Throwback Discord server member and fellow hacker Akiak let me know that there were issues with applying things a la carte:

• Applying the Extras patch after the GB Sounds patch made the game not add a GB Sounds item to your inventory.
    • Applying both the Extras and Wardrobe patches led to graphics corruption with the male player's intro sprite... yet again, as well as the female player's credits sprites (unreported, but it was also an issue).
    This bugfix update fixes both of them. If you're interested in using custom patch loadouts for your Throwback experience, make sure to update to this release!

Also, I've got something interesting cooking for in a couple of days. If you're interested, check out the server on Saturday night and see what's up!

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    'Sup!

Been binging the hack for the last couple of days (v211001) and loving it so far. It's excactly the qol-ridden but classic experience that I wanted, so thanks a lot for that!

And now the small problem: I beat the game, got the national dex, went to the Cinnabar Island Pokemon Center aaaand no Bill.
    I used the main patch, the decap patch and a pss-split patch. Have I screwed myself with the last one or am I just too dumb to find the correct way to access the Sevii Islands?

Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2023
    I know this was posted before, but I wonder if this hack are going to be updated with overworld Abilities in Emerald like Synchronize, Flame Body, Compound Eyes, and Cute Charm. Just a friendly reminder for you.

Back