• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Therian Landorus based team

Years
  • Hi everyone. I got this Therian Landorus from giveaway and wanted to build a team with it on SM OU. Ideas on how to begin?

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
  • It's all your choice but personally I'd go with
    Charizard@Charizardite X
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 special defense EVs
    Moves:
    Fire Punch
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake/Brick Break
    Dragon Dance

Tapu Koko@Fairium Z
    Ability: Electric Surge
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 special attack EVs, 4 defense EVs
    Moves:
    Discharge
    Dazzling Gleam
    Hidden Power Ice
    Calm Mind/Volt Switch

Other Suggestions:

Gyarados@Gyaradosite
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 HP EVs
    Moves:
    Waterfall
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's all your choice but personally I'd go with
    Charizard@Charizardite X
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 special defense EVs
    Moves:
    Fire Punch
    Dragon Claw
    Earthquake/Brick Break
    Dragon Dance

Tapu Koko@Fairium Z
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 special attack EVs, 4 defense EVs
    Moves:
    Discharge
    Dazzling Gleam
    Hidden Power Ice
    Calm Mind/Volt Switch

Other Suggestions:

Gyarados@Gyaradosite
    EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 HP EVs
    Moves:
    Waterfall
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance

Koko doesn't have much use for Discharge, as fishing for paralysis is pretty redundant with its high Speed. It's better off using Thunderbolt as a consistent Electric STAB.

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
  • Koko doesn't have much use for Discharge, as fishing for paralysis is pretty redundant with its high Speed. It's better off using Thunderbolt as a consistent Electric STAB.

It's just my suggestion, discharge has a 30% chance of paralysis and has a chance of opponent doing nothing when it's paralyzed which is useful and thunderbolt has 10% chance of paralysis and only 10 more base power but discharge has saved me lots of times with paralyzing opponents.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It's just my suggestion, discharge has a 30% chance of paralysis and has a chance of opponent doing nothing when it's paralyzed which is useful and thunderbolt has 10% chance of paralysis and only 10 more base power but discharge has saved me lots of times with paralyzing opponents.

Koko is rather frail to try to fish for paralysis. It's better all-out attacking. That, and Thunderbolt achieves a few KOs that Discharge can fall short on more easily:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 169-199 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 150-177 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 177-208 (51.6 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 156-184 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Landorus-T is the kind of 'mon that can fit onto almost team, so instead of building a team around it, one can build a team around something else and just slot it in somehow.

The set you have there is a common one since it fits a bunch of good stuff (SR support, Intimidate+physical bulk, Ground+Electric immunities, slow U-Turn) onto one teamslot. It generally can check physical attackers that are Earthquake or HP Ice weak, or are just rather frail.

So one idea would be to use a (set-up) sweeper that pairs well with it, particularly something that threatens what (defensive) Lando tends to draw in (fat/fast Water or Ice types, Skarm/Celes, Tapu Bulu, etc) . The aforementioned Mega Gyarados and Tapu Koko do that (Koko in particular), as well as maybe stuff like Keldeo or Gunk Shot (Ash?)Greninja. Maybe.

For less offensive/more defensive options, AssVest Tangrowth and Tapu Fini should partner reasonably well with it, I think.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You guys are awesome!
    Here is how my team is now:
    I've added Ceslesteela for defensive coverage, Kartana to Defog and additionally it can sweep, and Volcarona to Revenge Kill. What do you think?

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
    Shiny: Yes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Volt Switch

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 158 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Heavy Slam
    - Fire Blast
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Defog
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Swords Dance

Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Flare Blitz
    - Psychic
    - Giga Drain
    - U-turn

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
  • You guys are awesome!
    Here is how my team is now:
    I've added Ceslesteela for defensive coverage, Kartana to Defog and additionally it can sweep, and Volcarona to Revenge Kill. What do you think?

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Thunderbolt
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Volt Switch

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Celesteela @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 158 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Heavy Slam
    - Fire Blast
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Defog
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Swords Dance

Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Flare Blitz
    - Psychic
    - Giga Drain
    - U-turn

Kartana is outspeed by some and has low defenses so i wouldn't give it swords dance unless there was a wall, I would give it a coverage move and also give it a life orb instead and Volcarona is better used with a focus sash and giving it heat wave, bug buzz, giga drain and quiver dance but again it's all up to you.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Kartana is outspeed by some and has low defenses so i wouldn't give it swords dance unless there was a wall, I would give it a coverage move and also give it a life orb instead and Volcarona is better used with a focus sash and giving it heat wave, bug buzz, giga drain and quiver dance but again it's all up to you.

You're underestimating Swords Dance Kartana. It may be frail, especially in the special side, but its physical bulk is decent. Swords Dance is one of Kartana's best sets because it can set up on a passive wall like Skarmory then break past it with All Out Pummeling. Swords Dance also compensates for the not very impressive base power moves Kartana usually runs. Kartana also has the option of running Defog to clear away entry hazards on your field. Kartana is reasonably good at forcing switches so it gets opportunities to remove hazards. You don't have to set up Swords Dance if the time isn't right; you only set it up when there's an opportunity. In other words, OP's moveset is fine the way it is.

Changing Volcarona to Quiver Dance, I agree on. But the alternative item should be Charti Berry to let Volcarona take a (non-STAB) Rock move when setting up. Focus Sash isn't particularly good with all the priory and hazards running around. Heat Wave is outclassed by Fire Blast because of the latter's raw power; it's only good in doubles:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Bug Buzz
    -Fire Blast
    -Psychic/Hidden Power (Ground)
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Charti Berry

Back