• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
Or is this a case of literary term misuse?
Maybe it is :\.
How can themes be worse than one another?
No, no, I don't mean that at all, some themes/plot elements of literature are as of yet un-used in fandom. I wish they were :). I would read them for one :D
This is like arguing that fantasy writing is more creative then science-fiction writing because science fiction has to include science (or something).
I've seen that debate everywhere O.o I think it is one of the oldest ones (not that there is any truth to it)

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
Years
No, no, I mean use at all, some themes/plot elements of literature are as of yet un-used in fandom...

You keep changing your argument... and ignoring tons of points.

And way to back that one up. I'm totally swayed now.

Seriously, which ones? How so? Why is our fandom worse for the exclusion of them? And besides, that's a sweeping generalization. I could just as quickly say every theme known to man has been used, you just haven't picked up on it. Most writing is very lite. You're taking the entirety of original works and comparing them to a very narrow category. It's irrartional. *Many* original works contain no deeper meaning.

EDIT: As an appendage to that, odds are you haven't seen a good representation of all original works because people only tend to read *good* literature. When have you picked up a book in a store and thought, "This looks sucky, I'll buy it!?" It's a question of underrepresentative bias.

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
Years
Which would you post; an introduction, or the first chapter when beginning a story?

I've always posted some kind of author's note at the very beginning, usually including information such as when I started writing the story, whether or not it's completed, and how many chapters have been written so far if it's not completed, among other things. I don't usually give away much information about the actual content of the story in the introduction beyond a little fair warning about things that might offend the sensibilities of some, though.

Now, as far as prologues go, one of my stories has one, and the other story doesn't.

How long do you wait in between posting chapters?

I post a chapter whenever a new one's finished and ready, which is... very infrequently these days. XD; That's when I don't already have a bunch of chapters already ready to post, anyway. When I do have multiple chapters ready to go at once, I usually don't post more than once a week--I tend not to post even that often, actually--and will wait longer than usual after posting especially long chapters in order to give folks more time to read what's already there.

What pokemon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?

Voltorb and/or Electrode, please. ^^ More Magnemite/ton/zone, too. Oh, and Probopass! ^^ Eh, lately I've just been itching to read stories that prominently feature any of those Pokémon--if any of you know of any stories that do, please direct me to them. ^^

How do you choose your characters' teams?

Very few of my characters actually have teams. For those who do...

Spoiler:

As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?

I... can't seem to think of a least favorite explanation. ^^; There aren't really any explanations for that that bug me, not even "miraculously able to for no reason at all".

What do you think the easiest tense to work with is?

I find past tense easier, but maybe just because that's what I use most often. Whenever I use present tense, I often catch myself slipping into past tense out of habit. o.o;

Are One Shots worth writing?

I'd say yes, definitely. I tihnk they're worth every bit as much as chaptered works.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
And way to back that one up. I'm totally swayed now.
I'm not trying to sway anyone. At all. Even if my pov is wrong to 99.9% people in the world, and it is bias etc, it is only my own :). I thought that was all we were doing here, just sharing our reading veiws, not trying to sway one another.
I mean, after all, if you wrote a fanfic that was something incredibly new and different, would that automatically mean you're not as creative as a published author, just because you're writing fanfiction?

No, it won't IMHO :)

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I thought that was all we were doing here, just sharing our reading veiws, not trying to sway one another.

One of the inevitable downsides to voicing your opinion in public is that the opposition has every right to argue against you as well. So, again, that's what I mean by "if you can't stand debate, don't do stuff to get into it." Essentially, an open forum isn't a one-sided show. We're not just here to voice our opinions. The point of a discussion is to not only voice opinions but also to talk with one another, so the only place on the internet where you're guaranteed the ability to voice an opinion and not have a debate stemming from it is a private webpage with no guestbook, forum, or e-mail address anywhere on it.

No, it won't IMHO :)

My point exactly, then.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
One of the inevitable downsides to voicing your opinion in public is that the opposition has every right to argue against you as well.
The thing is that even if they take my point as if I am saying 'my writing pov is better than yours' I'm really not saying that. I'm not trying to sway anyone, but that should'nt mean I can't just say my opinion.
nly place on the internet where you're guaranteed the ability to voice an opinion and not have a debate stemming from it is a private webpage with no guestbook, forum, or e-mail address anywhere on it.
I should put myself in a little box :( ? My answers were to open questions asking just for my unsupported opinion on fanfic, nothing more :)
I'm not asking anyone to think the same way I do. Can't people agree to disagree ?
Everyone on all the main pokemon fanfic forums aside (or added in, I just mean to say this is not aimed at anyone here in any sense, or meant to start debate in any way), I'm sure I am not the only author in all of fanfic who has a bias/generalization or three about the fanfic world...

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
However long it takes me to write the next one. I'm really not one to keep my chapters for some set length of time; I'm too eager for feedback.

What Pokémon would you like to see have a major part in fanfic more often?
None. I really don't care about the species of the Pokémon people write; as long as their characters are interesting and they're well portrayed, it's all the same to me. And no, seeing trainers start with Eevee in fics doesn't annoy me one bit. I've never understood the whole deal about overused and underused Pokémon.

It depends. For The Quest for the Legends, I planned out Mark and May's teams beforehand in order to give the attacks their Pokémon knew the best type coverage possible such that I liked all of the Pokémon they used. I also planned out the Pokémon that the Gym leaders had by simply making sure that every fully evolved Pokémon of the type they trained obtainable at the level their Pokémon were at was on either the leader's team or some junior trainer's. (This was in the G/S/C era, note; I've actually nearly entirely kept to the Gym leader plan, only switching out a couple of their Pokémon for Hoenn ones so that the complete lack of third generation Pokémon wouldn't be too conspicuous.)

However, for all other Pokémon trainer characters I've written, I've simply given them the first Pokémon that crossed my mind they would have. I tend to use the first thing that crosses my mind quite a lot while I'm writing.

As a reviewer, what is your absolute least favorite explanation for a character that understands Pokemon outside of "miraculously able to for no reason at all"?
Anything that is solely there to make the character speshul.

I'll have to be different here and say I love both of them for their different purposes. Present tense works for me in some one-shots, but I prefer the past in my chaptered works because they don't really carry as much of a sense of happening "in real time".

I guess present tense, to me, brings you closer to what is going on in the story and immerses you more in what is happening. It makes things more dramatic and more, well, as I said, real-time. If it's paced well enough, the present tense can, I guess, convey the situation more effectively as if one were part of it. In chaptered stories, there is always the wait between chapters, and it's kind of unconvincing, somehow, to maintain that in a chapter posted a couple of months later the same thing is still happening "here and now". At least I get that feeling.

But yeah, I like writing some things in present tense and some things in past tense, depending on what they are.

Depends on what the point you want to convey is. Some things are appropriate for one-shots, other things for chaptered works.

Also, wow, you guys post ridiculously much in this thread. o_O I remember when the fanfic lounge was completely dead, but now the times have changed...

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
Years
In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how pokemon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?

Also, wow, you guys post ridiculously much in this thread. o_O I remember when the fanfic lounge was completely dead, but now the times have changed...
I'm sorry if my posting is a trouble :(. I'm just not feeling well today, and so at my computer I stay :P.

Last edited:

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I wait as long as it takes for me to get an idea as to what events occur in that particular chapter, which is probably in a day or so. Then I begin writing it, which takes me a little less than a week.

I'd say past tense. I don't know why, but I've always found that to be the easiest to write and the one I use most often.

I just pick any random pokemon for each person. Of course, I try to balance the teams out as best as I can, and try not to pick the same pokemon for two trainers.

I think they are. Not every idea needs to be written in 20+ chapters or so...

"My character is The Chosen One, and he/she has special powers that will help him/her fufill their destiny!" (In the first fanfiction I ever wrote, I actually did that :P)

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
Years
I should put myself in a little box :( ? My answers were to open questions asking just for my unsupported opinion on fanfic, nothing more :)
I'm not asking anyone to think the same way I do. Can't people agree to disagree ?
Everyone on all the main pokemon fanfic forums aside (or added in, I just mean to say this is not aimed at anyone here in any sense, or meant to start debate in any way), I'm sure I am not the only author in all of fanfic who has a bias/generalization or three about the fanfic world...

This is all lovely, but when you voice an opinion, you have to be prepared to back it up. Frankly, if you don't want to do this (or don't have a reason), then yeah, it's probably not a good idea to put opinions out there because inherently, people who disagree with you ask you why you believe that. And just ignoring them when they ask doesn't add any credibility to your opinions.

You can't just throw out 'unsupported opinions' and expect us to :):):):) and throw cookies at you.

purple_drake

~Elite obsessed~
Years
Well, if what she's seen and what's present are one in the same, then what? She shouldn't say anything because it might offend people who worry they're guilty of the same thing?

Not to beat a dead horse (although I do love doing that), I don't really think what Jax said was that far off. SPPf has a few good fics, and very much copycat-ing... which is good for me, because at this point I can pretty much copy-and-paste huge chunks of concrit, but I digress.

Speaking of poking dead horses... ^.^;;; Nah, just wanna address this, then I shall leave you to your... uh, discussion. :P

I hope you realize I was agreeing with her at that point? Maybe I just didn't state myself clearly enough. Quite honestly I don't read enough stuff on SPPf to be able to say for myself whether or not she's right--for all I know, most stories there could be the same. I was just pointing out that the fact that she'd 'heard' it and was judging it based on that--or so her statement implied--seemed remarkably similar to what she was saying Orange_Flaaffy was doing, and it detracted from her overall argument.

The second line was supposed to be an agreement of what I took to be the point she was trying to make--that it's not a good idea to be making generalisations.

All good now? :)

Honestly, I don't review enough to have seen many fics like this. ^.^;; But, 'just because I said so' would probably be up there. Fanfiction or not, it's still a story about a real-life parallel and still needs to make... a certain amount... of logical sense.

Past tense is easiest for me--in fact I'm sure I read somewhere that most people tend to think in past tense, which is why it's so common. Just don't quote me on that.

I've tried present tense before, though, and I really enjoyed writing it--it's a tense I'd love to try again, but I'd probably only use it for first-person, which isn't a PoV I write in very often.

That's... kinda like asking if fantasy or romance stories are worth writing. O.o It depends a little on the author's preference, a little bit on how much story there is to tell, and a little bit on how it would be best for the story to be told. Like 'Heart of the Magma'; it's 35 pages long but I still consider it a one-shot, because it's fairly self-contained and doesn't any need any more than what's already there. Some might consider it a two- or -three-shot, though. ;)

...and is it just me, or do I refer back to my stories an awful lot? O.o Whoops.

In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how pokemon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?

This is an issue I really need to start thinking about. XD All my characters right now either aren't battlers, came into the story with pokemon which have been with them for long enough that they know most of their attacks, or have been given pokemon from family members which are already fairly well-trained. Or I just haven't gotten far enough for them to need to learn more attacks. :3

Off the top of my head, though, I think if a pokemon was learning an attack of a differing type then it would need more rigorous training--especially if the attack were an elemental. Like, say, an aerodactyl learning Flamethrower (which it can). They're not fire-types, so you'd think it would take a lot of effort to learn, and since it's not physical in any way, but a generation of energy, it can't use what it already has--ie, its body and weight to perform, say, Earthquake.

But, in general, if we're talking physical training/conditioning as opposed to the computer disk TMs, I'd go with physical training all the way.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014

Of course they are. I'll read a good one shot over a good fanfic any day.

I really just fudge it. It seems like the move just seems to appear and old moves dissapear, I don't bring in some big training sequence or such...

BTW, I am EXTREMELY mad at Madina Lake for stealing my happy b-day thread. BUAH BUAH BUAH!

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Generally, I just have them learn the level-up moves naturally as they grow. TM moves are taught through TMs, which just look like the CDs from the games; breeding moves, on the other hand, are taught through training, since the Pokémon can utilize the move, but doesn't do it naturally. The idea was that the parents can teach the move to the Pokémon when it is very young, or the trainer can go through a bit more trouble to manually teach the Pokémon how to use it.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
This is all lovely, but when you voice an opinion, you have to be prepared to back it up. Frankly, if you don't want to do this (or don't have a reason), then yeah, it's probably not a good idea to put opinions out there because inherently, people who disagree with you ask you why you believe that. And just ignoring them when they ask doesn't add any credibility to your opinions.

You can't just throw out 'unsupported opinions' and expect us to :):):):) and throw cookies at you.

Thanks for saying it better than I could. XD

And that's all I really have to say on the subject.

Anyway.

*shrug* It depends on the move. Because I'm used to anime-style battling (as in, the actual forum activity), I sort of assume that Pokemon know their level-up moves already. With TMs and HMs, they usually have to be taught through special means, such as the way Ash taught his Swellow Aerial Ace. Using this method, the trainer has to actually learn how to teach the move through manuals/reading material/special CDs that look like the ones in the game, set up an appropriate course/training ground, and spend a lot of time with the Pokemon, trying to teach it how to summon whatever ability it has to use the move.

And yeah, that's for every TM/HM. XD

I know. Really freaking complicated and could probably be handled better by someone else, but I like doing it this way for the mini-plots.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Eh...work. It makes me miss out on things.

"Worth"? Odd sense of wording.

They are, if the idea needed to be presented isn't enough to carry a full multi-chaptered story. One-shots are challenging to write, at least for me (*kicks aside a few notebooks full of fluffy one-shots*), since there's so little room for expansion on the ideas, so plots and characters have to be dealt with in a short time.

Training, training, training. For TMs/HMs, I follow the anime and have the trainer work alongside the Pokemon to teach the move. It creates a good bonding time for the characters. As for the level-up moves, those take some training, but require for the Pokemon to be "older" before they can correctly use the energy needed to perform the attack.

Deathspector

I'm so hardcore, I'm "X"-rated
Years

Definitely. In fact, I find them a lot more satisfying to write than chaptered stories (which would explain my lack of chaptered stories). They are also, like people before me have said, challenging to write, and as a writer, challenges are what you want. Of course, I'm not denying that chaptered fics are difficult to write, but One-shots are just as difficult in their own way. You have to complete the entire plot in a short space, without leaving out vital points, and not leaving the reader guessing things that they shouldn't. They are also great for writing reminiscent thoughts (like having a character look back on something that happened in his or her past) and can use canon characters easily.

In fanfic how do you handle the issue of how Pokémon learn new moves? Do they have to do detailed training for different types of powers?

I let the Pokémon's powers evolve. For instance, is a Squirtle were to learn to use Water Gun, I would have its trainer call out a command like "Bubble" and then have Squirtle issue a thick stream of bubble that eventually becomes a water gun. In the case of physical moves (like Tackle or Tail Whip) I would have the trainer and Pokémon work together to perfect it. I use a similar strategy when teaching a Pokémon a move that it does not naturally learn.

Deathspector

Years
attack of the fossils

meh mine will be better its called attack of the fossils
all fossil pokemon go on a rampage and the legends must stop them before the world is destroyed presenting the newest legend (created by me) velocidon which can only be revived by fossil.

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2023

Dangit, my original reply to this question didn't post. -_-
Anyways, only one pokemon has really learned a new move so far and due to lack of training and/or other reasons, he can't use the attack more than half the time, and usually when he does, it's under powered. Perhaps with training, he will be able to use it more effectively, which I do plan to incorporate.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
Aight, gotta a question

How do you logically solve the problem of water pokemon (without legs such as Kingdra) in battles on land?

Again, I really just fudge it. Either the problem is just unannounced, or I just make them floating in mid air or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back