• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 6 - 23rd April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've been working with this recently, and it's somewhat frustrating. I keep randomly getting this error:

It can happen when I scroll through a Pokemon, when I select to edit that Pokemon, or when I save the edits. It's happened on a number of Pokemon sporadically, and when I reloaded the editor and tried again, it'll work fine on the Pokemon it crashed on. It may also crash on a Pokemon it didn't crash on previously.

I AM using P-Sign's animated sprites/BW pack, but that doesn't modify the scripts, so... Is there anything you can say about this?
    The error message is self-explanatory, and it happens because you're using gifs (the scripts mentioned in the error message point to the gif support). I really don't know anything about using gifs, so I can't help. All I can think of is to look for patterns or trends in when it happens (e.g. changing the sprites too quickly), and then avoid doing that.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Why you don't put the old TMs (at least the Gen IV ones like Focus Punch) in tm.txt?

The Sprite Repositioner (in the External Editor) was one of the things I changed to suit the new screen size. The auto-position calculations were also improved. It's very easy to use, and I assure you it works just fine.
    I don't think so. Now it can't auto-resposition well sprites with size other that 160x160.
    There any reason to the Backers in essentials be 8 points positioned under battle box?

Auto-sorting pockets may be added later.
    Tip: To make the item pc storage won't sort order too, just edit in class PCItemStorage, ItemStorageHelper.pbStoreItem to pass a new parameter, and when this parameter is pass, the itens won't be sort.

Are you asking if that's the case, or are you stating that it is the case? Regardless, I recommend that you don't have anything to do with the old versions - the new versions exist because they're better. I'm not going to try supporting older versions.
    I think that if someone didn't like some changes in essentials and wish to port some features from previous releases (like the volume thing, the overworld frame movement, the old trainer card, bordered options) or even stay in some release if someone like some of its features (like stay in version 5 if prefer 240x160) is ok, just not recommend for bugfixs.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Why you don't put the old TMs (at least the Gen IV ones like Focus Punch) in tm.txt?

I don't think so. Now it can't auto-resposition well sprites with size other that 160x160.
    There any reason to the Backers in essentials be 8 points positioned under battle box?

Tip: To make the item pc storage won't sort order too, just edit in class PCItemStorage, ItemStorageHelper.pbStoreItem to pass a new parameter, and when this parameter is pass, the itens won't be sort.

I think that if someone didn't like some changes in essentials and wish to port some features from previous releases (like the volume thing, the overworld frame movement, the old trainer card, bordered options) or even stay in some release if someone like some of its features (like stay in version 5 if prefer 240x160) is ok, just not recommend for bugfixs.
    I just didn't feel like including former TMs in tm.txt.

In the official games, back sprites are 8 pixels below the command bar. I'm just mimicking that. I did think it was weird, but there you go. I suppose it lets them "jump" around a bit more (e.g. lurching forward to do a Tackle).

What overworld frame movement? I don't even know what that means, let alone what I did to change it. And yes, people can do whatever they want with whichever version they want - all I'm saying is that they'll have a harder time if they refuse to keep up with me (not only because the bug fixes need to be found and then copied across, but also because the wiki's documentation may well change with new changes and no longer be useful to old versions).

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    I would recommend it, personally, mewlover. Like he said, it's a lot smoother/faster/more appealing. Plus, it's only going to keep getting better, so it's a good idea to keep up with updates.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Obviously I'm bound to say you should upgrade, but it really just depends on what you want. Most people would want to upgrade to get all the bug fixes, but some may not want to upgrade because they don't like a particular change to something they liked (the most notable example is the recent screen size change and GUI overhaul). Those are the main factors.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Download version 5, then. Any other option requires a huge amount of effort on your part.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Nice work Maruno, Looks good and I must say you have out done me as far as getting the graphics together and everything, Not that it was to difficult :P graphics are usually the easy part its the scripting thats harder. Nice job, cant wait to play around in it a bit more, Am currently trying to get a decent HGSS tileset compiled. I hate the game rips :/ prefer the edited ones similar to Kymotonian's work.

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Could you tell me how to make RPGMKXP work on windows vista home

I dont know if anyone answered you or not but I figured I would let you know. Also I dont think this is the correct thread for questions of this nature. Anyway youre going to install RPG XP and there should be a Desktop Icon. You right click the icon click properties. Next youre going to click the compatibility tab and then tick the box that says Run As Administrator. Now you will get a prompt every time you open it but it will works. This also works for Windows 7.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The old version font is working. I have attached in this post.
    I've just tried using your font (the old one, Power Clear), and again I find it doesn't have a space character. The gender icons are fine, but the original problem has returned.

How are you getting it to work?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Maybe its a good idea to make a "preview" of the next version content every time that you launch a new one.

Put the different language pokémon exp extra boost. To do this in PokeBattle_Battle, change line 'exp=(exp*3/2).floor if isOutsider' to

Code:
    if isOutside
      if thispoke.language!=0 && thispoke.language!=self.pbPlayer.language
        exp=(exp*3/2).floor
      else
        exp=(exp*17/10).floor
      end
    end

If you put an option to define the pokemon form in trainers.txt, in PokeBattle_Pokemon change

Code:
          # Generating move list
          movelist=[]
          for i in 0..length-1
            alevel=atkdata.fgetw
            move=atkdata.fgetw
            if alevel<=level
              movelist[movelist.length]=move
            end
          end
          atkdata.close

to

Code:
    	 # Generating move list
    	 movelist=[]
             movelistmax=self.getMoveList
             for k in movelistmax
              if k[0]<=thispoke.level   # Learned a new move
               movelist[movelist.length]=k[1]
              end
             end
    Or the pokémon with different forms movepool won't work. Maybe you need also to initialize the PokeBattle_Battle object with form.

Even if you put gender/ability in trainers.txt, if aren't all pokémon defined, they are randomized. This isn't a good thing as you can battle and lose with some trainers several times (or even specials trainer that can be battle several times) and in every battle they have a different gender/ability (this can be very noticed with some pokémon with big gender differences like Hippowdon).
    To solve this, create a formula to define this when isn't defined in trainers.txt like (trainerID+firstLetterCharacterNumber+lastLetterCharacterNumber+specieInternalNumber+partyPosition*7)%8=numberg. This numberg (that can have 0..7 values), after gender specie percentage, defines pokémon gender. For Abilities is the same thing, but you can do a numberg%2 to pick the flag.

I discovered that if the folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME' doesn't exist, the save goes to the game folder.

I just didn't feel like including former TMs in tm.txt
    I don't agree with this decision.

I've just tried using your font (the old one, Power Clear), and again I find it doesn't have a space character. The gender icons are fine, but the original problem has returned.

How are you getting it to work?
    Using an old version (04/03/10). In newer this became messed for some reason that I can't find. The first report that I fond about this is: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6123696#post6123696

Nice work Maruno, Looks good and I must say you have out done me as far as getting the graphics together and everything, Not that it was to difficult :P graphics are usually the easy part its the scripting thats harder. Nice job, cant wait to play around in it a bit more, Am currently trying to get a decent HGSS tileset compiled. I hate the game rips :/ prefer the edited ones similar to Kymotonian's work.
    This is a Spriter opinion. For me the graphics are more harder that scripts. Knowing about Maruno scripter skills, he probably thinks the same thing.

how about you add slot machines to essentials?
    here is a working version but its pretty old --> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237060&highlight=slot+machine
    im sure you guys can improve it so it becomes even better! ;)
    i loved this feature since R/B/Y and i think its an important part in any pokemon game (well BW dont have this feature <.<) =)
    I agree!

Maruno

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    how about you add slot machines to essentials?
    here is a working version but its pretty old --> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=237060&highlight=slot+machine
    im sure you guys can improve it so it becomes even better! ;)
    i loved this feature since R/B/Y and i think its an important part in any pokemon game (well BW dont have this feature <.<) =)
    Spoilers...

Maybe its a good idea to make a "preview" of the next version content every time that you launch a new one.
    You mean, say what I'll be working on next? The simplest answer is: I don't know what I'll be doing in a version when I start it. I just do what comes along.

If you put an option to define the pokemon form in trainers.txt

Or the pokémon with different forms movepool won't work. Maybe you need also to initialize the PokeBattle_Battle object with form.
    I've already thought of and taken care of the form-specific movesets when it comes to initially creating a Pokémon. Battlers will have a form property eventually, but only when I get round to dealing with move/ability/other effects that change forms.

Even if you put gender/ability in trainers.txt, if aren't all pokémon defined, they are randomized. This isn't a good thing as you can battle and lose with some trainers several times (or even specials trainer that can be battle several times) and in every battle they have a different gender/ability (this can be very noticed with some pokémon with big gender differences like Hippowdon).
    That's up to the user to deal with. I don't think I'll be setting up defaults for the trainer-owned Pokémon.

I discovered that if the folder 'C:\Users\USERNAME' doesn't exist, the save goes to the game folder.
    The wiki is right there if you've found some information that might be useful.

Using an old version (04/03/10). In newer this became messed for some reason that I can't find. The first report that I fond about this is: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6123696#post6123696
    So why did you say the older font worked, when you knew it didn't?

This is a Spriter opinion. For me the graphics are more harder that scripts. Knowing about Maruno scripter skills, he probably thinks the same thing.
    I'm good at changing existing graphics, but very bad (to the point of impossible) at creating them. The graphics update was very much a combination of graphical skills and scripting skills. I couldn't say which was harder for me to do, designing all the screens or implementing them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back