• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

This or That?

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2014
    Trying to make a core team to take on the Johto Elite Four and beyond! I've decided on several pkmn, but am stuck on deciding between Typhlosion and Kingdra or Feraligatr and something else. The other four I've decided on (for personal and winning reasons) are Espeon, Ninetales, Ampharos, and Houndoom. Maybe if I went with the Feraligatr, I'd roll with an Alakazam/Gengar/some fighting type. What would you suggest? I could just run with Typhlosion and Kingdra (along with those other four I pre-mentioned) or a Feraligatr and something else?
    Thanks for any advice!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'd go with Kingdra due to it's dragon-typing just to diversify your team and cover a greater number of types and perhaps Feraligatr (despite Kingdra already being a water type.) Considering you have a number of Pokemon that share the same type, I'd also recommend your ensure that your Pokemon learn a variety of moves from different types just to not waste move slots and for overall better coverage.

Anyway, I'm just going to move this into In-Game Team Help, where threads like these are best suited.

Good luck with your team and happy playing! :]

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    You shouldn't run Typhlosion, Ninetales, and Houndoom on the same team. All of them are weak to Water, Ground, and Rock, and Houndoom has an additional Fighting weakness. Also, all of them are primarily special sweepers. You should only have one of these three Pokemon on your team.

Feraligatr and Kingdra is a different story. Feraligatr is weak to Electric and Grass and is a physical sweeper, while Kingdra is only weak to Dragon and can be used as a special sweeper.

As for your Fighting type, I recommend Machamp, because he's really strong and he's got good abilities.

Additionally, you could get yourself a Tangrowth if you're playing Heart Gold or Soul Silver. If not, you could go with Victreebel.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Trying to make a core team to take on the Johto Elite Four and beyond! I've decided on several pkmn, but am stuck on deciding between Typhlosion and Kingdra or Feraligatr and something else. The other four I've decided on (for personal and winning reasons) are Espeon, Ninetales, Ampharos, and Houndoom. Maybe if I went with the Feraligatr, I'd roll with an Alakazam/Gengar/some fighting type. What would you suggest? I could just run with Typhlosion and Kingdra (along with those other four I pre-mentioned) or a Feraligatr and something else?
    Thanks for any advice!

Hey!

With Ninetales and Houndoom as part of your troupe already, it would seem really redundant to include a Typhlosion, as he won't really bring anything new to the fold apart from being..a better Ninetales. I would go for Kingdra > Feraligatr too, you gain that dragon STAB which can help you out in a few places and he can pack a huge punch just by using a moveset of Rain Dance / Dragon Pulse / Surf / Filler, if you don't mind not being able to use your team's fire STABs effectively for 5 turns.

For your fighting type I would probably recommend Heracross, as I do for everyone playing in Johto haha. While Machamp is bulkier than Heracross, Heracross is faster and gets Close Combat at lv37, meaning it'll actually deal more damage than Champ in terms of their respective fighting moves. He also learn Megahorn and Night Slash naturally or via heart scale, so you have another backup for Psychic mons.

Good Luck!

Back