• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Advanced Series "Data is not LZ77 Compressed"

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 8, 2016
I added 30 Pokemon using G3HS, but when I go to edit their sprites with Advanced Series Sprite Editor, as soon as I open my ROM, I get an error message saying "Data is not LZ77 compressed". I know I need to edit the ini file, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
I added 30 Pokemon using G3HS, but when I go to edit their sprites with Advanced Series Sprite Editor, as soon as I open my ROM, I get an error message saying "Data is not LZ77 compressed". I know I need to edit the ini file, but I'm not sure how. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I have never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure you just expand the number under 'TotalSpecies' with the new amount of Pokémon you've added. For example the current number there will be 440, I'd assume you just replace that with 470 being that you added 30 new Pokémon. However, you may have repointed all of the tables in order to fit the new Pokémon, and if that is the case you would need to find those table offsets and replace the ones that are currently in the ini.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 8, 2016
I have never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure you just expand the number under 'TotalSpecies' with the new amount of Pokémon you've added. For example the current number there will be 440, I'd assume you just replace that with 470 being that you added 30 new Pokémon. However, you may have repointed all of the tables in order to fit the new Pokémon, and if that is the case you would need to find those table offsets and replace the ones that are currently in the ini.

I did not repoint any other data. I also adjusted the species number, but nothing fixed.

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
I did not repoint any other data. I also adjusted the species number, but nothing fixed.

I don't understand how you expanded the table without moving anything.. There is no free space between tables.

--EDIT--
Found this post by doesntknowhowtoplay: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318569
This is exacty how karatekid did it for his hacking suite (scroll down 2 posts and you can see that he says it). As you can see A TON of repointing is done. You would have needed to have kept track of the new offsets. From there you would replace them with the old fields in the ini.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 8, 2016
I don't understand how you expanded the table without moving anything.. There is no free space between tables.

--EDIT--
Found this post by doesntknowhowtoplay: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=318569
This is exacty how karatekid did it for his hacking suite (scroll down 2 posts and you can see that he says it). As you can see A TON of repointing is done. You would have needed to have kept track of the new offsets. From there you would replace them with the old fields in the ini.

Thank you. As always, you are a huge help!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
That tool helped a lot! However, there is one offset that I can't find for the life of me. The Species Names.

Open up a clean ROM in your hex editor and navigate to the start of the Species Names. Copy as many bytes as you can from the beginning. Open up your ROM in another hex editor and search for that byte sequence. As long as you didn't rename the earlier entries, you should be able to find it this way (if I'm not horribly wrong or thinking of something else).

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Open up a clean ROM in your hex editor and navigate to the start of the Species Names. Copy as many bytes as you can from the beginning. Open up your ROM in another hex editor and search for that byte sequence. As long as you didn't rename the earlier entries, you should be able to find it this way (if I'm not horribly wrong or thinking of something else).

Guys common. Open up G3HS's ini called 'PokeRoms'. Go to the last entry of offsets, those are the new ones. Copy those offsets to Advanced series' ini. This should work fine, I've just tested. For the species number at the bottom just put whatever was originally there + the amount added, so 470. Its all as simple as that. :P

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 8, 2016
Guys common. Open up G3HS's ini called 'PokeRoms'. Go to the last entry of offsets, those are the new ones. Copy those offsets to Advanced series' ini. This should work fine, I've just tested. For the species number at the bottom just put whatever was originally there + the amount added, so 470. Its all as simple as that. :P

OMG I'M AN IDIOT

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jun 11, 2017
I got same message but i just downloaded my rom and didnt edit anything so wha im doing wrong?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 28, 2018
Ehy guys.. someone have an ini file for fire red ita? i can't edit the sprites of my Pokemon. pls help me

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 15, 2018
I have a similar problem, but I didnt add any pokemon to the ROM only changed some colors of some pokemon.
I am using Nameless Sprite Editor and it opens up and everything works until I try to open the sprite of one of those pokemon. The others dont seem to have such a problem. If I am ingame and try to use that pokemon in my virtualboy the game freezes.
When I look at it in game the colrs are totally wrong.
I saved the palette in a new free space tho.
Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance.

Back