• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which games to buy?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    Hi there, sorry if this question gets asked a lot. I am new to the forums here (hello!) and new to Pokemon in general. Currently, I only have Pokemon Fire Red, and I am enjoying it immensely.

Here's my question, though. I'm planning on eventually grabbing some of the DS and 3DS titles, and I am wondering if there are a lot of repeated Pokemon across the games, or does each game offer a unique distribution of Pokemon?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out which games to buy that will offer the most unique experiences so it doesn't feel like I'm repeating a bunch of stuff. Here is what I am eventually planning on picking up:

pokemon soulsilver/heartgold (not sure which one yet)
    pokemon white
    pokemon black 2
    pokemon alpha sapphire
    pokemon Y
    pokemon sun

Will that give me a good exposure to all the Pokemon, or are there are lots of repeats across those games?

Again, sorry if this gets asked a lot. I'm literally overwhelmed with the amount of choice this series provides, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great night!

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Pokemon Y gives you fundamental about mega evolution and I heard Sun and Moon will have those Z-moves also alola forms, the night time visual differences. AS seems good with story and post-game than Y and Sun also enjoyable with many new starters to throw with and trials are different than main series about gyms

Years
  • Tbh, those games give you a fantastic experience of the Pokemon world and each offers something new and exciting. I would recommend getting Emerald instead of Alpha Sapphire, but I am slightly biased and AS is still really good, it's just Emerald is amazing imo.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Out of all the games you mentioned, I highly recommend HGSS and Y. They are my personal favs of the games you mentioned and they are also worth playing too. AS would be a decent option as well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. After thinking about it, I'm going to skip the newer generations because the cost of admission (buying a 3DS and the new game) is too high. I'll fiddle around with DS titles, because they are easy enough to find on eBay. Again, thanks so much for the help!

Dusbusk

Shiny Searcher
    Years
  • Even tho its not in your list of what you are planning to buy I would recommend you one of my favourite Pokemon Games:
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky.
    In my eyes, simply a masterpiece. Great music, an astonishing story and the gameplay, after you get used to it is alot of fun.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Sky is the same as "Explorers of Darkness /Time", but has alot of more content+ Extra stories,therefore I would recommend it the most since it clears some open answers from Darkness/Time.
    (Back when I played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon "Explorers of Darkness" I was just overwhelmed by this game. I was a kid at that time and it many points of the game I just cried, then I laughed, then raged(One of the few games that made me cry like baby) . Even today I still get a goose bumbs when playing the game and its one of my favourite games of all time ))

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    Wow, I logged onto PC this morning to ask almost the same question lol. I'm a 90's kid and so gen 1 is near and dear to my heart. idk how many times I've played RBY/FRLG but by and large they are my biggest exposure to Pokemon gaming.

I did also own GSC as well as RSE and I know I beat them when I was younger, but I couldn't tell you a fraction of what to do/where to go next in those games compared to me knowing Kanto like the back of my hand.

Sorry to drag you back to this thread, but I have a question that is best answered by a mod. Although this OP is similar to what I was going to ask, I was also going to see what people's opinions were about originals vs remakes. So while this thread is more so talking about which version of each gen to play to avoid repeated Pokemon, I want to ask people if they would recommend HGSS instead of GSC and ORAS instead of RSE. Essentially, do you think I have a different enough question to warrant its own thread or is it too close to this one?

Also, since AS is a remake of the gen 3 games, shouldn't goggles play that after SS? They are also missing a DPPt game in the list; it looks like they are considering SS as their gen 4 game when (in my opinion) it should be counted as their gen 2. My take on how to do a full-gen playthrough would be FRLG>HGSS>ORAS>DPPt>BW>B2W2>XY>SM (and this is essentially the core of what my thread would be asking)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    The reason why I advocated against HGSS is mostly because of how difficult they are to find, and how expensive they are, generally.
    I guess 1 thing I didn't mention was that I will be playing ROMs that I definitely acquired legally... nothing to see here FBI... on emulators, so the availability isn't an issue for me. (although a google search of "buy pokemon heart gold english" is showing ebay results of $15-$30 for HG and SS combos, though I can't speak to the authenticity)

I might have been a little vague on my overall plan. Since I've played gen I countless times (and I'm counting FRLG as gen I) I want to play a game from each generation in order. So while goggle's list is fairly encompassing, I want to play in the specific sequence and so that's where the "originals vs. remakes" question comes in. Basically do people consider playing HGSS as having played a gen II game?

On checking my files and searching online, I realized that there isn't A) a 3DS emulator that can play Pokemon without having a physical 3DS to dump certain files, nor B) non-sketchy XY or ORAS ROMs available. So it looks like my plan of attack will be as follows:
    Gen I: FR (already played)
    Gen II: HG
    Gen III: E
    Gen IV: Pt
    Gen V: BW, B2W2 (not sure which color I'll choose, but I have time to decide)

Then call it good, until I feel like buying a 3DS, XY, maybe ORAS (not really necessary since I'll have played Emerald again), and SM

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2016
    I recommend the first and the third one. I played the second and the fourth but it is not interested me at all. however, it is up to you. then give me some feedback about these games, is that ok?
    thank you

Back