• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Name Change Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • I am very sad about this. Name Changes seemed to be a major part of the forum. But, as many have said before me, if they have to go they have to go. I just hope PC prospers in the absence of the Name Changes.

I'm sorry, but this post made me facepalm...epically.

PC existed for at least three years before the staff started allowing regular name changes (before then, it was reserved for people that made minor typos when registering). It's not exactly what I would call a major part of the community...and people who abuse this service for the sake of making short-term themes instead of contemplating their long-term alias have been the ones causing all the damage to the server, not to mention confusing the hell out of the rest of us. >_<

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Anyone got the link to the full list of members, want to see if the names I'm thinking of are taken, all I found down the bottom was members online.
    Here is the link to the full Member's List. You could also use the Search Members function to the right. It'll make your searching through page after page a lot faster, as I'm sure no one would like to go through that many pages in search for a few names. o.O

I'm actually contemplating if I would like to change my name, but more than likely it won't happen. I guess being given the option would always tempt one in doing so (like me ;_;), with the feature there, there are people who take use in it, but some just abuse it terribly. :| I'm just glad I won't have to deal with anymore confusion in names. >_>; That's one thing I won't miss I guess, other than the obvious errors PC's been having because of it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Another option is to take this link and replace *text* with the name of the account you want to look up. It should bring you to their profile whether they have 0 posts or are banned.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?username=name-goes-here

:3

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I'm sorry, but this post made me facepalm...epically.

PC existed for at least three years before the staff started allowing regular name changes (before then, it was reserved for people that made minor typos when registering). It's not exactly what I would call a major part of the community...and people who abuse this service for the sake of making short-term themes instead of contemplating their long-term alias have been the ones causing all the damage to the server, not to mention confusing the hell out of the rest of us. >_<

My sentiments exactly. While having name changes was indeed a fun and great perk while it lasted, the forum is simply too large to support it now. I've had several name changes myself admittedly, but I've never been a fan of changing it. I always thought my name changes out and announced them via my blog.

As such, I'll be changing my name for the final time to the one name everyone seemed to like. See my blog for details.

The way I see it, if we do bring back name changes in the future, they should either be a reward for something and/or cost a certain amount of money.
    Other than that, name changes should definitely not be common, even if they come back. By charging money for name changes, we can (hopefully) somewhat alleviate the load it puts on the servers

Last edited:

WonderGirl

Bye bye :(
    Years
  • The way I see it, if we do bring back name changes in the future, they should either be a reward for something and/or cost a certain amount of money.
    Other than that, name changes should definitely not be common, even if they come back. By charging money for name changes, we can (hopefully) somewhat alleviate the load it puts on the servers

Who would pay money to get a name change? If you mean that people who donated are allowed to, then ok, but not pay a certain amount just to get a name change.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    [Rukario]actually we'll put up a maintenance page that should display even if the server is hammered/database is overloaded.

Can't say much for the other mysql users on this box, including PC's Oekaki.. they'll experience some outages as well[/Rukario]

Would you be able to give a clear announcement in advance what time you staff will turn the forums off and what time you would reopen? :\

Last edited:

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    Hmm...doesn't changing your avatar or/and your signature do the same thing as changing your name?

On a side note, I've never changed my name, my avatar or my sig even once. Because of this, everybody thinks I love Espeon...I'm just too lazy to change it. =P

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
  • I have a question regarding the final name change: The username I want is already taken by a permanently banned member, and I was wondering if I could get that name seeing as how this is the last time we'll be allowed to change our usernames? :(

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Hmm...doesn't changing your avatar or/and your signature do the same thing as changing your name?

Actually, something on those lines came up in my head a bit.

Your status, location, signature, avatar, etc... anything that is shown on your post has peripherally. As Audi explained a few pages ago, that is in one location and recalled as necessary.

So why can't usernames act the same way? Be stored in one location, one single instance, and be recalled as necessary per page downloads? I don't see what harm that would be.

Cherrim

Years
  • Can you change my name to Final Destination? Thanks
    No.
    Actually, something on those lines came up in my head a bit.

Your status, location, signature, avatar, etc... anything that is shown on your post has peripherally. As Audi explained a few pages ago, that is in one location and recalled as necessary.

So why can't usernames act the same way? Be stored in one location, one single instance, and be recalled as necessary per page downloads? I don't see what harm that would be.
    Yeah, some parts of the postbit act that way, but Audy explained why usernames don't in this post:

Most tables do both. In the case of the post table, most of the user information is pulled from the user table for each one via a joined query. However, every row in the post table also keeps the user's username stored as well, and the reason is two-fold.

Firstly, though on PC we don't allow it, many vBulletin forums allow guests to make posts and enter a name for themselves. In that case there's no place to pull that name from unless it's stored in the post table as well. Secondly, when an account is deleted on the forums, the posts remain behind and the user's name is still stored along with them.

There are other tables that store the information separately for things like most recent reply, etc., but the explanation for those is a bit more complicated so I won't get into it.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    T~T i also have a question lol.

The username I currently want is taken but by a user who never posted and his/her's last login date was 2008...

Andrea-chan

~In the shadows~
    Years
  • requested final name ~Gary~

thanx for sparring ur precious time for me
    You've already posted in the right name change thread, why are you wasting our precious time by posting in this thread with the name requesting? Heck why are you even posting in this thread if you're not going to take the time to read the first post?

T~T i also have a question lol.

The username I currently want is taken but by a user who never posted and his/her's last login date was 2008...
    Chances are the Staff won't delete the account. But what's the account name?

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    The account name is Bly.And the other name i was thinking of was Gemini which tht persons last login date was 2009...

Cherrim

Years
  • THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR REQUESTING NAME CHANGES.

Size 5 text because several people seem to be missing that. Despite also requesting a change in the actual change thread. :|

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR REQUESTING NAME CHANGES.

Size 5 text because several people seem to be missing that. Despite also requesting a change in the actual change thread. :|
    Lol.Sooo what about my question?lol i know the name will be denied but y'know..Wanna ask lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back