• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Garchomp

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years

About the Team
Team Garchomp is centered around Mega Garchomp. I tend to work very well with this particular garchomp. This is a team made for the Uber Tier.

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Overheat
- Psyshock

Arceus-Fairy is the main special sweeper of the team

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
Darkrai is the secondary special sweeper having Dark Void to help set up

Yveltal
Ability: Dark Aura
- Acrobatics
- Oblivion Wing
- Steel Wing
- Sky Attack

Yveltal is the secondary physical attacker who can do some heavy damage to fairy types.

Garchomp (F) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly
Nature
- Outrage
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab

Garchomp is the centre of the team and can also mega evolve. She is the main physical attacker of the team. Able to attack fairies as well.

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Lax
Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Fortress is the spinner for the team. Is up for a replacement for a better spinner.

Trevenant (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Mild
Nature
- Calm Mind
- Poison Jab
- Destiny Bond
- Dark Pulse

Trevanant is a distaraction. Is up for a replacement.

Please rate my team and help me improve it. Please bold changes so i know what you change. I am 3-2 with this team in ubers.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

About the Team
Team Garchomp is centered around Mega Garchomp. I tend to work very well with this particular garchomp. This is a team made for the Uber Tier.

Overheat makes Arceus waste away the Special Attack boosts it gained with Calm Mind:
-Calm Mind
-Judgment
-Thunder/Will-o-Wisp/Psyshock
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Pixie Plate

or
-Judgment
-Defog
-Toxic/Will-o-Wisp
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/144 Def/112 Spe
Item: Pixie Plate

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
Darkrai is the secondary special sweeper having Dark Void to help set up

Shiny Yveltal is illegal, as Yveltal is shiny-locked in X/Y. Also, Yveltal isn't meant to be a physical attacker, despite the equal offenses; Acrobatics is worthless with Flying Gem unavailable in X/Y. Without Sandstorm support from Tyranitar or Hippowdon, Garchomp's Sand Force is useless. Tyranitar or Hippowdon have to be on the team as a result:

Hippowdon:
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock/Toxic
-Whirlwind
-Slack Off
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream

Tyranitar:
-Crunch/Payback
-Pursuit
-Low Kick/Superpower
-Fire Blast/Stone Edge/Stealth Rock
Nature: Sassy/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/76 Atk/180 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Assault Vest

or
-Crunch/Payback
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Low Kick
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/64 Atk/192 SDef
Item: Choice Band

A neutral Earthquake does almost as much as a 2x super effective Poison Jab. Poison Jab isn't worth it in the end. Watch:
-neutral STAB Earthquake: 100 x 1.5 = 150
-2x supereffective unSTABed Poison Jab: 80 x 2 =160

The power difference isn't that notable. My other gripe about your Garchomp build is that it lacks Ground (and Rock/Steel) moves to take advantage of Sand Force:
-Earthquake
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Stone Edge
Nature: Rash/Mild
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Garchompite

One of the possible roles Arceus can take is a Defogger (clears away hazards on both sides), so I don't think Forretress should be on the team. I'll suggest Dialga because it's a good way to let you check Fairies better And why are you using Flash Cannon on Forretress, who has lackluster Special Attack?:
-Stealth Rock
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Flash Cannon/Dragon Tail/Roar
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/56 SAtk/200 SDef

or
-Draco Meteor
-Flash Cannon
-Fire Blast
-Thunder/Toxic/Sleep Talk
Nature: Modest/Timid
EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Spe or 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid only)
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs/Adamant Orb/Choice Scarf (last one Timid only)

What the heck is Trevenant doing in an Uber team? It's pretty much outclassed by the other spin blockers there, i.e. Giratina (Altered and Origin). Even if this was an OU team, I don't like the set; why is Dark Pulse even on there when it doesn't even get STAB on it, yet it gets STAB on Shadow Claw and Phantom Force, which run off of its significantly higher Attack?. Anyway, use Giratina (either form) over Trevenant:

Altered:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Dragon Tail/Roar
-Will-o-Wisp
Nature: Impish/Bold/Careful/Calm
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef (Impish/Bold) or 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef (Careful/Calm)
Ability: Pressure

Origin:
-Defog
-Shadow Sneak
-Dragon Tail
-Will-o-Wisp/Earthquake/Stone Edge
EVs: 252 Atk/248 Def/8 SDef
Item: Griseous Orb

or
-Draco Meteor
-Shadow Sneak
-Dragon Tail
-Toxic/Defog
Nature: Rash
EVs: 180 Atk/252 SAtk/76 Spe
Item: Griseous Orb

Please rate my team and help me improve it. Please bold changes so i know what you change. I am 3-2 with this team in ubers.

Comments/changes in bold.

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years
Comments/changes in bold.

Arceus has Overheat to counter the steel pokemon that it comes across.

I have poison jab to take care of the fairies on garchomp because he ends up facing a fairy.

Yveltal isn't illegal it allows me to use it in PS. So far my Yveltal is doing good as of right now.

other than that thanks for the help

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Arceus has Overheat to counter the steel pokemon that it comes across.

I have poison jab to take care of the fairies on garchomp because he ends up facing a fairy.

Yveltal isn't illegal it allows me to use it in PS. So far my Yveltal is doing good as of right now.

other than that thanks for the help

1. Did you not read about what I said about Overheat's side effect of dropping Special Attack? It's such a waste to use on a Calm Mind booster, and CM Fairy Arceus needs Recover to sustain itself throughout battle.

2. The unavailability of Flying Gem takes physical Yveltal out of the equation. You need Tyranitar or Hippowdon on the team; otherwise, having Mega Garchomp is pointless.

3. Did you even see the calculations of the base powers of Earthquake and Poison Jab? The power difference isn't notable and a Sand Force-boosted STAB Earthquake actually outdamages a 2x super effective Poison Jab. Read:
-Earthquake: 100 x 1.5 x 1.3 = 195 base power
-Poison Jab: 80 x 2 = 160 base power.

Not worth it. That, and Garchomp is badly walled by Steel Pokemon with your current set.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
i have sword dance and i don't use weather in gen 6. i also have outrage to take care

Steels still resists Dragon and most have enough Defense to take a +2 Outrage and strike back. Being locked into Outrage is detrimental because you'll end up as fodder for Fairy and Steel Pokemon. You still need Earthquake to muscle past Steels if you want to have a clean shot with Mega Garchomp. Refer to the Mega Garchomp set I posted for the best possible coverage.

Even with the weather nerf, Mega Garchomp still needs Sandstorm support to function at its best.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Where to begin....

For Fairy Arceus, either use the EV spreads Platinum suggested or use this: 252 Sp.Atack, 252 Speed, 4 HP. Arceus NEEDS speed investment. It would also like Recover, and if Steels worry you, Fire Blast is the superior alternative to Overheat; that Sp.Attack drop is not something you want on Arceus.

Since this is "Team Garchomp" you very much need Tyranitar or Hippowdon on the team. The boost from Sand Force (which requires a sandstorm to activate) makes Mega Garchomp's Ground and Rock attacks incredibly powerful. You want all the power you can get in Ubers.

There's also the issue of its moveset. Your current one wastes MegaChomp's potential. 2 Dragon attacks are uneccessary; more coverage is needed. You can either use Platinum's wallbreaker set, or you can use this:

-Mega Garchomp w/Garchompite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Swords Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge

Poison Jab has no use on Garchomp in Ubers; the move gets walled by Steels, and as Platinum pointed out, does only slightly more damage than a non-Sand Force Earthquake and is outdamaged by a Sand Force Earthquake. Ground gets good coverage by itself, and their's only 2 Fairy types in the Uber tier: Xerneas and Arceus Fairy, neither of which Garchomp can handle all that well. Stone Edge is for hitting Ho-oh and Lugia, both of which are very serious threats, very hard.

Physical Yveltal would be cool if Flying Gem existed in X/Y, but it doesn't. So you'll wanna use this:

-Yveltal w/Life Orb
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 attack
Moves: Oblivion Wing, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Sucker Punch

or if you insist on a physical set, try this (success not guranteed):

-Yveltal w/Life Orb
EVs: 252 attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Hone Claws, Dragon Rush, Sucker Punch/Steel Wing, Oblivion Wing

There's also the issue of having 2 Dark types on your team. And since you need to have Tyranitar/Hippowdon on the team, either Yveltal or Darkrai must go.

As for a spinner/defogger, you could use the stuff Platinum posted, but I was thinking that you could use the old Sand Rush Excadrill since you'll have the sand up anyway.

-Excadrill w/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moves: Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Swords Dance

And to replace Trevenant, you can go with one of the Giratina forms, or something to deal with Palkia and Kyogre (the main water types of the tier) since Garchomp and your Sand summoner aren't fond of Water and Ice, and its good to have something for those 2 anyway. Ferrothorn and Choice Scarf Zekrom handle them fairly well.

-Ferrothorn w/Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP, 40 attack, 208 Sp.Defense
Moves: Spikes, Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave/Protect

Set the Speed IVs to zero if using Gyro Ball, and don't use Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave together

-Zekrom w/Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
Moves: Bolt Strike, Outrage/Dragon Claw, Volt Switch, filler

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Where to begin....

For Fairy Arceus, either use the EV spreads Platinum suggested or use this: 252 Sp.Atack, 252 Speed, 4 HP. Arceus NEEDS speed investment. It would also like Recover, and if Steels worry you, Fire Blast is the superior alternative to Overheat; that Sp.Attack drop is not something you want on Arceus.

Since this is "Team Garchomp" you very much need Tyranitar or Hippowdon on the team. The boost from Sand Force (which requires a sandstorm to activate) makes Mega Garchomp's Ground and Rock attacks incredibly powerful. You want all the power you can get in Ubers.

There's also the issue of its moveset. Your current one wastes MegaChomp's potential. 2 Dragon attacks are uneccessary; more coverage is needed. You can either use Platinum's wallbreaker set, or you can use this:

-Mega Garchomp w/Garchompite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Swords Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge

Poison Jab has no use on Garchomp in Ubers; the move gets walled by Steels, and as Platinum pointed out, does only slightly more damage than a non-Sand Force Earthquake and is outdamaged by a Sand Force Earthquake. Ground gets good coverage by itself, and their's only 2 Fairy types in the Uber tier: Xerneas and Arceus Fairy, neither of which Garchomp can handle all that well. Stone Edge is for hitting Ho-oh and Lugia, both of which are very serious threats, very hard.

Physical Yveltal would be cool if Flying Gem existed in X/Y, but it doesn't. So you'll wanna use this:

-Yveltal w/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 attack
Moves: Oblivion Wing, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Sucker Punch

or if you insist on a physical set, try this (success not guranteed):

-Yveltal w/Life Orb
EVs: 252 attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Hone Claws, Dragon Rush, Steel Wing, Oblivion Wing

There's also the issue of having 2 Dark types on your team. And since you need to have Tyranitar/Hippowdon on the team, either Yveltal or Darkrai must go.

As for a spinner/defogger, you could use the stuff Platinum posted, but I was thinking that you could use the old Sand Rush Excadrill since you'll have the sand up anyway.

-Excadrill w/Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Moves: Rapid Spin, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Swords Dance

And to replace Trevenant, you can go with one of the Giratina forms, or something to deal with Palkia and Kyogre (the main water types of the tier) since Garchomp and your Sand summoner aren't fond of Water and Ice, and its good to have something for those 2 anyway. Ferrothorn and Choice Scarf Zekrom handle them fairly well.

-Ferrothorn w/Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP, 40 attack, 208 Sp.Defense
Moves: Spikes, Power Whip/Gyro Ball, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave/Protect

Set the Speed IVs to zero if using Gyro Ball, and don't use Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave together

-Zekrom w/Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp.Defense
Moves: Bolt Strike, Outrage/Dragon Claw, Volt Switch, filler
Regarding your suggestion for physical Yveltal, you do realize that it gets Sucker Punch, right? Right now, you suggestion doesn't benefit from its own Dark Aura ability.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Regarding your suggestion for physical Yveltal, you do realize that it gets Sucker Punch, right? Right now, you suggestion doesn't benefit from its own Dark Aura ability.

Derp, I knew I was forgetting something. And I had put Sucker punch on the other set too. Not like I really recommend that physical set anyway....

Paige Berlitz

HAPPY SAINT PATTIES DAY
Years
well I didnt change really anything but Trevanant and after that change i went undefeated in the main server but i got off the main server cause I was lagging. But then I scrapped the team for a different Uber team which is a lot better. And Fire Blast has a higher chance of missing than OverHeat and I switch out after an Overheat.

Back