• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favorite year for personal advancement

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
  • Welp. Since no one seems interested in the subject this thread was about, I will change it to what all of you are talking about.

What year did you have the most success in your personal gaming life.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I honestly think my best year for gaming was 2016, I haven't had a year where there's been so many of the video games series I love all come out. Skyrim SE, Dishonored 2, Final Fantasy XV, Pokemon Sun and Moon, last year was amazing for gaming.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    Oh my this is such a hard thing to answer ^-^.

One of the best years was 2012, when my oldest brother gave me his old DS and I played Animal Crossing for the first time.

2015 was very nice for me too. I played many Tales Of games and that made it my favorite franchise. I remember playing Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, both Symphonias, Abyss, and Graces throughout the year. Had tons of fun ^-^.

Arsenic

Years
  • I honestly think my best year for gaming was 2016, I haven't had a year where there's been so many of the video games series I love all come out. Skyrim SE, Dishonored 2, Final Fantasy XV, Pokemon Sun and Moon, last year was amazing for gaming.

2016 was an alright year for gaming with me. Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, and the best game of the year Forza Horizon 3. I am looking forward to 2017.

Oh my this is such a hard thing to answer ^-^.

One of the best years was 2012, when my oldest brother gave me his old DS and I played Animal Crossing for the first time.

2015 was very nice for me too. I played many Tales Of games and that made it my favorite franchise. I remember playing Tales of Xillia 1 and 2, both Symphonias, Abyss, and Graces throughout the year. Had tons of fun ^-^.

I was more aiming this at a less personal, and more industry opinion (ala which year was the best for new releases) but that's cool too. I've still never played Animal Crossing. I don't think I will probably ever play any of the tales games due to what is not just being called my "Japan Bias". I'm glad you enjoyed those years though : D

Nero

I like it.
    Years
  • My favourite year in video games is probably 1998. We had the beginnings of some really great game series, like the english Pokemon Red & Blue, Half-Life, Spyro, and some of my personal all-time favourites like Banjo-Kazooie and Metal Gear Solid. There were plenty of good sequels too, I remember spending a lot of my time playing stuff like F-Zero X and Gex: EtG. I should probably throw Ocarina of Time in here somewhere too.

More recently, I'd have to say 2010 takes my second place. There were some really great games that year, and a lot of them ended up becoming some of my favourites, like MGS: Peace Walker, Halo Reach, Fallout: New Vegas and Super Mario Galaxy 2. There were plenty of others I really enjoyed that are classics now, games such as Mass Effect 2, CoD: Black Ops, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, DKC Returns, and Bayonetta (although that was released in Japan 2009).

There's plenty of games I didn't list, but those are the ones that really stood out to me. I sunk so many hours as a kid into my N64, and '98 produced not all, but a lot of my favourite games of the era. 2010 may have had some incredible games too, but it can't compare to the impact 1998 had on my life.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think this is both on a personal and industrial level, because it was the year I paid most attention to games being released and subsequently played the most - 2013 was a good year for me; it was the year of GTAV, The Last of Us, Papers Please, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Stanley Parable, The Wolf Among Us, Pokemon XY and so, so many more games I enjoyed that year, both indie and AAA.

Arsenic

Years
  • Played so many games last year... Fallout 4, Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV just to name a few of MANY.

More looking at which year had the best/favorite releases. I've yet to play Uncharted 4 (or 3, or 2). I also don't see myself playing FF but different strokes for different folks. I'm glad you got the backlog down quite a bit last year though lots of great games coming out still.

My favourite year in video games is probably 1998. We had the beginnings of some really great game series, like the english Pokemon Red & Blue, Half-Life, Spyro, and some of my personal all-time favourites like Banjo-Kazooie and Metal Gear Solid. There were plenty of good sequels too, I remember spending a lot of my time playing stuff like F-Zero X and Gex: EtG. I should probably throw Ocarina of Time in here somewhere too.

More recently, I'd have to say 2010 takes my second place. There were some really great games that year, and a lot of them ended up becoming some of my favourites, like MGS: Peace Walker, Halo Reach, Fallout: New Vegas and Super Mario Galaxy 2. There were plenty of others I really enjoyed that are classics now, games such as Mass Effect 2, CoD: Black Ops, Heavy Rain, Red Dead Redemption, DKC Returns, and Bayonetta (although that was released in Japan 2009).

There's plenty of games I didn't list, but those are the ones that really stood out to me. I sunk so many hours as a kid into my N64, and '98 produced not all, but a lot of my favourite games of the era. 2010 may have had some incredible games too, but it can't compare to the impact 1998 had on my life.

1998 was a great year for gaming (Half-Life steals the cake for that year)! Of course R&B were great releases as well and we wouldn't be here without them! 2010 is also a great year, I dont even know how many hours I've sunken into New Vegas and oh god double that with Halo: Reach!

All-in-all I'm happy to hear 1998 had such a positive impact on your life! Video games are a very powerful tool and can do and say a lot!

I think this is both on a personal and industrial level, because it was the year I paid most attention to games being released and subsequently played the most - 2013 was a good year for me; it was the year of GTAV, The Last of Us, Papers Please, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Stanley Parable, The Wolf Among Us, Pokemon XY and so, so many more games I enjoyed that year, both indie and AAA.

Haha GTAV I play too much of that with Archy! The Last of Us is also a fantastic game (and is _way_ better at representing boston than FO4 btw ;] ) I havent played PP or ATOTS. The Stanley Parable is a fantastic game as well and I could listen to Kevan Brighting talk all day (P.S it actually released in 2011 as a mod ;] ). TWAU was a fantastic series and I am so very happy I stuck out the whole thing. I kinda wish they made another season I wanted more after Episode 5! I can't say much about X&Y as I kinda skipped over it : (

I'm really liking all the replies this thread is getting keep em' coming!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Even though 2016 was probably my most successful year...

2012-2013, for sure. Because I first touched Zero Escape with 999 and continued with Virtue's Last Reward and Kiseki with First Chapter. Despite playing ZTD and FC + SC EVO in 2016, the first moments are always the most special.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • A couple:

2005, 2013, and 2016

2005 - This was the year that I learned how to play the Warcraft 3 custom map called Defense of the Ancients or popularly known as DotA. Of course, this would be the very game that would shape an entire new "genre". In my experience at least, this was the year that I started to fully enjoy the "DotA" experience were i finally have found a multiplayer game that I would enjoy, carry, and share to the rest of my friends as well.

2013 - was my first foray into playing Solo queue Ranked in League of Legends and I did fairly well, reaching on a rather high end of the ladder on my very first try in climbing the ranked ladder in said game (Diamond 1). Also, while climbing up in Solo queue, in between certain days, me and my friends would play some Ranked 5s and we did fairly well, enough for our 5s team to have some seriously painful matches when we had to be queued up against higher tiered 5's teams. All in all, 2013 in League was Season 3, my favorite Season, since its where i felt that the game was at its finest and most balanced state as far as i could remember with such a wide variety of items that people never really used or took advantage before they were eventually removed (RIP Zephyr), also Season 3 was the last season to have the famous Atmas Impaler + Warmogs + Trinity Force item combo that made playing Melee Fighters so much fun. Only Season 5 (2015) in League comes as close as being as balanced and as diverse as Season 3 League was.

2016 - mainly for the delicious library of games that this year with. Also, for the funny controversies and lulz that i made fun off.

nundo

Quick! Dance like an eggplant!
    Years
  • 2007, back when I discovered FF7:Crisis Core, one of the best games I've ever played. The cinematics and gameplay were amazing and a lot of people consider it as one of the best games PSP has ever had. Also Metroid Prime for the Wii was so enjoyable, same with Assassins Creed on the PS3 and Motorstorm.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    2016 for sure. It sucked everywhere else, but I got into so many franchises.
    I got fire emblem fates which got me addicted to fire emblem, I got Bravely default and Bravely second which I still need to finish, but oh well, I finished up my gen 6 collection, I got Pokemon Sun, I got every elder scrolls game on PC, overall it was just an amazing year.

Pokemon Sun is easily my favorite pokemon game now.

Also, a lot of games came out that I didn't get, but that overall look really good, notably FF XV.

Back