• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any ideas how to fix my team?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2021
    So I just now got into competitive Pokemon and I made a team out of my six favorite Pokemon. I haven't been doing too well, and that may be because I'm just not good enough lol, but it could also be my team. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

Torterra @ Leftovers
    Ability: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Wood Hammer
    - Synthesis
    - Earthquake

Lapras @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Ice Beam

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Tangled Feet
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Heat Wave
    - Boomburst
    - U-turn

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
    Ability: Competitive
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Protect
    - Wish
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hyper Voice

Umbreon @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Foul Play
    - Taunt
    - Yawn

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - Haze

My strategy is to always start with torterra and use stealth rock. Torterra typically goes down quickly, and so does Lapras. I'm willing to completely swap them out, but the other four have been far more useful to me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Gen 7 anything goes

That's probably part of the reason why you're having trouble

AG isn't really a metagame so much as it is a place for Mega Rayquaza to live, and lacks a lot of the rules put in places to cut out bullshit. You'd be better off trying OU, or the lowest tier all 6 of your Pokémon are allowed in

Years
  • Yeah, that team would struggle even in OU. In AG you're going to get obliterated pretty much every time for the reasons Nah already went over.

I would strongly suggest you look into the different tiers and what is prevalent in each of them, then decide which to play from there. You'll have a much easier time using Pokemon that actually have a place in the meta you're trying to play.

Years
  • This team even kind of gets rolled in UU to be honest. If you want to use these Mons, play in RU? Your highest tier mon here is Umbreon in RU and it might have a chance there. Also, is there a specific tier you want to play in? Knowing that will make it easier to help you build a team using some of these mons.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So I just now got into competitive Pokemon and I made a team out of my six favorite Pokemon. I haven't been doing too well, and that may be because I'm just not good enough lol, but it could also be my team. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

Torterra @ Leftovers
    Ability: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Wood Hammer
    - Synthesis
    - Earthquake

Lapras @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Ice Beam

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Tangled Feet
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hidden
    - Heat Wave
    - Boomburst
    - U-turn

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
    Ability: Competitive
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Protect
    - Wish
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Hyper Voice

Umbreon @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Foul Play
    - Taunt
    - Yawn

Crobat @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - Haze

My strategy is to always start with torterra and use stealth rock. Torterra typically goes down quickly, and so does Lapras. I'm willing to completely swap them out, but the other four have been far more useful to me.

That is good strategy, actually, though it seems easy.

Years
  • Torterra probably goes down easily because you invested in attack. Get its defenses up instead, and it will probably be able to get its *snicker* rocks off. It also has access to leech seed and stockpile along with synthesis. You would have it stick around longer of you utilize these. So it could use stealth rock and then stall out opponents.

Wigglytuff isn't known for speed. You may want to make it more defensive if you want to use it, I recommend a defensive set with stockpile, wish, protect, and maybe baton pass. Stockpile mixed with its great HA may make its bad defenses usable.

Consider doubles instead. Some pokemon have good synergy like crobat and torterra having an earthquake team up. Or competitive wigglytuff being targetted by the common intimidate for a state boost and a dazzling gleam or hyper voice to hit both pokemon.

Back