• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jungle Set Vaporeon 12/64 NON-HOLO

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Hi Everyone!

I'm very new here, and new to forums in general, so I apologise in advance if I do not put across my query and information particularly well. I've had a collection of Pokemon cards in my attic since I was younger and recently got into collecting again. I decided to put together my Jungle cards to see if I had the full 64 card set. As I was putting them together I noticed that I had two Vaporeon 12/64 cards. I believe, from searching online, that this card is meant to be holo and, as should be the case, one of them is indeed a holo card. However, the other card is non-holo and I can't see any examples of this online and I'm wondering if this is indeed a misprint.

I would like to know if this is a misprinted card, or if I'm missing something obvious. If this is the case I would also like to know the rarity and/or value of the card. I am not interested in profiting off of it, I just wish to understand it better and protect it.

Details:
    . Vaporeon
    . Jungle Set
    . 12/64
    . English
    . Not a 1st Edition
    . Not Shadowless

I'm not sure how to get an image into the post but I am 95% sure it is not a fake card as I opened a huge bundle of Jungle Set Cards 15 years ago and kept them all together. Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    George

Years
  • Hi Everyone!

I'm very new here, and new to forums in general, so I apologise in advance if I do not put across my query and information particularly well. I've had a collection of Pokemon cards in my attic since I was younger and recently got into collecting again. I decided to put together my Jungle cards to see if I had the full 64 card set. As I was putting them together I noticed that I had two Vaporeon 12/64 cards. I believe, from searching online, that this card is meant to be holo and, as should be the case, one of them is indeed a holo card. However, the other card is non-holo and I can't see any examples of this online and I'm wondering if this is indeed a misprint.

I would like to know if this is a misprinted card, or if I'm missing something obvious. If this is the case I would also like to know the rarity and/or value of the card. I am not interested in profiting off of it, I just wish to understand it better and protect it.

Details:
    . Vaporeon
    . Jungle Set
    . 12/64
    . English
    . Not a 1st Edition
    . Not Shadowless

I'm not sure how to get an image into the post but I am 95% sure it is not a fake card as I opened a huge bundle of Jungle Set Cards 15 years ago and kept them all together. Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    George

And you're absolutely certain the non-holo one is 12/64 and not 28/64? The only know misprints of 12/64 are "Early prints of the Unlimited Holofoil version were printed without the Jungle set symbol. This error was corrected later in the print run. " Try comparing the backsides of both.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Hi donavannj

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm 100% that this is not the 28/64 non-holo Vaporeon, but is in fact the 12/64. The reverse of the card is identical to my other 12/64. So in all regards this card is exactly the same as the Holo 12/64 except for its non-Holo artwork. Perhaps I am looking at this wrong and it is easier to consider it as a 28/64 non-Holo Vaporeon with the incorrect set number printed on it? Thanks again for your reply.

I tried to insert a link to images of the card but I cannot post a link until i've made at least 5 posts!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I know that this kind of error occurred with Dark Dragonite, so I suppose it's possible that it's legit and just not well-documented. Nothing strikes me as particularly suspicious about your pics (then again, some of the older counterfeits were better quality than what we tend to see today).

When you hold the card sideways, can you see a thin black strip between the layers?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    I know that this kind of error occurred with Dark Dragonite, so I suppose it's possible that it's legit and just not well-documented. Nothing strikes me as particularly suspicious about your pics (then again, some of the older counterfeits were better quality than what we tend to see today).

When you hold the card sideways, can you see a thin black strip between the layers?

Hi Icycatelf,

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate the help. I cannot see a strip between the layers, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to identify. My eyes may be failing me also. What I can say, is that the card, from the side, is identical to the Holo Vaporeon 12/64. That is to say, there is nothing present on one which is absent from the other. By all accounts, from all different angles, these cards appear identical apart from the Holo/Non-Holo artwork.

Do you propose that I get this card PSA'd? I assume this would be the only way to tell definitively if it is a genuine misprint. Thanks again!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Hi Icycatelf,

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate the help. I cannot see a strip between the layers, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to identify. My eyes may be failing me also. What I can say, is that the card, from the side, is identical to the Holo Vaporeon 12/64. That is to say, there is nothing present on one which is absent from the other. By all accounts, from all different angles, these cards appear identical apart from the Holo/Non-Holo artwork.

Do you propose that I get this card PSA'd? I assume this would be the only way to tell definitively if it is a genuine misprint. Thanks again!

You may need a magnifying glass to see the black strip.

m89KWWb.png

You could also try the light test, but I suggest looking for the black strip since you can still see through official cards depending on how bright your light is (albeit not as clearly).

I'm no hardcore collector but, if the black strip is there, I imagine that PSA'ing it wouldn't be a bad idea!

Last edited:
    Back