• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What should replace religion?

Kai

Wayfarer
Years
  • He's not responding. Do you think I offended him?
    If your prayer was sincere than not likely. God is a ruler not a servant. Be patient, stay observant, and expect the unexpected.
    I'm not saying that there's no God, I don't know and I don't think anyone ever will.
    Every person will get a chance to see if God is real after they die but it's usually a one way trip so don't expect any reviews.
    I don't think we need to replace religion either. We do however need to stop ignoring facts and update our beliefs. For example, the number you gave still isn't long enough.
    No surprise there. The total shown was only based on Adam's years on Earth and 1,000 years a day was an estimate based on a Bible verse, not an exact number. The estimated amount of years between now and the beginning of the Earth, going by the limited amount of information from the Bible and using a 1d;1,000y ratio when necessary, would be much greater yet it would still be way off the mark.
    The bible also describes the entire universe being created in seven days (focusing on the Earth since we didn't know there was a rest of the universe when it was written... weird how God didn't mention that to prophets)
    God mentions many things about the universe to people throughout the Bible. It's also possible to get a good view of the universe from Earth. Stars, comets, the moon, the sun, meteor showers, asteroids, various celestial events, the disk of our galaxy, the Northern/Southern lights, and many more things can be seen from the ground with human eyes. (Try traveling to an area with very little to no light pollution and take a look at the sky or to save on travel fees find a few pictures on the internet.) People could see the universe back then even if it wasn't through the eye of a high tech telescope. Now we can see the universe in much greater detail but it was still awe-inspiring and useful during those days.
    ... and yet the universe is a solid 10 or so billion years older than the Earth.
    Exact time between the creation of each celestial object isn't given and any amount of time could've gone by during the 7 days so that "10 or so billion years" estimate or the 13.772 billion year estimate doesn't debunk what is in the Bible.

kuzronk

Banned
    Years
  • I believe in the idea of a God despite not knowing what belief is the correct one. I don't hate science but that doesn't have most of the answers about the universe.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Religion need not be theistic. Modern Satanism is atheism with a set of moral guidelines.

Actually, that's just The Satanic Temple. Those who follow the Left Hand Path are theistic in nature or believe in the mystical. The Satanic Temple vs Lavey's Church of Satan difference is TST is more of a movement than a religion. Should know, I'm a card carrying satanist.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Why could they not coexist?
    Because there are instances where they contradict one another. At such times, it's either one explanation or the other and therefore, they cannot co-exist.

But the thing is, some religious people think that their religious explanations are common sense. They think that people who turn to science for answers are making an issue more complicated than it needs to be, when religion offers its own explanation.
    And this is perhaps one of the most dangerous things about religion and why it is so deeply rooted within our society.

She

is home
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2018
    I don't think religion should be replaced. People have the right to believe in what they want and as long it doesn't start a war, I'm fine with it.

Back