• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: PokéCommunity League Signup Tournament: Finals Recap

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen yesterday
pclfinaltitle.png

The finals of the PokéCommunity League Signup Tournament took place last week, and here's the recap of one of the battles!

The Recap and Analysis

Sirfetch’d

good read! Finals were certainly exciting! I know what it's like to click the wrong move under pressure, I do it all of the time 8(

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Just to comment on the battle analysis part:

I went for HP Ice because I thought that Lando had more HP than it did so even +1 Power Gem wouldn't kill it, and that it would be a guaranteed KO on Beedrill since it has wet tissue paper for defenses. Bad roll yeah, but it wouldn't have mattered if there wasn't the burn hax. But either way, I screwed up, it's still my fault for not slowing down and thinking and checking stuff.

My Volcarona doesn't actually run bulk EVs, her spread is 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Timid. I'm pretty sure it's always been that way and that it was during our battles. Which brings up the question of why that Outrage didn't kill; like you said, the calculator shows that max Attack Dragonite would require Volcarona to have some bulk to live the hit. Either there's something off about Showdown's and/or the damage calculator's damage forumula, or Shawn was not actually running 252 Atk with +Atk Nature is all I can think of.

Nice article though.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Either there's something off about Showdown's and/or the damage calculator's damage forumula, or Shawn was not actually running 252 Atk with +Atk Nature is all I can think of.

To debunk that right away, I was 252 Attack Adamant nature with Choice Band.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
To debunk that right away, I was 252 Attack Adamant nature with Choice Band.
Oh shit I think see what it is now, looking at the replay

Misty Terrain was still up on that turn. And Misty Terrain reduces damage from Dragon type attacks:
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 466-549 (149.8 - 176.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona in Misty Terrain: 232-274 (74.5 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That would explain it.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Wow I can't believe I missed that, thanks guys.

Article will be updated soon.

Sirfetch’d

I didn't notice that either, but wow. I am still not used to all of the terrain effects lol

Back