• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon of the Week #5: Tangrowth

Sirfetch’d

Welcome to Pokemon of the Week! This is a new series that I will be doing each and every week during the Sun and Moon meta. I will be selecting one Pokemon and list a few things about it such as what tier(s) it is viable in, what are some of the best movesets, and then open a discussion on the Pokemon. You can chat about your experiences using or facing the featured Pokémon. And with that, let's continue this week with one of the bulkiest members of OU, Tangrowth.

#465 Tangrowth

Tangrowth has been quite the standout Pokémon for quite a while now. It picked up usage really fast towards the middle of the ORAS meta and still remains relevant today. It has a really good defensive typing in mono Grass as well as one of the best abilities in the game, Regenerator. Tangrowth also has one of the best Defensive stats in the entire tier at base 125. While it's Special Defense is quite low, Tangrowth will often carry Assault Vest to make up for this weakness. In fact, Tangrowth is the best user of this item in OU and arguably all of Pokémon. Equipping Assault Vest not only allows Tangrowth to tank Physical mons naturally such as Zygarde, Landorus, and Garchomp, but also allows Tangrowth to stomach hits from powerful Special Attackers such as Tapu Koko and Ash-Greninja. Unlike some notable walls in OU, Tangrowth is not a momentum loss as it has very powerful offenses and a plethora of good moves such as Giga Drain, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Knock Off, and Poison Jab. If you want to give this curly critter a go, here are some cool sets:

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Sassy Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Knock Off
    - Hidden Power Ice/ Fire
    - Earthquake

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Knock Off
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power Ice

A more offensive set with Life Orb could also be used, but wastes it's defensive capabilities.

What are your thoughts on Tangrowth? Do you enjoy using it? What sets do you like?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I'e always thought Amoonguss outclassed it because of Spore.

I guess the mono-grass and higher defence (ie not Landorus/Garchomp bait) do it a world of favours.

I think the Assault Vest variant sounds the best.

Years
  • Tangrowth is honestly really underrated and I should use it more. It's shuts down some really nasty offensive threats and has excellent longevity with Regenerator, Giga Drain etc.

Personally I think the AV set is far superior to Rocky Helmet though.

Back