• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Her Z-Form

ImMrRoboto

That's MISTER Roboto to you!
Years
  • Warning: Romance Ahead!

"Exeggutor Island, we're here!" The captain yelled.

Sol looked up from his Pokédex. He whistled and gestured to his backpack. The Rotom's eyes fluttered open and and flew into the front pocket. Sol got up and brushed himself off. He and Lillie had gotten a lucky break when they managed to convince the captain to give them a ride to Exeggutor Island to get the Sun Flute, so it wouldn't be a good idea to keep him waiting.

Opening the door to his room and stepping out into the hallway, he turned right and started walking toward Lillie's room. He wasn't sure she was so eager to go with him. He wasn't complaining, of course, he enjoyed her company. But for some reason, she wouldn't let him go without her.

Arriving at her door, he gently tapped on it. "Lillie, we're here." Hearing no response, he knocked again. And again. Still nothing. "Lillie?" He probed. Still hearing nothing, he began to slowly open the door.

"Please don't be changing, Please don't be changing, Please don't be changing." He whispered to himself as he opened the door. Once the door was open, he could see that the lights were off, and Lillie was in bed. Breathing a sigh of relief, he started walking over to the bed. As he passed the desk, he noticed a picture.

It was a picture of a man, a woman, and two children. All four had blond hair and pale skin. The man was wearing a lab coat, and the woman and children were wearing pristine white outfits. They all seemed extremely happy, like a family. Sol could see some kind of gold emblem behind them, but the people were obstructing it. The weirdest part of the picture were some odd wet spots on it as though it had been in some rain or someone had been...

crying?

"Sol?" He heard weakly behind him. In surprise, Sol dropped the photograph and whirled around to see Lillie sitting up and rubbing her eyes. Sol smiled and started walking over to her.

"Good Morning, Lillie, we're here." Sol started helping her up. "You must've fallen asleep right after we left."

"Really? It sorta just feels like a few minutes." Lillie said groggily. Sol smiled and got her on her feet.

Once she finally woke up, they went up onto the island. The sky was grey and overcast, and the wind was blowing briskly. The island itself was beautiful. All of the grass was nice and green, and the island was dotted with palm trees. A small hill rose over part of the island.

"Here we are, Exeggutor Island. Try to hurry, I'll have to go back to town soon." The captain shouted as they got off before going below deck.

"Let's go" Sol said as they started toward the hill. The island was mostly level, and the hill was the only place on the island that they could get a view of the island.

"This place is beautiful, look at all of the trees over there! I'll have to see about coming back here sometime. But right now it looks like it might rain." Lillie said, looking to the sky. "We'd better hurry up and get the flute. C'mo-" she cut off abruptly and started pointing at something behind him. "Did you see that?!"

"What?" Sol turned around and started looking around. There was nothing behind him but a palm tree. A rather tall Palm tree but... but...

But it was moving. Yes, it's leaves were swaying in the wind, but more than that. The trunk of the tree was constantly shifting and wobbling. It was alive. Sol looked back to Lille, motioning her to get behind him. She did so quickly. Sol slowly began to move toward the tree, reaching a hand back into his bag, rummaging around for the Pokéball containing his Decidueye.

Suddenly, the tree appeared to leap out of the ground, revealing a pair of legs and a tail. The three yellow orbs below it's leaves that Sol had thought were fruits revealed eyes and a mouth. The tree opened it's mouths and uttered a loud cry. Surprised, Sol backed into Lillie and they both fell over onto each other.

"Guuuuutor!" The tree looked at them oddly for a moment before turning and walking over to another spot and burrowing itself back into the ground.

"Phew, it's alright Lillie, it must have just been one of the Exeggutors. I swear I'm always forgetting about these Alolan variants." Sol breathes a sigh of relief before turning back toward Lillie, and realizing that he had fallen on top of her. "Oh I'm so sorry!" Sol quickly scrambled up and offered a hand to help Lillie.

"Don't worry, I'm alright, it didn't hurt at all. I was just surprised, you know, about the Pokémon and... and..." She continued to stammer on like this for a while. As she talked, he noticed how she was constantly shifting her weight, and if Sol didn't know any better, he could've sworn she was blushing.

"Oh, good." Sol replied once she gave up on trying to form a sentence. Then they both turned and started walking toward a hill in the distance. They were halfway there when:

drip

"Gah!"

Sol whirled around and saw Lillie rubbing her nose. "What happened?" He asked, concerned

"Something just fell on my nose. I think it was water."

drip

drip

drip

It started to gently rain. Then it started getting harder, and harder. Both Sol and Lillie put their hands over their heads and ran toward the hill. Spotting a nearby cave, they both quickly ran inside.

"Phew" Lillie sighed once they were safely inside. "Luckily, it looks like I only got a few drops on my skirt."

"Great" Sol was still panting after running that hard. He sat himself down and took off is backpack. "You okay, Rotom?" A small buzz from his bag gave him his answer. "Awesome, buddy." Sol turned to Lillie "How are you holding up?"

"Great, for... for the most part" She was panting from the run too. "Just... Just a little tired." She sat down next to him and took off her pink bag as well.

Outside, the rain was only getting harder and harder. Sol and Lillie just sat in silence, watching the rain falling. It was surprisingly hypnotic, watching the rain. It seemed like ages before one of them spoke.

"Hey Lillie." Sol broke the silence "Can I ask you something?"

Lillie looked up at him "Sure, what is it?"

"I just wanted to know, why are you doing this?"

Lillie tilted her head at him "What do you mean, doing what?"

"All of this. Saving Lusamine, the woman who completely ruined your life! The woman that nearly destroyed the Alola Region! Why are you going through all of this to rescue her?"

Lillie looked back out to the rain. She didn't answer for a long time. Sol looked down, afraid he'd upset her by bringing it up.

"Because she's my mother." Sol looked back up to see her still looking out to the rain. "At least she used to be. Before Nebby, before Null, before the Ultra Beasts. Before any of this. She was my mom. A woman that I could go to for help and guidance."

More silence. After a long time, she turned to face Sol. He could see tears welling up in her eyes.

"Back when I had a family. When I was young, she was a wonderful woman, and my father... my father was a scientist in the Aether Foundation. He was nicest man on the planet, he was always there when I needed him. But then..." She looked down and a tear dropped from her eye. "He... He passed." Tears started coming out of her eyes. "He passed and left me with my mother. She was... Never the same after that. She was... different. She never seemed to have time for me or Gladion anymore. She was always working on my father's research on the Ultra Beasts. But as time went on, she became more and more obsessed with the Beasts and not on my father!" She was slowly raising her voice until she was practically shouting at Sol. "I tried to stay happy, but Gladion... He was always so angry at everyone. When he was a teenager, my caretaker Wicke came into my room and asked me if I knew where he was. I... I didn't know at the time. I didn't know until later, when Wicke told me. Ever since then, Mother... she... she didn't..." Lillie completely broke down into tears.

Sol quickly hugged her. She placed her head on him and cried into his shoulder. "Shhh, it's okay. I'm sorry, I didn't... You don't have to go on."

The rain continued to fall outside the cave. Sol was rather taken aback by her outburst. Normally, she was relatively shy and quiet, so hearing her explode like this was unsettling, to say the least.

"No, I want to keep going. I want to face it." She said, wiping her tears away.

"Are you sure? I'm not going to make you." Lillie nodded

Sol gently grabbed her shoulders and set her in front of him.

"Okay. I'm here, if you're sure, I'll listen."

"Thank you, Sol." She took a deep breath and looked at Sol and began to began gently. "After... After Gladion left with Null, my mother... I meant nothing to her anymore. I was just another employee, another asset. It was like she was just waiting for me to betray her too. But I tried to help her out, tried to be useful and silent." She sniveled "But then I saw Nebby." She looked down at her bag. "They were doing something to him, some kind of experiment. I just couldn't watch. I wanted to leave, but I couldn't. I couldn't abandon him. I couldn't just leave him to this." She turned back to Sol. "I didn't realize what I'd done until it was too late. One second, I'm watching Nebby get experimented on, and the next, he's in my bag, and I'm running. I didn't even know where was running to, The Aether Paradise was an island, I had nowhere to hide. I made it up to the Conservation floor before I was cornered, and then Nebby here saved me. After that, after that, you know the rest." She wiped her face and tried to smile up at Sol. "So I guess that's why I'm saving her, because maybe, just maybe, I can save her, make her right again. I'm saving her so that I can have a family again."

Sol reached out and hugged her again, allowing her to spill a few tears into his shoulder.

"T-thank you, Sol. After all that's happened, after going back to the Aether Paradise, and seeing what she's done. She's worse than ever. Without you, I don't know what I'd ..." Her voice trailed off as she let go of Sol and sat back down. For while, they simply watched the rain fall.

"Sol, you didn't have to help me with this, and I'm grateful for that, but I want to know. Why are you doing this? If it wasn't for Mother, and I don't suppose it was for kicks, why are doing this?" Sol thought about this for a while, and then turned to Lillie and answered.

"Because I trust you. Because you said we needed to, and I trust you. You're my friend, Lillie, and to be honest, I doubt I'd even be here right now if it weren't for you. " He pointed out the cave, to the coast of the island. "At this point, if you told me run out and dive into the ocean, I'd probably do it twice." Lillie giggled a little bit, but not much. The joy quickly disappeared from her face and she looked down somberly. "Please Lillie, I want to help, please just tell me what's wrong. Was it something I said?"

"No, it was just the pity. I'm... both used to it." Sol looked at her, confused. Pity? He had meant everything he said. As Lillie began to talk, she also began to gently weep. "I'm not used to someone pitying someone who... someone like me. As I grew up, Mother always told me exactly what I was. Every time I made a mistake, she would scold me. She would tell me that I'm ugly and useless. That I'd never amount to anything." She sobbed and covered her face with her hands before continuing. "That no matter how hard I tried, I would never be able to- "

"Stop it!" Sol had had enough. Lillie looked up at him, shocked. Sol gently grabbed her hands and looked into her eyes. "None of that is true! I can't believe anyone could say that about you! You're amazing, no matter what Lusamine said! You're smart, kind, funny, caring, pretty!" At this, Lillie's eyes widened and she began to blush. "You're an amazing person, and whatever she says, you're my friend and you're -"

Lillie didn't mean to do it. She just got caught up in the moment. She didn't really even know what was happening until it was too late.

She leaned forward and kissed him. Not for long, once she realized what was happening, she immediately pulled back, just as surprised as Sol was.

"I'm so sorry! I think I must have slipped or... or... I guess... it... I..." Lillie's face was turning redder with every failed attempt at a sentence. Eventually, she gave up and covered her face with her hands once again.

"Hey, it's okay. I understand." Sol attempted to reassure her.

Lillie took her hands off of her face. She was still blushing. "Oh, okay, good." She stuttered and faced back outside of the cave. It looked like the rain was beginning to let up. "Looks like the storm's almost over" she unconvincingly giggled, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, good. We can keep looking for the flute." After that, they sat in silence, more awkward than tense like before. Eventually, Lillie spoke up.

"Hey Sol?" He looked up and at her. "Did you... I mean... Well, those things you said about me. Are they true? Do really think I'm... Well..."

Sol smiled. "Yes, I meant every word, Lillie. All of that and more." Lillie looked at him and smiled too.

"I'm very grateful. Other than Professor Kukui and Mo- Professor Burnet, you're the only one who's said anything nice about me."

"Anytime, Lillie, anytime." They both beamed as they looked at each other. Outside, the clouds had dispersed revealing the Sun. They both watched and laughed together as they an Exeggutor started shaking itself violently, trying to get all of the water off of it. Afterward, Sol got up and put on his backpack. As Lillie finished putting on hers, Sol offered his hand to help her up. Smiling, she took it.

Together, they started walking up the hill.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think that this is a nice little romance story. Although I haven't played Sun and Moon, so I can't comment on the information given, the story went along well. My one thing is that while Lillie acts like a normal girl with a crush, Sol's interactions are more...platonic, or at least it seems that way to me.

The rain continued to fall outside the cave. Sol was rather taken aback by her outburst. Normally, she was relatively shy and quiet, so hearing her explode like this was unsettling, to say the least.
    Showing v. telling, my friend. What you've shown so far does not match up with Sol's description.
    "No, it was just the pity. I'm... both used to it." Sol looked at her, confused. Pity?
    *not
    "Looks like the storm's almost over" she unconvincingly giggled, trying to change the subject.
    There are a good few times you forget periods, like here. Also "she unconvincingly giggled" doesn't seem to flow well to me.

Vragon

There are times in your story where you transition from one character's action or inner thoughts to another.

More silence. After a long time, she turned to face Sol. He could see tears welling up in her eyes.
    This isn't bad, but it can get confusing in "who" is doing "what". Since there are only two main characters in this doing actions like
    these would be fine if there was some notification beforehand. Now, this isn't a problem for everyone, but a reader that tends to focus
    more of his attention on the subjects (Me included in that) would be perplexed with a sudden transition and have to read over to clarify.
    It mainly just slows the pacing.

I'm also don't see how the title reflects the work. To be honest, I was half expecting her to do a Z-move or find a crystal.
    While I can pinpoint where you were coming from, it isn't enough linkage to give it a title like that.
    Since this is more of a Romance scene, perhaps something more related to Sol and Lillie's talk, or a Metaphorical phrase would be fitting.
    Also there was one thing wrong with the background. It is a spoiler so it will be in this box below.
    If anyone doesn't want to be spoiled, please DON'T click on the box.
    Spoiler:

Other than that and the stuff Aisu mentioned, this was good. I could definitely see you put a lot of thought into how they would interact.
    I liked the little game stuff you put in and the little stuff you put in for originality. It was nice to put Lillie and Sol in a little Romance.

This was coordinated well and I enjoyed this (I don't usually like romance stories like this, but yours was done well. And I have to admit, you knew what you were doing.)

Keep up the good writing

ImMrRoboto

Years
  • I'm afraid you're wrong. I actually have no idea what I'm doing. This is actually my first (good) story, so I was clueless.

As for the spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Thank you both for the feedback!

Vragon

That may be true, however the writing itself was well done.
    Take pride in that, even if it was only something you just did from nowhere.

User19sq

First off, let me just tell you how much I hate you. From the moment I read those first words in bold print, I began hating you. I'M WAITING FOR THAT LOVELY PIECE TO TURN EIGHTEEN, DAMNIT!!!

Joking aside, allow me to offer my thoughts. I never liked reading works that contain existing characters due to fears of having them be shown as other people than they really are. This... I'm afraid to say I don't like this. Normally I try to be optimistic, unwilling to admit if I disliked a work, but I have to be blunt now. Because of Lillie. But my reasoning is summed up with this:

Lillie crying is a no-no in my book. Even this lampshade knows it. Not only didn't she ever cry, but you gotta remember that Lillie's one tough chick. She kept a brave face all throughout the story, and even delivered a The Reason You Suck Speech to blonde Ragyo at the climax of it all. Like Acerola, who's younger than her, Lillie's a hard girl to break, and Gladion's just as tough as her, only more out-there with it; must run in the family. Basically, unless someone died or catching Nebby were played up with a twisted knife, Lillie crying is... very out of character.

Next, allow me to address the inconsistencies of the story, if it were an interpretation of the games. "Exeggutor" plural is still "Exeggutor", no S required. Like deer or fish, Pokémon don't use an S at the end. Which is glaring when Samson made the mistake with Persian, calling them Persians, like the ethnic group. On top of that, the lack of a battle seems dull, and makes it look like you simply threw that scene in for either length fodder, or because it happened in the games; but it's just "meh" seeing a beast simply get up and do an MC Hammer sidestep to a few feet away... Next, I can remember the boat the captain used to take the player and Lillie to the island. It was a two-seater. Not sure it'd have a bedroom, considering how the only boat that had more than one room was the restaurant with its upstairs room. And next, I have eyes. I can see the family's hair color is blonde, if not a bit platinum blonde. But I think many will agree when I say none of them have white hair.

Finally, Lillie only knew Burnet for a month or two, maybe a tiny bit more. I don't think it was enough for her to consider her a mother figure, by any means. We all already know that Burnet's so busy, that she hardly spends time with her own husband, whose shack is where she sent Lillie to stay at. And Burnet herself only shows up once during the game, with no characterization for any possible relationship with Lillie thereafter. While it's cute that someone like Lillie could've seen a surrogate in the professor, the claim is baseless when based on what the games have given us. Especially glaring in how Lillie never stopped seeing Lusamine as her mother in spite of her wicked actions, which makes the need for a different mother figure mute.

If you're looking for some positivity, then here it is: the story was good, and it may have worked in some other context, such as if you were to write it from the ground up and develop everything in your will from the very start to change already-existing details to drive the story to this chapter. But you didn't, and all I have to go by is what's been given to me by the games. Of course like the anime, some things could slide by us through the excuse of interpretations; the boat's size, for instance. In the show, towns are far larger than they are in the games, so a change in size may be overlooked by some. But because we've seen the boat itself, it's hard to believe Lillie would have a whole bedroom in it, since, well... it doesn't look like it'd take more than 45 minutes to reach the island...

I don't mean to make you feel bad. I don't mean to insult you. This is just my criticism. And my thesis is this: if you are just starting out in writing a fanfic of any kind of any series, don't begin by using already-existing characters; use your own originals. It takes tons of research and bouncing of ideas and tropes off someone else to nail down an existing character just right for a fic. This is usually why I never use such characters, nor do I usually read fics that contain them, as looking at out-of-character moments makes me wince and twitch at the eyes. I can excuse Lillie's tears on the photograph, as it could've been stained before the player moved into Alola while the inflicted turmoil of ruin and escape were still fresh in her rapidly-beating heart, but this scene in question, while ship-teasing, was actually much more optimistic than this; you must understand how Lillie reaching the second flute would feel like an "I'm so close to fixing everything that it makes me giggle like a little school-girl" feeling she was more likely to have at the time. As for Sol, well... like Pokémon themselves, the player character is much more free to be played with by your hands than Lillie is. But in the end, I felt him to be quite flat; short stories require tons of information, tons of detail, since we don't have anywhere else to find behind-the-scenes characterization. So the best thing you could've done is, well, start from the very beginning to develop Sol. And speaking of what a short story needs: including unimportant or unnecessary information is quite the no-no, which is why the Exeggutor scene makes me disappointed.

Your strengths lie in grammar and punctuation, but you've still got a long way to go before you can use pre-existing characters. I suggest you begin with nothing but OCs, and a different story other than the one we've all experienced. Try something that we didn't see in Alola, such as before the game, after the game, other places during the game; anything could work, from the story of Tapu Bulu destroying the Thrifty Megastore for having run out of toilet paper to one Trainer taking the island challenge to slowly fall from grace and eventually end up at Po Town. Writing isn't easy. I do it all the time, and if you look at the feedback left in my thread here, you'll see I screw up frequently too. But practice makes perfect. Just keep practicing, and maybe you'll eventually get Lillie right. But I feel this wasn't it.

Try to take a moment to breathe, and think it all over.

ImMrRoboto

Years
  • First off, let me just tell you how much I hate you. From the moment I read those first words in bold print, I began hating you. I'M WAITING FOR THAT LOVELY PIECE TO TURN EIGHTEEN, DAMNIT!!!

Joking aside, allow me to offer my thoughts. I never liked reading works that contain existing characters due to fears of having them be shown as other people than they really are. This... I'm afraid to say I don't like this. Normally I try to be optimistic, unwilling to admit if I disliked a work, but I have to be blunt now. Because of Lillie. But my reasoning is summed up with this:

Lillie crying is a no-no in my book. Even this lampshade knows it. Not only didn't she ever cry, but you gotta remember that Lillie's one tough chick. She kept a brave face all throughout the story, and even delivered a The Reason You Suck Speech to blonde Ragyo at the climax of it all. Like Acerola, who's younger than her, Lillie's a hard girl to break, and Gladion's just as tough as her, only more out-there with it; must run in the family. Basically, unless someone died or catching Nebby were played up with a twisted knife, Lillie crying is... very out of character.

Next, allow me to address the inconsistencies of the story, if it were an interpretation of the games. "Exeggutor" plural is still "Exeggutor", no S required. Like deer or fish, Pokémon don't use an S at the end. Which is glaring when Samson made the mistake with Persian, calling them Persians, like the ethnic group. On top of that, the lack of a battle seems dull, and makes it look like you simply threw that scene in for either length fodder, or because it happened in the games; but it's just "meh" seeing a beast simply get up and do an MC Hammer sidestep to a few feet away... Next, I can remember the boat the captain used to take the player and Lillie to the island. It was a two-seater. Not sure it'd have a bedroom, considering how the only boat that had more than one room was the restaurant with its upstairs room. And next, I have eyes. I can see the family's hair color is blonde, if not a bit platinum blonde. But I think many will agree when I say none of them have white hair.

Finally, Lillie only knew Burnet for a month or two, maybe a tiny bit more. I don't think it was enough for her to consider her a mother figure, by any means. We all already know that Burnet's so busy, that she hardly spends time with her own husband, whose shack is where she sent Lillie to stay at. And Burnet herself only shows up once during the game, with no characterization for any possible relationship with Lillie thereafter. While it's cute that someone like Lillie could've seen a surrogate in the professor, the claim is baseless when based on what the games have given us. Especially glaring in how Lillie never stopped seeing Lusamine as her mother in spite of her wicked actions, which makes the need for a different mother figure mute.

If you're looking for some positivity, then here it is: the story was good, and it may have worked in some other context, such as if you were to write it from the ground up and develop everything in your will from the very start to change already-existing details to drive the story to this chapter. But you didn't, and all I have to go by is what's been given to me by the games. Of course like the anime, some things could slide by us through the excuse of interpretations; the boat's size, for instance. In the show, towns are far larger than they are in the games, so a change in size may be overlooked by some. But because we've seen the boat itself, it's hard to believe Lillie would have a whole bedroom in it, since, well... it doesn't look like it'd take more than 45 minutes to reach the island...

I don't mean to make you feel bad. I don't mean to insult you. This is just my criticism. And my thesis is this: if you are just starting out in writing a fanfic of any kind of any series, don't begin by using already-existing characters; use your own originals. It takes tons of research and bouncing of ideas and tropes off someone else to nail down an existing character just right for a fic. This is usually why I never use such characters, nor do I usually read fics that contain them, as looking at out-of-character moments makes me wince and twitch at the eyes. I can excuse Lillie's tears on the photograph, as it could've been stained before the player moved into Alola while the inflicted turmoil of ruin and escape were still fresh in her rapidly-beating heart, but this scene in question, while ship-teasing, was actually much more optimistic than this; you must understand how Lillie reaching the second flute would feel like an "I'm so close to fixing everything that it makes me giggle like a little school-girl" feeling she was more likely to have at the time. As for Sol, well... like Pokémon themselves, the player character is much more free to be played with by your hands than Lillie is. But in the end, I felt him to be quite flat; short stories require tons of information, tons of detail, since we don't have anywhere else to find behind-the-scenes characterization. So the best thing you could've done is, well, start from the very beginning to develop Sol. And speaking of what a short story needs: including unimportant or unnecessary information is quite the no-no, which is why the Exeggutor scene makes me disappointed.

Your strengths lie in grammar and punctuation, but you've still got a long way to go before you can use pre-existing characters. I suggest you begin with nothing but OCs, and a different story other than the one we've all experienced. Try something that we didn't see in Alola, such as before the game, after the game, other places during the game; anything could work, from the story of Tapu Bulu destroying the Thrifty Megastore for having run out of toilet paper to one Trainer taking the island challenge to slowly fall from grace and eventually end up at Po Town. Writing isn't easy. I do it all the time, and if you look at the feedback left in my thread here, you'll see I screw up frequently too. But practice makes perfect. Just keep practicing, and maybe you'll eventually get Lillie right. But I feel this wasn't it.

Try to take a moment to breathe, and think it all over.

Thank You!

I can see the logic in most of your points. I would like to mention that the white hair was a mistake that I missed in proof reading, I either didn't notice or didn't remember the bit about Burnet, and I exaggerated the size of the ship because otherwise they'd both be sitting next to each other on a small ship with the captain standing right in front of them.

Also, what was the first part about?

Back