• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Breeding Every Starter Pokemon (Every Generation)

Years
  • I wrote a post a couple days ago in anger over the fact that I had encountered a shiny Beldum (a dumb shiny to hunt for your first ever shiny hunt) and proceeded to fail it. I quickly realized that shiny hunting wasn't for me and decided to try something else, breeding. While trying out the Masuda method, I got the idea to breed every single starter Pokemon from every generation on Pokemon Sun. I am not a competitive battler, and as such was simply looking for two things in each starter I bread: My name as the OT, and the proper gender (ie. all males except for Chikorita, Snivy, Fennekin, and Popplio).

I did have access to a number of the starters through games I already had (X, OR, Blue on virtual console), but I was not resetting X and OR so the only starter I could get from them was the one I chose at the beginning of each. In the end, after scouring the depths of the GTS, I ended up finding every single starter, and each starter I traded for was a fair trade (I wouldn't bother with people asking for legendaries). Although breeding for every starter may seem pointless to some, to me it is my greatest ever achievement in any Pokemon game.

I have always liked the starters in each generation over almost every other Pokemon, and I have now given myself the chance to use any starter in the history of Pokemon for any upcoming playthroughs I plan on doing in Sun and eventually, Ultra Moon.

Have any of you guys ever done anything similar to this? By similar, I don't mean breeding for the starters, I mean breeding for the enjoyment of the pokemon that you will end up with, regardless of whether it is shiny or has perfect IVs and things like that. I think thats what would make breeding, and just looking for Pokemon in general the most satisfying, that fact that these Pokemon are special to us without having any special qualities themselves. I figured I'd include a picture of the starters as an attachment to the post. Funny, up until today I had never seen any of the Sinnoh starters in 3DS graphics. Hope you guys all have a great day!

Steven C.

Attachments

• Starters.jpg
      Starters.jpg
      1 MB · Views: 5
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I used to get really excited about breeding starters or other Pokemon without good IVs, but I suppose my tastes have changed over time. I'll breed the occasional random Pokemon for my Pokedex, but I tend to pay attention to nature and IVs for every Pokemon I breed now. (I haven't gotten a 6 IV Ditto in gen VII yet, and I don't really want to send my gen VI one forward because I still like breeding there, so I haven't really done any breeding in gen VII so far.) I don't actively breed for shinies too often (my only active shiny breeding experience was for a shiny Squirtle in gen VI; it took forever, and in the end, I ended up being disappointed because I wanted to name it after an earlier generation Blastoise, and it didn't have the right gender for the nickname I had planned on using, and its missing IV was in the wrong stat), but I do try to use Pokemon from different languages to maximize my chances of randomly getting a shiny.

My focus in breeding has changed as the generations have gone by. At first, I was thrilled to be able to breed things like starters and Eevee and the like at all. Then, I learned about egg moves, and was really excited to breed a Teddiursa with a couple of egg moves. After that, I began to focus on at least getting the right nature, and EV training my Pokemon. And then, after an RNG shiny breeding interlude in gen IV and a break from breeding in gen V (for the most part), I became really interested in breeding 5 IV Pokemon in gen VI. I haven't done much with it in the past year or so, but my current breeding project is to breed a 5IV Pokemon (with the one missing IV in a stat I don't care about) with any egg moves I want. I have a lot of fun filling it in.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I've never bred for shininess or IV's, and I never intend to. I do breed competitive movesets though, and I do use them competitively...but my #1 goal is not to win, but rather to have fun. ^^ I particularly like breeding and training traditionally "RU" and "NU" Pokémon and using them in the higher tiers. One of my most memorable battles ended with my opponent saying "I can't believe I lost to a Pachirisu." :D

Years
  • Since breeding the starters I've decided to breed some more Pokemon in Sun. I decided to breed Pokemon that were for the most part unobtainable in Sun/Moon and that I would potentially like to bring over to Ultra Sun/Moon to use in my playthrough. So far, I have bred a Phione, Tyrunt, Amaura, Larvesta, Larvitar, Rotom, Spiritomb, Mareep, and Anorith. So far the three I am going to for sure bring over to Ultra Sun/Moon are Phione, Mareep, and Anorith as I've never used any of them in a playthrough before.

Funny side note, I traded for a Larvitar on the GTS that ended up having 5IVs, and bred it with my Ditto that I caught with 4IVs. I decided to only collect 4 eggs to hatch and not he 4th egg I hatched a 6IV female Larvitar. I looked up after what the odds were of hatching a 6IV pokemon with a 4Iv and 5Iv parent with a destiny knot, and turns out I got pretty lucky lol

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I am creating a massive army of Natus to distribute across the multiverse so that everyone can get a copy of the best Pokémon. Not really breeding for stats or shininess though.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I have never enjoyed breeding and basically only do it to get dex entries, so no. I still highly prefer catching though; it just feels quicker.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I used to breed pretty cool Pokémon for the sake of Wonder Trading them and getting some surprise awesome Pokémon. Afterwards I kinda got obsessed with IVs, then Shinies so I lost the fun of just breeding normally.

Years
  • I used to breed Shinies with good IV's and HA and movesets for a while, my main motivation was just to have my different colored favorites and I used to gift my friends with some of them, I lost that motivation a long while ago sadly.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • When I first started breeding, I had no idea it could be used to obtain egg moves, better IVs or even a higher shiny chance. I was just being really excited to have a box full of Turtwig, a Pokémon I thought could only be obtained once prior.
    Later, when I actually started serious breeding, it was still mostly for the sake of moves. I used to chainbreed moves from one Pokémon to the other just for fun and sometimes to make them somewhat competitively useful. But mostly just to have obscure moves to a certain Pokémon.

Since TMs are infinitely usable, there is a lot less need to breed for moves. Only in the current generation I started breeding for nature and IVs, but to get 100% perfect Pokémon takes really long and it's by far not as enjoyable as breeding in earlier days for me.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Breeding is a tedious process, especially if you're doing it for those perfect IVs/Shininess. I did breed occasionally, but it was mostly only for Dex completion.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back